Profiles

Guest Steve Burke

aka Richard age 42.

Born and bred in Leyton East London, started fishing on the Lea and went 14 friutless trips until a suicidal Perch took my single maggot, also used to walk to Whipps cross to fish the Hollow Ponds.

After 39 years upsticks and moved to St Ives in Cambs on the Great Ouse and surrounded by Gravel Pits, a bit strange being amongst water that I could only dream about visiting when looking in my Dad`s LAA handbook. which brings me to the perils of Weils disease which I lost my Dad to in 1989, please take care as this is a particularly awful way to go, cover up those scratches with a plaster and do not rinse your hands in the margins then eat your sarnies, take some medicated wet wipes.

My only other vice (I think ) is a strange addiction to watching Leyton Orient hence my user name, married to Debbie with a daughter Hazel age 10, lucky little sod, her third ever fish was a 2lb Perch from the river. about 13/4lb bigger than my first Perch

Still fishing as keen as ever, only problem deciding where to go next, I never had this trouble as a kid in London.

Cheers

lofc

Guest Julian @ fishooked

Right then Steve, you wanted a profile, you got one wink.gif

Julian Grattidge, born August 1972, started fishing about 2 weeks after with my (late) dad!!

He taught me how to cast a rod before I could walk (kind of) and through my early years he patiently helped me improve my technique, whilst teaching me the value of watercraft. Through my teenage years, after winning a few matches and seeing bigger and better fish being caught and published in magazines, I slowly moved onto specimen fishing, finding waters that gave me a chance of improving a personal best.

By the time I was twenty fishing was no longer a hobby; it was pure obsession.

As my management career progressed with various companies I spent more and more time on the road. Many people hate the traveling involved with management/sales/marketing related positions, however I would always flick through fishing magazines before traveling big distances to find out if there were any potential ‘big fish’ waters in the vicinity, then fake a plausible reason to the MD as to why I had to do a stop over biggrin.gif

Now fishing has simply become a way of life, Carp are my main passion. However, I can regularly be found trying to tempt Tench, Bream, Perch and Pike, and anything else that can be caught on rod and line!

As my obsession grows, so do the fishing trips! and I regularly fish waters all over the country, along with forays abroad; France and Holland whenever funds/work/girlfriend allow.

Species Current pb’s

Mirror Carp 32lb 14oz

Common Carp 26lb 0oz

Leather Carp 24lb 4oz

Ghost/Koi Carp 14lb 0oz

Crucian Carp 2lb 12oz

Tench 9lb 15oz

Bream 8lb 14oz

Chubb 3lb 2oz

Barbel 7lb 0oz

Roach 2lb 02oz

Perch 3lb 10oz

Zander 12lb 2oz

Pike 22lb 9oz

Wels (Catfish) 15lb 0oz

Eel 3lb 7oz

Having built up a fair collection of books, magazines and general fishing literature over the years I have always been keen to learn from the writings of others. Somehow it never occurred to me to start writing myself, as I was always too busy fishing to contemplate doing the writing. However, after constant encouragement from my mother who is herself a freelance writer for Horse & Hound, I started to write. I began to keep journals, writing rough note diaries during the trips and then writing up in full back at home.

At around the same time I was doing some freelance business consultancy work for a photographer, and, through my work with him began to improve upon my laymen’s understandings of what made, and how to take a good photo. Under his tutelage my photography skills improved dramatically, and before long my photos began to tell their own story, capturing the essential moments of a trip on film, the expectant moods at the time, the magnificence of a memorable catch, or simply catching the character of a water.

After reading my material and looking at the photos, my mother persuaded me to write a proper article for submission to a magazine. My other interest aside from fishing is rally sport, and as I was just about to embark on a week’s holiday in Scotland to watch a three-day car rally. I thought it would make a good first article. As such, I wrote the article for submission to the ‘Subaru Impreza Drivers Club’ magazine whilst also taking all the photos to accompany the piece.

To my amazement the article was published in full (6 pages) and not only that, one of my photos was used for the all-important front cover shot smile.gif I was well chuffed that my first article was published with my photos, and this spurred me on. I’ve had other stuff on motor-sport published since, and now I hope to start writing about my main passion …FISHING!

The above work/stuff recently helped me to land ( no pun intended) my ‘dream-job’ at Fishooked, appointed as project manager. This involves collecting information on UK and Irish fisheries to add to our ‘where to fish’ guide/database, along with running the web site etc, and of course spending a few hours a day on AN biggrin.gif The job is great and proving to be a tough challenge.

As mentioned, I’m also well into motors and rally-sport, I used to rally RS Mexico's and stuff. It all got to expensive so I gave it up many years back, although my passion for rally-bread road cars continues. I’ve had RS’s and Cosworth’s and more recently a ‘Scooby’ ( Subaru impreza). I’ve given them all up now (cant afford to run’em) and have a beat-up old Passat Estate which serves as an excellent ‘carp-pursuit-vehicle’. Still go to loads of rally’s following my brother who carried on doing it.

I live in an old market town called Leek (Staffordshire Moorlands) with my lovely and very understanding girlfriend Lisa whom I’ve been with for about 5 years.

Well, I think that covers it (cough), is anyone still awake?

Oh yes, and I nearly forgot, at weekends I like to be called Tracy and wear woman’s undies’ eek.gif

Howzat? rolleyes.gif

Julian.

------------------

When the sun goes down, the bite alarms will sound!

http://www.fishooked.com

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Alan Fawcett

born april 1972

married (2nd time)

3 lads with the ex, 1 & a half with present wife Dian

Trained mechanic, NVQ'S in Valeting

hobby is parasychology

3 most important things in life are 1)Family 2)friends 3)fishing

I come from a family of anglers Grandad, Grandma, Father & mother (+ younger brother)

I will fish anywhere & for any species so long as its got gills, a tail & it lives in water.

Earliest fishing memory i was 5yrs old fished an old farm pool in Bridgewater somerset with my dad & caught a crusian carp although my mum say's i was fishing before that.

Dad died in 1981, I joined the travelling fun fairs shortly after & spent the best part of 14 yrs on them, in between my times on the fairs i did my mechanics course, valeting course & worked at Staffords largest second hand shop before becoming manager of it, last job was working in a chemical plant mixing all sorts of wonderful stuff together smile.gif.

Fishing kinda stopped for 8 yrs due to the ex wife destroying anything to do with fishing including books & tackle (most of which my dad left me when he died) frown.gif

Started from scratch after divorcing her then married Dian (ex-wifes ex-best friend) smile.gif

Now i've got the best marrige in the world i can go fishing when i want & the wife loves fishing as much as i do. smile.gif

Fell ill in 1998/99 recovered & realised that life was to short to waste on the every day crap it throws at you so now i do it my way & if someone doesn't like it tough luck.

I'm willing to help anyone who needs or asks for it but if they sh*t on me they never get another chance.

Looked after my grandad till he died of cancer last year which left me devastated but with Dians help & the discovery of AN i'm back to my old self again which is messing about, taking the P*ss, refusing to grow up/grow old & trying to make people laugh as much as i can (which ain't hard with you lot smile.gif)

Through AN I've also discovered that it doesn't matter whether you're rich or poor people still look at you all the same,people are willing to help those less fourtunate, that there are people out there who think the same as i do & that anythings possible even to the point of making your dreams come true.

well i reckon that should bore you enough for now tongue.gif

oh yeah i nearly forgot i'm also an insomniac! eyes.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

my sites here

[This message has been edited by ALAN FAWCETT (edited 11 July 2001).]

• 4 months later...
Guest Geoff Palmer

Hatched in Hastings East Sussex 54 years ago.

Discovered fishing with friends poaching for trout and perch in Darwell Resevoir, East Sussex.

Really started in earnest after leaving the Army in 1974. Had some time off when I moved to Northern Scotland in 1984 but since I fell out with another wife and moved to Swansea I manage to fish every Sunday.

I don't fish for any particular species,and I don't claim to be any good at it. I'm just happy to be catching.

After a variety of jobs I am now a quality administrator for a firm which makes plastic bags for the meat and cheese industry.

Boring old **** I am .

------------------

Geoff

Size doesn't matter its just catching.

aka Gavin Owen im 17 (18 in January smile.gif), I live in South wales with my mam, dad, and brother. Been fishing on and off since i was four. Have one a couple of junior matches. erm i was Porthcawl Junior champion a couple of years ago.

At the moment im Studying A2 Information Communication Technology as well as Business Studdies, Next year im hoping to go to Uni to Music Technology.

I am a very keen Liverpool Supporter and try to get to anfield when ever i can. I also enjoy collecting and watching Videos and Dvds. I am a very big fan of the gordie comedy Auf Wiedershen Pet, and next year i am hoping to go to Germany to see some of the locations where the comedy drama was filmed, (a lot of u may think im sad)

Don't know what else to say

erm

Tight Lines smile.gif

Dooby

Guest peter mccue

Peter McCue,

Born the same year Angling Times was launched, go on work it out for yourselves it only makes me cry when I do it!!

I live in Cleveland in the N.East, which has the best fishing in the country, well perhaps that's a slight exagerration, but it's improving all the time & one day we hope to be average.

I honestly can't remember a time when I was'nt fishing. I'll quite literally fish for Carp one day & tiny wild brownies the next & enjoy both immensely!

I have a garden pond full of Carp, goldfish, Orfe e.t.c. & a house with two aquariums full of tropical fish, Coupled with drawers stuffed with fishing related photo's (I also love my camera)you could say I'm a fish nut.

The best thing is, that having read other profiles, it's clear there's lots of us nutters out there.

One black spot is I'm becoming keen on the computer, but help & instructions might just as well be written in Japanese to me!! could anybody guide me to any instructional books written in English suitable for 8 yr olds.

Hi all,

Born February 64, Ormskirk in Lancs. Name Paul Harrison.

My first fishing trips were with a garden cane and piece of string on the river Nith in Scotland were I used to watch the salmon run until I was about 9, never caught one though, strange.

I started more seriously on the Leeds and Liverpool canal with proper tackle till moving to Kidlington were I fished the Cherwell for Chub, if only I knew about Barbel fishing in those days, I saw them often enough lurking but never bothered with them.

This was the early eighties and when not fishing for chub used to Tench fish most pits around the Oxford area, cycling miles and miles with a rod strapped to my bike and a large tackle box on the pannier to do a night session at least once a week anywhere I could possible catch.

Then moved to Stoke on Trent were I was introduced to carp fishing and became addicted to that, since then I have moved to the South Coast in Sussex and became interested in boats and sea fishing although I will fish for anything anywhere I do mostly course fish.

I basically enjoy fishing in all its forms, its just being there. I make sure I go at least once a week every week and firmly believe the best time to have time of is when you can’t afford to.

The last 20 years of my working life have been mostly in the computer industry, most areas everything from help desk to Sales Managers. I now have my own business doing computer maintenance for schools and small businesses, which I enjoy even though I knock it. It gives me the freedom to pick and choose when I work within reason, (Thank god for mobile phones, they don’t know you are fishing, so easy to say I shall be there first thing in the morning as I won’t be finished here till…..)

That’s me who’s next.

Originally posted by peter mccue:

One black spot is I'm becoming keen on the computer, but help & instructions might just as well be written in Japanese to me!! could anybody guide me to any instructional books written in English suitable for 8 yr olds.

Peter - most any of the computer books that have a title of xxxx for Dummies will be good. They are excellent and written in English. They will assume you know nothing and take it from there. Take a look Here for a listing of technology-related titles. I especially recommend one for your operating system (Win95/98/ME etc) and one for your internet browser.

Hello all

Adam shannon, born 1979,dublin ,ireland.

just left college, started fishing when i was 5 catching perch from a local canal with my dad on a bamboo rod and perch bobber . live within sight of the royal canal in kildare, the canal is my second home.

i am pollution officer with the local club, and hope to do a phd in marine biology.

i love tench and perch,pike,roach,trout etc..

,all rounder i guess. i work with the dublin angling initiative,bringing inner city kids fishing and trying to get them interested in it and the environment.

no such a thing as a nuisance fish,methinks (although eels when im tench fishing push me close,but i love em really)

------------------

Adam Shannon

http://communities.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79