Livebaiting for pike

Guest Pinkeye

Guest Nobrott

Here we go again,

Peter hits the nail right on the head in his postings - it isn't fellow anglers who need convincing of the wider recreational, social and environmental benefits of angling - but neutrals - people who don't know angling.

And to most neutrals (The PETA nutcases excepted), fishing with live maggots or worms isn't a problem.

Fishing with live fish, however, might be - especially if the neutral concerned keeps goldfish, tropical fish or ornamentals in a pond.

While we are all very keen to promote fish welfare, the use of live fish baits could compromise us in the view of neutrals.

Just to drive the point home, the RSPB lost a lot of support over its backing of the ruddy duck cull because its key stated objective is to protect ALL birds. How can one particular bird be treated any differently from any other bird?

Had angling been better organised at the time, it would have been able to use this astounding error of judgement to gain ground in the cormorant debate.

Now, even in the face of evidence that magpies and some birds of prey are impacting on songbird populations, the RSPB will not sanction any moves to control the predators.

I don't want to trot out the same tired old debates about livebaiting, but surely we can learn from the RSPB's mistakes.

Mark

Guest TheDacer

I'd rather see livebait ended.

I know some of you will blow up at this - and why not? I'm sort of attacking your method. So you're entitled to feel defensive.

When I go Predator fishing I either deadbait - use Smelt from the fishmongers - or go spinning, and I think I get enough fish to not need to turn to livebait.

Maybe there are waters where the livebait approach alone would work? I really don't know. But I do know that it's an issue - like the use of Gaffs used to - which divides angling and always will do.

I don't think you can expect unity on this.

But whilst it is legal - make the most of it!

Guest Pinkeye

Great Dacer!!!

When live baiting is banned in Scotland then England and the anti angling establishment start to nibble away at angling's next "controversial" elements what will your opinion be then.

What will be next?? Probably keepnets, well we can all live without those can't we!! Good.

Next - well, aren't treble hooks a bit excessive - let's ban those.

Next - Hooks with barbs are cruel to fish - barbless only.

Next - It is probably cruel to impale maggots on a hook so let's stop the use of those as bait. Will you as a dace angler then ask for the help of anglers who only use bread or (dare I say it) boilies to protect the type of fishing you prefer?? Ofcourse you will.

Angling is under enough pressure from ANTIS so whether you agree or disagree with livebaiting it is vital that we stick together and guard against any attack on our rights to fish in the way we see fit.

(For the record I have not livebaited for over ten years - if I thought my catch rate would improve by doing so I would have no hesitation in doing so. I simply don't have time to catch lives nor do I have the equipment necessary to keep them alive during transportation).

Originally posted by TheDacer:

I'd rather see livebait ended.

I know some of you will blow up at this - and why not?  I'm sort of attacking your method.  So you're entitled to feel defensive.  

When I go Predator fishing I either deadbait - use Smelt from the fishmongers - or go spinning, and I think I get enough fish to not need to turn to livebait.

Dacer - what I read (from the quote above) is that you would like to see live baiting ended because you personally don't do it and don't like anyone else doing it.

Your preference is yours. No question.

I am curious though why you don't want others to do it.

Guest Bent Rod ?

Pinkeye

Too right I fear that a lot of people will not play the unity card until suits THEM and by then too much will have been lost.

Jon

------------------

Ivor Benten

Bent Rod = Tight Lines

Guest Alan Pearce

A good positive thread this, and yes it is important that we support PAC in their work by building a good water tight case for live baiting. History alone will not offer that much protection when we get down to the nitty gritty, so more input on the subject would be both usefull and welcome.

Dacer, whilst I accept your thoughts on this and the freedom to express an opinion, I do however think you should support your fellow anglers who live bait. As a live baiter myself, not just for pike but perch, catfish eels and chub my findings of more than 30 years angling are that on many occaisions, times and situations, a natural live bait is the only real option for success.

Please also remember that live baiting in the longer term will also apply to the use of worms, maggots, casters, blood worm and slugs.

Anglers must unite to support each others disciplines and styles of fishing. Please do not confuse the issue by bringing into the subject things like gaffs and knotted keepnets, these have been outlawed in the name of progress and conservation.

Alan.

Guest TheDacer

No hard feelings, and yes this is a positive thread - good.

I do support anglers right to livebait whilst it is legal to do so.

I do not use the method myself, I deadbait or use the spinner. And I don't think I'm giving ammunition to anyone by saying this.

PETA and their ilk will attack angling come what may. (Reason is not their forte!)

I do think, however, that it would be a contradiction for me to carefully unhook a 5oz Roach one day and then to livebait it the next.

If I'm not eating a fish, I - like the rest of you - take good care to release it preferably in better health than when I caught it. (Using Klinik, for example).

In my mind, Livebaing contradicts this.

But as I said, fish on whilst you can - who knows what will be banned and when and where.

Guest trent.barbeler

Firstly

Alan,

If you are ever faced by those in power opposed to live baiting who give reference to gaffs and knotted keepnets as an example, never, ever, defend live baiting by saying to them that they were banned in the interests of "progress and conservation". If you do, you will get slaughtered.

The reality of this issue is this;

Whether you are "for" or "against" the use of live baits is totally irrelevant.

Why? Because if we all allow live baiting to become outlawed, each and every one of us would end up bowing and scraping to every minority group or crackpot scheme that came along in the years ahead.

Look at the society we all live in today and how much things have changed over the years. Plainly, which ever way it is looked at, the minority lunatics are taking over the asylum. Do any of us really think it will be any different in the world of angling if the minority anti angling groups get their way?

I tell you all now, if live baiting goes under the cosh all of us can expect a visit no matter what our individual angling preferences may be.

I am fully aware that there are those within angling who believe that getting rid of live baiting would be the panacea of all angling's troubles. Not so my friends.

It would merely be the start of angling's troubles.

I am a barbel angler. I did, but do not now go live baiting. Nothing to do with conscience, I just want to catch barbel and live baiting is not the best method.

But; When predator anglers legal methods are under threat, I will race to their side in support because I know whats in store for me if I dont.

Anyway, are we not family? Yes I know, just like any family we have our ups and our downs but family we remain. Anglers are anglers. Plain and simple. Are we then to allow a few of our number to be attacked and do nothing about it? I like to think that at the end of the day, we are made of better stuff than that.

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by trent.barbeler:

Firstly

Alan,

If you are ever faced by those in power opposed to live baiting who give reference to gaffs and knotted keepnets as an example, never, ever, defend live baiting by saying to them that they were banned in the interests of "progress and conservation".  If you do, you will get slaughtered.

The above is exactly right. We must have better answers than we are getting in order to defend our rights, even though, as Dacer, some of use choose not to excercise a particular right.

Guest tony jolley

Live baiting is looked upon as a "minority part" of angling.

But remmember once that minority as gone there IS another minority to take its place,

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley