which whip

frodo_uk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Martin:

Rudd what is a good hit and hold margin pole likely to set me back?

I use a browning net and drag which cost me about 50 quid.

Spare top twos are about 15.00

I have an eight elastic in one for crucian fishing and a 16 elastic in the other.

I have landed double figure fish with ease and not worried about breaking the pole.

Although :Author Topic: Am I the first to break the unbreakable!

RUDD

ANMC Super Poster

Member # 605

posted 10 April, 2001 12:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My birthday is coming up and the wife asked what I want. At the weekend a bought a browning syntec Drag and net pole and a spare top three.

These pole take a twenty elastic and are very strong!

When I got home and elasticated the two kits

I managed to snap one while pulling the elastic!!!!!!

I took the kit back to the shop and the owner who has sold loads of these poles said he had never known one to break and that he has caught double figure carp using one with ease!

Am I the first person to break one of these poles?

RUDD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

Check out the bennets of sheffield website there are loads of poles in your price range
Look at bennets for the range and prices and then go across the road to Caulcotts same stuff ,smaller place ,like an Aladins cave...but much cheaper.

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

mmmmm....back to the poles again...if you check out my other post back in march, it may help you to understand my dilemma.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...ic;f=1;t=012697

After asking for advice on A.N. I'd come to the conclusion that a whip would be more suitable, however now I'm not so sure. would a whip be as easy to place your end tackle exactly where you want it as a pole? and is there much difference between a normal pole and a margin pole? and after seeing poles costing over £1000 am I going to get a reasonably good pole with my measly 100 quid?

If whips are not as accurate as poles, what are the benifits of a whip over pole? a whip must be able to offer something that the pole cannot or surely there'd be no demand for such a tool?

fat, stupid hobbit.

ok folks, well thanks for all the advice you've all given me it has proved invaluable ....just got back from the local tackle shop and quizzed them to and In the end I've opted for a proper pole and I've invested my hundred 'n'fifty quid in a fox 12.5m conspiracy. It was a toss up between that and a maver 10m margin pole but the fox did it for me with the bit of extra length.

So did I make a good choice? has anyone had experience of one and do you rate them?

fat, stupid hobbit.

A good buy for the money, comes with a free elastification pack as well I believe.

Did you get a match top 3 in the pole and a power top two as well?

If you did I would suggest 4-8 elastic in your top 3 and 12-14 in your power kits and that should cover most of your fishing unless going for lumps in the margins mate in which you will need 16 elastic at least.

Welcome to the world of pole fishing, next investment is a role to help ship in and out and a couple of rigs and away you go.

Yours in sport

Gary

yup got two tips ones gonna be the three your talking about I guess :confused: and the other one :confused: :rolleyes: . Its being elasticated for me over the weekend and I'm picking it up monday, got myself a roller as well today (just a basic one i think by dinsmore -£15).

Your right it does come with a free elastication kit and complete with 4,6,8 and 10 elastics. I asked for eight in the lighter one and twelve in the heavier one, I thought that sounded about right and they were quite happy to simply exchange the ten in the free pack for a twelve for me :) .

I know I read on here somewhere that eight is a good all round size and then I thought twelve for any bigger stuff.

anyway weather permitting I'll be on the bank monday at the earliest friday at the latest to give it a test drive :):):) . tight lines everyone.

fat, stupid hobbit.

• 3 weeks later...

oh dear :confused: :( well got my pole home only to find a crack in the butt section so back to fox it went and returned about 10 days later.

Gave it a test drive last night (in the rain :( ) And I'm having to admit to not exactly taking to pole fishing like duck to water :o .

having 12m of pole in front of you is hard work...the pole weighs a ton like that and the end is sooo wobbly at full stretch my end tackle tangled. plus now holding the pole in both hands how do you feed your swim ? its not like it will sit on a rod rest. if you leave a section of pole behind i cant lift it cus the end section hits the ground . adding sections whilst there is ten ot eleven meters of pole in front of you is nearly impossible cus of the weight. now! I aint stupid! I seen plenty of other anglers using em just fine, so I know I'm doin' it wrong ! please help :confused: :o thx

fat, stupid hobbit.