Jeremy Wade, The One Show

gozzer

Yeah but that's just it John, you don't think it happens so often and that it's localised but your wrong m8.

The thing is it's happening all the time and across the whole country so it's not at all localised. They don't care where they target either, just blatantly go to private well bailiffed waters and try to front it out. I myself have witnessed the aftermath of a poaching session by them on a small privaye water...they blitzed it !

It's not very long ago one poilsh bloke (out of the group) was drowned in the ribble whilst poaching fish.

Full respect to you John but I don't think you get out as often as you would like (going off your posts) and it's easy to just fob it off and think it's just exagerrated, the thing is an awfull lot of it isn't exagerrated.

You're right Ian, I don't get out anywhere near as often as I would like, but I still try to keep in touch with the local scene. The two examples I gave, are the type of thing I hear regularly, but I don't take them at face value. I like to do a bit of investigating, and asking around to find the truth. I find that when I do ask around, the tales get bigger and bigger, until it's completely different to what actually happened. If it is as widespread as you say, then those that 'expand' the story, (for whatever reason), are doing more harm than good. If they just stuck to the truth, and didn't embellish it with near record fish, and transit vans full of fish, etc, I would be more inclined to believe what they say.

I know anglers are supposed to exaggerate, but some of the things I hear are just ridiculous, and on a par with otters eating all the fish in a fishery.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The foreigners taking fish debate is always one that stumps me.

Down here in somerset many Eastern Europeans do take fish to eat, thats a fact.

But on the other hand, of all the waters I fish near me (commercials/day ticket waters, club waters, canals, rivers) I have only come across eastern europeans once before.

It was on a local pond and there were about four of them. Thinking something might be up I went over and had a chat, and they were very polite. They were a bit short of cash I think as their gear was crude and they'd only bought one day ticket (£3) between them. They asked how many rods they were allowed out with their day ticket, I said one but that nobody would mind if they used two because it wasn't fished much. But they stuck to one however and fished by the rules. They were really nice people, they wished me luck with my fishing, and stuck to their one rod between the four of them. They didn't steal fish as I was there when they left, they didn't leave rubbish and if i'm honest were probably nicer people than many that i've seen on the lake.

So although it does annoy me that foreign people think they can just disobey our laws and take fish for the pot, and i'm sure the problem is worse in other areas, but the only eastern europeans i've come across stuck to the rules completely.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I spend a lot of time on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, as I have a weekend job doing handovers for a local narrowboat hire company which means I'm cruising on the canal for several hours each day.

Throughout the summer I have witnessed carp, perch and pike being taken...people fishing with nothing but a rod and a carrier bag.

On our recent ten day trip on a narrowboat, I saw fish being taken every day...sometimes just put in a carrier bag, but twice they were simply hauled out and thrown on a bankside barbecue.

It happens...

Janet

Edited by Janet

I spend a lot of time on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, as I have a weekend job doing handovers for a local narrowboat hire company which means I'm cruising on the canal for several hours each day.

Throughout the summer I have witnessed carp, perch and pike being taken...people fishing with nothing but a rod and a carrier bag.

On our recent ten day trip on a narrowboat, I saw fish being taken every day...sometimes just put in a carrier bag, but twice they were simply hauled out and thrown on a bankside barbecue.

It happens...

Janet

I've no doubt it does Janet, but did you see any evidence of large numbers of fish being taken, or was it the odd 2 or 3 fish that were taken?

Did you report it?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hard to tell really, but it seemed like just the odd 2 or 3 fish per angler...certainly not huge quantities, but multiply that by the number of anglers and it all adds up...

No, and I regret it now, I didn't report it...we were cruising on a narrowboat at the time and wouldn't have been able to give accurate locations. By the time we reached the next bridge or lock to give a definite location, they would have been long gone....

Janet

If Janet had reported it the EA wouldn't go out to it at all. They haven't got the staff to do it and the one's they have got will not just go out to investigate an incident without them being in numbers (or accompanied by the police) due to the high risk of a slapp round the lugg hole, to say the least.

John, you need to get out more m8 ;)

Janet your right about the canals, they do seem to get an awfull lot of hammer of fish theives.

If Janet had reported it the EA wouldn't go out to it at all. They haven't got the staff to do it and the one's they have got will not just go out to investigate an incident without them being in numbers (or accompanied by the police) due to the high risk of a slapp round the lugg hole, to say the least.

John, you need to get out more m8 ;)

Janet your right about the canals, they do seem to get an awfull lot of hammer of fish theives.

The point of reporting an incident is not for someone to rush there immediately Ian. We know that there aren't enough baiilffs to do that. If there are several reports in an area, then the EA can focus their few staff on that area, and stand a better chance of being there at the right time.

Whether I'm out and about or not, even I can see that Ian. :D

John

The point of reporting an incident is not for someone to rush there immediately Ian. We know that there aren't enough baiilffs to do that. If there are several reports in an area, then the EA can focus their few staff on that area, and stand a better chance of being there at the right time.

Whether I'm out and about or not, even I can see that Ian. :D

John

I know what your saying John but there really isn't much chance of them doing anything unless it Salmon being taken and on a regular basis. They can't (or say they can't) afford to go after the little groups of people as there are simply too many, they'd be flying about everywhere and the courts (if it got that far) would give out tiny penalties.