Where did you start

Guest Mike_pk_Waters

Guest tony jolley

WELL!!

I feel abit excluded now!

Go_fishin, Looks like well have to be the only 2 members of the L+L starters club!!

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest poledark

To all members of the Keston OBC, what say to the proposal that we allow one Tony Jolley to become an asociate member?

All in favor say Ay

Ay

------------------

poledark ANMC

Guest danzante

Tony,

some weeks after Newsham Park..when i bought my first rod.. my second port of call was the L+L at Aintree,

the tench fishing was unbelievable for me..my first was about four pounds and i thought the devil was trying to drag me under to Hades...

it was pure shock on 2lb line straight through with size 18's and plenty of weed..

that first time on the canal was a day i will never forget..a net full of beautiful tench smile.gif.

Danny.

------------------

Guest james barbeltench

i startedon a little (tiny about 1foot wide in some places othrs up to 3foot) back water of the trent me and my grandad went it was clear and full of dace and small roach i caught 10 fish all about an oz but i really enjoyed it when i was 9 years old now im 14 and after big carp tench and barbel on big lakes ponds and rivers! i have been back btu no where near as good as it once was i caught 3 perch and thats it!

Guest Rob Ward

I started on the Leeds Liverpool Canal when it was famous for Tench. Took me years to catch my first one.

Paul - Halsnead Park is my home water! Best Carp lake in the area IMHO!

Guest StuMac

I had the good luck to live in Holland when I was a boy (late sixties - early 70s), so started fishing in the canals and ponds around The Hague.

I fished various spots at first, but then discovered what turned out to be my favorite fishing spot ever, a small drain (sluit) which also functioned as a decorative pond in the residential suberb to the south of the of the Hague. I had my first pike out of there, and once caught two perch over 2.5 lb in a week. In summer it got really weedy with loads of lily pads, and I used to catch loads of small roach / rudd. There were also quite a few big carp / tench that I never managed to get hold of. All this about 30 seconds walk from my front door - can't believe how lucky I was when I think back.

Fished it again last year. I was a bit worried that this may spoil the memories I have of the place but, if anything, its got better. When I was a boy the banks were supported by brickwork, and so it looked a bit harsh. The Dutch now have a policy of removing these and allowing reeds to grow in order to encourage fish and other wildlife (what an enlightened country!!).

Unfortunately I blanked, but I saw a Dutch boy of about 12 get a really nice pike of about 7 lbs. It turned out to be his first ever pike, and it was almost like seeing myself 30 years ago!

Stuart

I started on the Lea Navigation at Lea Bridge Road on the Leyton/Hackney border, near the Prince of Wales pub latterly known as the Princess of Wales that incidentally serves a great pint of Youngs bitter. (or did)

This stretch then suffered a pollution in I think about 1972/3, I then started getting a bus to Tottenham Locks to fish the relief channel, we also as kids went to the Hollow Ponds at Whipps Cross, all these places seemed great at the time, perhaps they were and still are, as I have`nt fished them for almost Thirty Years.

Cheers

lofc

Guest Spiderfan

Local farm ponds and the 'river' Fender on the Wirral. Most of the ponds have been drained, filled in and built on; the Fender is now a concrete culvert running alongside the M53.

Some of the ponds were particularly productive. Bronze crucians, pristine perch and gorgeous tench with a good supply of roach and rudd that you could catch all day.

Great times when running out of bait usually dictated what time you went home. smile.gif

Guest Andy Thatcher

Feeder stream of the Lea about 10 minutes drive from Hertford. About 10 minutes walk from where I lived. Still remember looking over this bridge and seeing an amazing shoal of roach. Got one after 3 years of trying during visits back from Germany.

Cheers

Andy