TERRORIST ATTACK NY&PENTAGON

Guest SAMCATGETTER

Guest SAMCATGETTER

Just recieved info that the pilot of the plane that went down in PA, had struggled with the terrorists, while there was an open mic. in the cabin. He stated that he would not allow them to use his plane for further bloodshed, (not exact wording), and took the plane down in a wooded area to reduce loss of life...Good man, hope his resistance is always remembered.

Sam

Guest Andy Thatcher

A sound man. I should like to use the word hero but I fear that the people that caused this nightmare will claim that for far less worthy purposes.

------------------

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you know it makes sense !

Guest NickInTheNorth

Newt Samcatgetter etc

Have you heard anything about missiles hitting Kabul?

Reports on the BBC say that there is tracer fire and missiles landing there. I have also heard the same report from my brother who usually knows what is happening.

If there is, my very best wishes to your country men involved.

I fear that we are all in for several years of serious "war". I hope I am wrong, and also hope that this time the job is finished properly.

I sincereley hope that everyone that reads these forums is still alive. I also hope that the aftermath of today does not take away anyone we know.

God have mercy on us all.

Nick

Guest SAMCATGETTER

Latest I heard on Kabul is that the airport is under attack by Afgani rebels and the US says it isnt us...Sam

[This message has been edited by SAMCATGETTER (edited 11 September 2001).]

to all the Americans, those who post and those who dont, my thoughts are with you all.

I hope that those that are responsible for these horrible and cowardly acts get what is coming to them.

Say what you want about president Bush but i think he knows exactly how to deal with theses type of so called people.

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Further to the above threads, I now realise that the cheering was in fact being done by Arabs in the west Bank.

While I don't condone their behaviour I can at least make a link (they beleieve they are at war with Israel/ U.S)

For one horrible moment I thought that U.S or U.K citizens were the ones cheering- That would be grotesque .

Originally posted by SAMCATGETTER:

The towers were built to take a hit from a boeing707, but apparently the baddies knew this and hijacked larger jets.

Sam

Thanks for clarifying that Sam (and davidP). It was also explained on the news a short while ago too, and I see now why the towers collapsed as they did frown.gif

Even as I watch the replays on tv, I cannot believe that it's really happened. I just cannot begin to comprehend the sort of mentality that hopes to gain from such barbarism frown.gif

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Member - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

Originally posted by Newt:

The really scary part of this is the ease with which a group could do this in other countries as long as they have folks who are willing to die making a statement and who can control an aircraft for a few minutes.  I doubt if the airline pilot would agree to ram a building no matter what the threat.

To be honest Newt, The US has been lucky to last as long as it has without major terrorism. I was shocked the first time I flew internally in America at the lack of security compared to Britain, and at the lack of security at major public facilities. For instance I've never had to go through a bag search to get into any public building or any major tourist attraction. In comparison I went to visit Frogmore House and gardens in the grounds of Windsor Castle two weeks ago and they searched everything and the Royal Family weren't even there. This is because Britain and Europe has lived with terrorism for a long time with the IRA, ETA, Bader Meinhof etc (I've had my workplace blown up as have my Mum & Dad). Sadly however it always requires an act to produce a response, and today we have seen the monstrous act that will finally trigger America to become serious about the threat.

Something that brought home to me the difference in attitude was listening to some of the news conferences and the questions that were asked. Most of the journalists assumed that this horrendous act will have had to be hugely expensive with loads of people and major coordination logistics. Yet the reality is that it could probably have been achieved with 25 people and quite probably fewer. A few people working for the plane cleaners at each airport, 3 hijackers for each plane, a couple of coordinators and that's it. Big jets are easy to fly because the computers control most things. Anybody with a basic flying knowledge could fly them well enough and you can buy almost perfect simulators for any PC as well. All the targets would have been easy to pick out from the air, especialy as it was a fine clear day, so all they had to do was switch off the auto-pilot, find the city and aim.

My heart goes out to all those effected by this act. The best intelligence in the world could not have predicted something of this scale (unless you read Tom Clancy of course). I hope however that the US Government doesn't knee-jerk too hard as there are several countries out there with plenty of money, arms and volunteers who would love to use the US response as an excuse for even more terrorism. Better to let stew for a bit worrying about the response and then surgically take out those that really matter rather than flatten a whole area on the off-chance that who you want is there.

[This message has been edited by davidP (edited 12 September 2001).]