Rain and Fishing

Guest David Johnson

Guest David Johnson

Hi All,

Please excuse a niave question from a newbie pleasure angler.

Given the weekends wet forecast frown.gif what do you all feel rain does to fishing prospects? I was thinking of river fishing, probably Chub/barbel on one of MKAA's stretches of the Ouse. I've read that rain can improve sport on rivers by raising levels and increasing colour. Whenever I fish in the rain all I catch is a cold! Is it worth sticking out thundery downpours?

Dave

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi David,

To be honest I've always found fishing in the rain to be no better to other times.....

Juat before it rains - when the sky clouds over, the air feels heavy and everything goes still - now that's a different matter biggrin.gif

also when the water starts to fine down it's normally good - but when it's actually pouring with rain? I've not noticed it to be any better (or worse) that usual....

Simon

Guest Dave Hill

Hi David,

I think your right in as much as fish do seem to respond better in coloured water, especially as Simon says when the river is fining down.

However... If the river is rising, I find that fishing can deteriorate dramatically!! Of course, if it is raining, then it will also be overcast and I feel that this together with the change of atmospheric pressure is probably more likely to affect the fish.

I was once told that the effect of rising water was to wash 'fresh' dirt into the water and was the equivalent of a sand storm in a desert to a fish!!!

Guest Steve Burke

It's nor the rain itself that's important but the effect it has on the water. For instance, rain going into an already flooded river isn't likely to improve prospects.

Additionally, species respond differently to extra water in the river. Species such as roach and barbel respond positively but coloured water puts pike off the feed.

In general, rivers seem to fish best when the colour is fining down after the flood. On the way up fishing is not usually as good. However, there's one exception and that is just as the river starts to rise when fishing can be excellent.

In general I've found wet summers can offer some fantastic fishing on rivers. On the other hand, a wet spell in a dry summer isn't as good. This may be because a lot of farm chemicals suddenly get into the river.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Dishyfishy you must have read my mind, just what I was going to warn of, not a good idea holding a 13ft lightning conductor.

Cheers

lofc