Kayak Demo Day

richi

I think this raises an issue which I have been brooding over for a while.

The issue of Transparency.

I used to be quite active when this forum was in it's early stages but decided to take a much quieter profile as it got more popular.

Please forgive me if I ask a question that might have been dealt with at length previously but I admit to just "dropping in" to the forum now and again.

The question is- Do we know how many of the regular contributors on this Forum have received payment or goods for promotion of one or more companies?

For example:Most of us know that Simon E is involved with a certain South African manufacturer BUT he has made this very clear or transparent .What worries me is the "My review of....." and the person involved has received goods as an incentive but that is not obviously known to other viewers of the forum.

I see now that some regular posters sign at the bottom of the post that they are part of a team, which is commendable and hopefully transparent..if the reader scrolls through and digests the small print after the post.

So ... Who on this forum has received anything more or equal to a paddle from a kayak or kayak accessory retailer?

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ... Who on this forum has received anything more or equal to a paddle from a kayak or kayak accessory retailer?

Yes I have received cash for advertising a kayak retail outlet and many other things on my site. However I don't think I have ever pushed them on this particular board, nor would want to. Anything I see as "Advertising" for business goes into the forum area for that, as provided by Elton :

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/UK-Sea-...motion-f23.html

The easy answer to your question is what's the f ......has it got to do with you,

if someone gets a freebie out of a company that's up to them, and if that same person writes a review so be it.

Most if not all reviews are carried out by Jo public so in the end of the day it is only their view and I for one would not simply buy because someone said it was good.

Ps I received side handles from OK when one broke and saved me £10-15 (thank you Andrew)

but in no way am I in there pockets and if I were I refer yo to the first statement above.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

"The easy answer to your question is what's the f ......has it got to do with you"

That's not really what I would class as a considered or intelligent response.

I want to know if someone puts up a post and enthuses about a product have they received anything from the supplier.

If they have been told to keep e.g the kayak then how can that be an independant review?

and if it's not an independant review then we should be told as much.

Receiving replacement handles is good after sales service and not what I was referring to.

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

On my P13 , I broke the plastic retainer on the bungee, that holds the tackle box in place, can I have a new one please, I'd just like to say i think the P13 is the bestest thing in the world, and I've told me mate that as well, so can I have a strap please

That's not really what I would class as a considered or intelligent response.

what part of the f...... didn't you understand :D

I know what your getting at

A few years ago I use to make trolley for the carp fishing to carry there gear down to the lakes, I sold loads, but I wanted to get them into the shops so one was sent to Carp World and another to Angling Mail, both gave poor reviews, yet they were retained and not sent back.

Two years later I was at a lake and I happen to see one of my trolleys and asked were he got it from, he went on to say that he had done a review on the said trolley and kept it as a freebie

he went on to say "it's OK but I wouldn't pay for it"

So the moral of this story "don't go by reviews"

Ps if codshead would send me his address I will send you a length of elastic out me underpants, but your not getting a new kayak :lol:

Edited by YakDiver

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Ah Andrew , the power of the internet and my inability to link brain to index finger

Its a shame that the forums are becoming saturated with OK products

What I meant to say is its a shame that other companys dont market their products as pro actively as OK , not that there is anything wrong with OK's marketing tactics :huh: A bit of balance would be nice but lifes not like that.

Ok Prowler 13

Isnt that what business is all about ?

Whats to stop the others following the OK lead and gate crashing the party ? Setting up a site similar to JO would be a starting point and offering info on their yaks via press releases as OK do. It wouldnt take much effort to have an internet presence as good if not better than JO.

If I was selling yaks I would make sure everyone knew about it. Where is the information for these other yak manafacturers ? its non existant. I can only assume they arent that bothered that OK run the show.

Have a look at the number of views to each post, and the number of replies, yup, hardly any replies. I wonder why people are keeping out of this forum! Hardly any posts about kayak fishing, some about equipment, all from the same small group, lots of arguing, same small group, and I'm off. I've found much better forums than this.

When I mention my nice Bic kayaks, I just get abuse, friendly or not. You all deserve each other, and you can have each other, I'm off, and I'm going fishing, and keeping it to myself.

Don't really see the need any more to engage in this sort of drivel, best of luck chaps.