GIVING UP FISHING?

Janet

Sad to say, but after a wonderful few years fishing, both coarse and fly, I'm now giving up...well, sort of...!

My fly fishing has had to be curtailed because of an ongoing shoulder injury...I simply can't cast properly any more...all my fly fishing gear (rod, reels etc) has been given to someone who will appreciate and use it. No regrets there...I'm glad that someone will get some fun out of it. I had great fun and some great memories...who knows, one day, perhaps I can try again, but not at the moment.

Coarse fishing is pretty much going to take a back seat now, apart from when I'm on my narrowboat trips.

My local club lake isn't the place it was...I've gone from catching a fabulous selection of roach, rudd, perch, ide, bream, gudgeon etc to catching nothing but carp....single maggot on a size 20? Yep, I caught a 5lb carp....not just once, but time and time again. The first time I went there as a guest, I caught thirteen different species in a day...the last time I had nothing but carp...it's a lovely lake, but with the changes that are currently taking place, including removing lilies and clearing vegetation, it's becoming more and more a carp lake.

I'm all in favour of the new pathway, giving access to more and more disabled members, but I also like the overgrown margins...I like the lilies...I do not want to sit by a perfectly manicured lake catching one more dozy carp after another...

I've resigned my place on the committee and also my membership. This isn't the place I want to be any more...

From now on I'll be sticking to fishing on my local river and on the canal when I'm boating. Early mornings with the mist rising off the water and a bit of bread flake...I'll almost guarantee I have a decent roach. Early evening as the sun is going down with a bit of lobworm on a size 12/14? I'll lay odds I'll get a nibble from a perch...

I've had a fabulous few years here and have nothing but praise for everyone who's helped and guided me, but it isn't where I want to be any more.

Janet

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how you feel Janet and the direction the club has gone strikes me as very sad as well.

Hopefully you don't intend to give up Anglers' Net since that would be even more sad for lots of us.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I understand how you feel Janet and the direction the club has gone strikes me as very sad as well.

Hopefully you don't intend to give up Anglers' Net since that would be even more sad for lots of us.

Give up AN? I don't think so! After all, who would listen to my rants if I didn't post on here?

Janet

It's going to happen to a lot of us who value the real spirit of fishing. There Are very few places I want to fish now, and they're getting fewer every year. Sad but inevitable.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Give up AN? I don't think so! After all, who would listen to my rants if I didn't post on here?

Janet

Janet sorry to hear about your club lake i know you had some great times there ,Hey hoh that is progress or not by the sound of things .

When is your next NB holiday??and where?? you still photograppppping everthing in sight?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Janet,

It pains me greatly that the noble carp is being blamed. It is the same on this side of the pond. Because carp are "survivors" of the first degree (perhaps along with the cockroach) and can live in the most awful of conditions folks blame the fish. Lots of "predator" anglers in the US BLAME carp for whatever goes wrong. Carp actually live in great harmony with nature in balance. Carp are often the messenger of a far greater problem.

I'm sorry you blame my carp.

Phone

I'm not blaming the carp...I'm blaming the anglers who can't seem to see beyond the end of their rod/pole and realise that a mixed fishery is far more attractive to many anglers, myself included. If I'd wanted to fish a carp water, I would have joined one...there's one local to me where you're pretty much guaranteed a double figure carp per cast...

That sort of place simply doesn't appeal to me...

Janet

I lost all enthusiasm for fishing a couple of months ago. I couldn't be bothered to go, never sorted my tackle out, didn't read fishing magazines or go on AN.

Then my mate asked me to go pike fishing with him and his dad, i'd never been before because I'd had nobody to go with, so I went along. Despite only catching one jack pike of about 2lb I really enjoyed it and it's rekindled my interest.

If you've been doing similar fishing things then try something different. Catch a fish you haven't caught before. Beat a PB. Try some new waters. Go with people, or different people to whom you normally go with. Catch something you wouldn't normally target, zander, eels, dace, gudgeon or grayling?

Hope it comes back to you

Dave

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."