Livebaiting for pike

Guest Pinkeye

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by TheDacer:

Likewise I think they are the same - albeit in a different sense to how humans feel pain and fear - but, like you, I do not actually know

Guys,

Up in your head you have a brain.

OK, there's still a helluva lot to learn about how it works, but do a bit of research and you'll be amazed at just how much is known now about it's workings, and how important the structure is to it's workings.

Take a bit of time to learn how your own brain works. Which parts are involved in generating emotions, recognizing and reacting to pain, storing memories, learning.

Then learn a bit about the brain of fish.

Then you won't have to waste time debating what you 'think' is going on.

Perhaps talking absolute crap, through unnecesary ignorance.

As I said, 'Up in your head you have a brain' - try using it!! smile.gif

Tight Lines - leon

Guest pikehunter

I made no mention of fear in my post i was refering to you as a human being do you honestly think it's ok to throw a live fish to another one for the sole purpose of catching a fish for shear pleasure??

Not to mention, that roach has fought all the odds to make it as far has it has only to lose out with no chance at all..

Forget the silly statement of "the right to choose" that just won't cut it IF and when public opinion may really count.

If angling is not prepeared to make any consessions you may well lose the lot.

And as for the worms and maggots next do you really think the public will try to put pests and grubs in the same light as cute likle fishys that they have all got in tanks/ponds.

Anyway who really thinks catching fish with a tied live bait is sporting???? it must just about be the most lazy way of fishing there is, just lob it out let the live do the hard work of attraction then you just real in your catch. Why not sling your rods and get a hand line or better still electrofish.

It may have had it's place when people caught fish to eat yonks ago but not no more. It's supposed to be sporting now.

I may sound like i'm talking twaddle but joe public will probably say pretty much the same and it won't matter one bit what you or i think.

No offence intended but we must face up to it, it's not like it's the only method is it???????????

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by pikehunter:

Anyway who really thinks catching fish with a tied live bait is sporting???? it must just about be the most lazy way of fishing there is, just lob it out let the live do the hard work of attraction then you just real in your catch. Why not sling your rods and get a hand line or better still electrofish.

I'm with you on this one pike-fisher!!

No offence intended but we must face up to it, it's not like it's the only method is it???????????

No, in fact I can't see any reason for allowing any baits other than bread and spinners (with single hooks) to be used by anglers.

I reckon that I could sort out most species with those, and I'd not regret the banning of all other baits (well for freshwater fishing anyway).

Tight Lines - leon

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear Leon...

The challenge is a 4lb eel on either in the next two years....I shall be waiting.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

PS...This just got silly again...but maybe it is for the best.

Guest TheDacer

Trent, Angling Unity is two words wink.gif

Leon, I got into IT via AI - did as far as postgrad. in Cognitive Science - if I didn't learn about the brain then, I surely never will!

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by 'eelfisher':

Dear Leon...

The challenge is a 4lb eel on either in the next two years....I shall be waiting.

Yours With Respect.....

Sorry Steve,

Eels were one of the species that made me qualify my statement 'most species'.

As Pikehunter says 'If angling is not prepeared to make any consessions you may well lose the lot.'

As a pikehunter myself, I'll have no trouble dropping livebaits from my armoury, I rarely ever use them.

But I do understand that the implications for eelfishers might be more dire.

However, to paraphrase Pikehunter

'No offence intended but we must face up to it, it's not like it's the only species is it???????????'

After all there are not that many eelfishers around, and most anglers would be thankful that they are restricted to a bait which doesn't attract those slimy creatures.

Er, suggest you give tench a try Steve!

Livebaiting pike anglers, and eel fishers, aren't worth risking angling for, are they?

I'll be alright! smile.gif

(I'm sure that some people will miss minnowing for specimen perch and chub, perhaps barbel - but they will get by!)

Er, while we are at it, I'd prefer that you don't use dead sea baits as a poor substitute.

The sea stocks are depleted enough as it is, and it must be immoral to be putting money into the hands of the industry that's destroying the sport of sea anglers.

And I know that sea anglers tend to not appreciate coarse anglers regarding fresh water species as 'oh so precious', but are happy to pinch 'their' fish as bait, chucking most of them into the lake, unused at the end of a session.

I think that (until we are restricted to bread and spinners) I'll crush a lot of carp together in a net for an hour or so (to condition them), then tip them out to die gasping, before salting them and freezing them for my winter whiting and pike bait.

I'll reckon they will make a great substitute to trawler caught mackerel, which usually meet the same kind of fate, yet without the moral dilemma of contributing financially to the rape of the seas or using live, locally caught, roach as bait. (Though I do understand the squeemishness of those who prefer their pre-suffered fish to come out of the angling shop freezer, neatly packaged in hygenic plastic vacuum pack). To my (perhaps strange) mind, there isn't much difference between the possible 'suffering' of carp and mackerel.

Originally posted by 'eelfisher':

PS...This just got silly again...but maybe it is for the best.

wink.gif

Tight Lines - leon

[This message has been edited by Leon Roskilly (edited 20 September 2001).]

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by TheDacer:

Trent, Angling Unity is two words   wink.gif

Leon, I got into IT via AI - did as far as postgrad. in Cognitive Science - if I didn't learn about the brain then, I surely never will!

Great! smile.gif

Then you'll be able to explain (in simple terms) where sensations of pain are processed in mammalian brains, and which structures are involved in simple emotions (such as fear and dread), and the evidence for this.

Then do the same for fish brains.

Tight Lines - leon

(ps I got into IT though freight forwarding!)

Guest tony jolley

WELL WELL.

Now I know I am a exspendable angler with exspendable rights and exspendable opinions,

Another EEL ANGLER with a bad attitude it seems,

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Bruno Broughton

The Telecom man called today, and he confirmed that my phone and email lines are working perfectly. I was relieved.

This morning I went to the opticians, and - even though I now wear half-glasses (me ma said it would make me blind)- I have 20:20 vision, brilliant for a four-eyed get. I am overjoyed.

Strange, then, that following my invitation earlier in this thread, I have received NO emails, nor have I read ANY posts, giving evidence on (i) why fish feel pain, (ii) where, when and how non-native fish species have been spread by livebaiters, nor (iii)how livebaiters have spread fish diseases.

I did see 27 magpies this evening, however. Now what is that proverb? Oh yes: one for sorrow, two for joy, three for... Unless my numeric skills are on the blink, I seem to recall that twennty-seven is for hypocracy.

This is just my opinion, naturally. rolleyes.gif

------------------

Bruno