Top Perch Methods in winter

Dave H

As above. I know many will say worms but in all the years i have fishing i never seem to catch a damn thing on worms not that you cant but perhaps i am doing something wrong?

Anyway , what about good rigs etc. I have set a mission of a 4lb Perch this winter and i know this place i fish has them :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free running leger with a fat lob always gets me fish.

Mix it up a bit and try a block end feeder with maggots or chopped worm.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

As above. I know many will say worms but in all the years i have fishing i never seem to catch a damn thing on worms not that you cant but perhaps i am doing something wrong?

Anyway , what about good rigs etc. I have set a mission of a 4lb Perch this winter and i know this place i fish has them :)

What sort of venue are you fishing ? - I get loads of perch on float fished lobs o from my local canal...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Chris and others

Have you seen the article in Anglers Mail this week (whatever week was in Tesco yesterday eve) about perch fishing on the Kennet, with Gary Newman and Paul Smythe? Nothing new, I guess, and I must admit I just read it quickly in tesco.

J

john clarke

I don't think you'll get any useful answers unless you describe the water you'll be fishing, and what you've tried so far. Choice of baits, rigs and tactics - even the best time of day to be fishing - are very venue-specific when it comes to perch.

Also, a 4lb+ perch is a hell of a target! Genuine 4s are very rare fish, and having the bar set that high is bound to result in disappointment. Better perhaps at this stage to try to just catch perch from there regularly, get everything working right, and then if the big ones are in there you've got a good chance of picking one up sooner or later.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Also, a 4lb+ perch is a hell of a target!

Tell me about it - I decided around 05/06 season that I wanted one....got with in a couple of ounces (twice now). Still hunting. Also I suspect that many reports of 4lb perch aren't actual 4s !!;)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Also I suspect that many reports of 4lb perch aren't actual 4s !!;)

Ain't that the truth! I've caught a 3 (or at least a watching angler said it was a 3) it wasn't even a 2 on the scales!

Rich

All,

VERY BAD ENGLISH LOGIC. In America a fish weighing 3.01 is a 4 pound fish in conversation. After all, it's NOT a 3 pound fish and it is perfectly OK to "round up" for simplicity sake.

Having said that. Let me ask a general question. In the winter do you inflate lob worms with insulin(sp) needles? Works for me.

Phone