Trebles for carp

Guest Richard Capper

Guest Richard Capper

Trebles are excellent for minnows though spindle!

Its a question of whats more important fish on the bank or fish wellfair.

p.s. by double hook rigs I mean two trebles on a snap tackle.

Guest Pinkeye

Unbelievable!

Well Richard, you say in your profile that your hobbies are "fishing??" and very little (nothing) else.

The only bit I agree with there is the question mark bit.

How can you compare fishing techniques used for predators with those used for carp fishing? Treble hooks are used for a reason in predator fishing, the pike has a very boney mouth with very few areas where a hook can penetrate, a treble (or double) allows for better bait presentation and better chance of landing a hooked fish. Carp fishing, on the whole, employs a technique where the bait isn't necessarily attached directly onto the hook (hair rig of some sort) so the single hook used invariabley follows the bait into the fishes mouth and due to the nature of the carps fleshy mouth will almost always take a firm grip.

Richard, if you are trying to defend your chosen fishing methods by ridiculing or casting doubts over other methods you are barking up the wrong tree here! Most of the contributers at Anglers net are in unity for the protection of all forms of legal angling. We have enough enimies in the anti lobby without people like you trying to create splits from within.

I am a pike angler, a responsible pike angler, I use semi barbless trebles of a sensible size, I strike early and use strong tackle to ensure my captures are returned to their watery home in as good condition as they were before they met me.

To all the "treble hooks for pike" folks on here - ever tried a good quality circle hook instead? A Gamakatsu Octopus in an appropriate size should do nicely. Then the fish will do nicely even if it breaks off having only the single hook to worry with. Easier unhooking too, even for you pros.

To any "I don't use trebles for pike" anglers on here - do you exist?

These days I even cut one hook off any treble set on lures.

Guest The Tangler

With more and more soft baits, spinner baits etc making there way over here from the USA etc more pike anglers are starting to use single hooks.

Spinner baits come complete with a large single hook and the soft baits are generaly used with a single long shank hook.

Some are even using a large single hook for dead baiting, mostly when wobbling a dead bait but still using them as they give a better action.

If using a large static dead bait then the need for a double treble hook rig is there as a single hook will more oftern then not, not find a hold on the pikes mouth.

------------------

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east.

http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler

Hmmm interesting post this.

I've often wondered if any pike angler has ever had the second flailing treble, hook a pike on the outside of its head. I have noticed one or two blind pike when I used to fish for them in the past.

Also when I used to fish for them I used to use one double or one single with large dead baits on the hair. Admittedly some runs were missed but I've also missed them on two trebles. Does anyone still use the hair for pike?

Noc.

Guest M Godliman

My first instinct was not to dignify the post with a comment at all.The whole debait was bogus from the start,to pose a question then lure answers from well meaning respondents just so that Richard could tell us all what high moral standards he has.

Martin.

I have grave doubts about R Capper saying he has given up pike fishing till the treble hook question is resolved. Is he an angler, is he up to speed on tackle available. As stated there are other methods available using either single or a double hook (not two sets of hooks ie snap tackle) that will enable him to over come his problem.

I suggest if he is a REAL angler then he invest some money in good books or buy a good magazine every month.

Ah Martin - it started bogus but has turned somewhat useful.

I've no idea why Richard Capper didn't start out asking what he really wanted to know about or expressing an opinion but he chose to do a wind-up instead. If he makes a habit of this, he may be ignored but everyone should be allowed at least one somewhat misguided post.

right then.aghaaaa treble hooks for carp,nooo.to all lure anglers(of which i am one)you all use trebles for chub,don't you,i do.whats the difference between carp and chub?what beats me is that a carp angler can lie asleep in his thingy,wake up to his alarm,realise he is fishing,get up,run to his rod etc,etc,then pull his fish in,out of the roots,lip torn to shreads etc.oh dear,i could go on and on!!!sorry.

Originally posted by john:

to all lure anglers(of which i am one)you all use trebles for chub,don't you,i do.

John - I don't imagine that even nearly half of all lure anglers use trebles for chub, or singles, or even fish for the things.

It's mostly a UK/Euro fish and no way do anywhere near half the lure anglers in the world live there. 5% maybe, if that many.