River Trent Salmon

Elton

A FISHING fanatic from Hucknall has landed his first-ever salmon after almost 40 years of being hooked by the sport — and what’s more, it is a record-breaker!

Full article here:

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/lo...eaker_1_4035081

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A great catch bet that made his season yet alone day! cant work this bit out though-

"Paul estimates that up to 100,000 young salmon are now swimming in the river’s network." I'm sure Severn Trent area EA guys wish they could tell that much from one capture!

But we all know how the press get stuff wrong.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

it'll be the Ea who told him that when he reported the catch ,in the last 10 years they've put 200,000 yearings etc in there and nearly as many in the dove but i can't see 100,000 surviving into adult hood the attrition rate is very high through veriuos pollutions incidents and predation from other fish ,birds and animals etc .

i did once nearly shatt me pants ,on the dove stood there quiet as a mouse trotting away midstream at tutby ,when suddenly a salmon (easily double figures nearing 20lbs) leeped out the water right at my feet almost ,dont know who was more shocked me seeing the fish or the fish seeing me ,there are some monsters in them waters

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Its quite surprising how many Silver Pike have been taken by pike anglers on the River Severn as well.................Now we all no they take lures out of aggression and not to feed but I know of four for definate that found live trout,chub and roach "aggravating" !

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A couple of years ago I was pike fishing with a friend at Burton Joyce on the Trent. It was a bitterly cold day, and only a couple of other anglers were fishing along the road stretch. After a couple of hours, I got bored and had a walk along to see how these other anglers were doing. I asked the first I came to if he had any bites, to which he replied that he had just landed a salmon! At this point, I was wondering if he could outrun me to my car...when he said that he had taken a photo of it. Sure enough, there was a clear pic of a salmon, about 7/8 pounds in weight that he had caught on a lamprey section, and released back into the river. I was only a few minutes from actually seeing it with my own eyes, and could tell from the background that he was not kidding me. Cracking pastime this dangling...you just never know...!

I once did that the other way round. Using prawn for salmon got a double-figure barbel.

Knew fairly soon it was no salmon - no fight in it :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::roll1:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I once did that the other way round. Using prawn for salmon got a double-figure barbel.

Knew fairly soon it was no salmon - no fight in it :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::roll1:

Yes Ive manage it that way round a few times, but even when hook in the back (with a fly or spinner) they don't put up as good a fight as a salmon can. B):)

Ive hooked a couple of salmon trotting maggot on light float gear in the last couple of years. The first one i didn't stand a chance with as there was a good bit of extra water on the river and it just shot off like bullet (a big bullet). The second one which i hook in more favorable conditions, (and i suspect it was a smaller fish, only being 4-5lb) did make it for a very quick trip on the bank before getting on its way.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep