The Beginners Question – Which tackle…..

craynerd

In my opinion there are a few things to look for when buying budget gear that will help you in avoiding buying cra....rubbish.

Rods - Look in the description for "cork/part cork handle", new match or feeder rods that boast "full duplon or eva handle" are usually best avoided, as are "carbon composite", go for full carbon. Also look for "lined guides" as these are a must, a fixed reel seat is also desirable.

Reels - Ball-bearings, the more the better, the more they have the smoother they should be. It should also have a "roller-bearing". Infinate anti-reverse would also be on my must have spec list. Look for spare spool(s) in the description, really handy and you'll miss them if you don't have 'em.

p.s. welcome to AN

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all of you......i am driving down to Trev's Tackle 13-17, tomorrow....spoke to him on the phone and he seems like a nice guy,...with lots of info.....i will let you know what i come away with!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

if thats Trevs of Wilmslow (which it looks liek it is) you wont go wrong at all :D the guy is a very knowledgable bloke and will point you in the right direction especially with his rods :D you tell him where your fishing and what you intend on catching and he will kit you out for your budget :D:D:D

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

Hello craynerd and welcome to AnglersNet :)

You'll find us a friendly lot and as you can see, always willing to help someone out. I was going to offer advice when I read your first post but the others have pretty much said everything, and you seem to have everything sussed now :)

Let us all know how you get on, and please don't hesitate to ask for advice.

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Thanks guys! yep it is Trevs of Wilmslow, gonna drive down there first thing

Andrew Boyd, thats the first thing everyone sais when i join a chat....very funny, spelling isnt my strong point! lol i`m studying Pharmacology, drug action ect.

Ok i`ll let you know what i buy....Thanks for the welcomes...and thanks for the help

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Hey Rob.i, well i`m from Bury, but at Uni so live the week in Fallowfield.

I havent given this 100% thought to be honest, i was going to ask later but i didnt want to bombard you with so many questions!!

When i use to fish, i went to Fishermans Retreat - Edenfield, The Burs - Brandolsome, but my first stop was going to be some lodges in Bradshaw-Gate, my uncle fishes here and apparently they are vwery good, they are situtated just behind Jumbles Reservour.

These are all very local places so i dont know if they mean anything to you.

Of course we also have The Irwell running through ramsbottom which i have caught a nice few Trout in , in my youth. However being a bit older now i dont want to brake any fishing rules, so i`m unsure if you can fish in the river without a pass? Maybe someone could answer this?

Along these lines, whats the deal with a rod lisence ? How much and whats it allow you to do ?

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

Craynerd have fished FR .the burrs lodge is now under the control of Ramsbottom AA of which I am a member. The Irwell is controlled by various clubs on its length RAA and Bury anglers as well as Salford anglers. Day tickets are available.Get a coarse fishing licence from the Post Office before you fish anywhere. PS have fished Jumbles but not Bradshawgate ponds

when you think you know everything think again....