Mother Christmas is getting me a centre pin

Tangled

As the title I want a centre pin for Christmas budget around £150. I have been fishing the Severn and some of ,it 's tributaries above shrewsbury and would like to try a centre pin.The 2 rods I have to usecit with are a korum 12ft neotoric float and a Mach 3 xl lite 13ft. Visits to the 2 local shops the only reel I saw was the okuma Martin James at £209 the other shop recommended the greys berwick at £199. So all my looking has been done on the Internet .

Looking around TFG is now £50 okuma aventa pro £110 was a Leeds went on eBay for £60 and watching a berwick and a few others but I have no idea what I want.

As it will be my first experience with any centre pin I will not know if I buy used if it a good example or not.

I don't know if I like the silver of the Sheffield looking at the picture.

I realize I will get lots of different suggestions but I hope that one wil eventually stand out as a good compromise of price and quality.

Looking forward to pages of posts

Thanks

Dave

Try doing a quick search - we get a 'What Centrepin' thread every couple of months. Beware though once you get one - tis but a slippery slope... :D As for what to get... Okumas make good 'starter reels' and a few of my mates swear by Speedias - which you should be able to pick up on ebay for around 60-90 notes...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'd say this looks like a excellent reel ....

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Adcock-...5-t3868676.html

I was just thinking that myself and you beat me to it.

Don't really know why it is still there.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

My recommendation would be the Okuma Adventa Pro apart from the colour difference with the Sheffield the pro has the advantage of having the handles set a little further in towards the center of the drum which is a major bonus when Wallis casting as it greatly reduces the chances of getting your knuckles rapped.

These reels are well made workhorses that will last you for many years Once you have learned your craft on one of these reels Then you may want to go down the slippery road of tackle tartery and buy the likes of Lythes and Carters reels but they are no better as fishing reels just worth more on the collectors markets!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Last few seasons been using an Okuma Aventa Pro....very good pin. But this week I picked up a TFG classic at £49.99....in gun metal (didnt like the chrome option). Spins freely and although not quite as smooth as the okuma (tiny bit of grittiness in the bearings but hardly noticeable) its better value. I picked it up for mates to use when we go trotting but thinking of using it myself now.

Apparently TFG have a new model coming out next year so have to shift stock, hence the £49.99 price tag. 10/10 for value.

I am going to buy the Adcock Stanton that Steve has for sale.I don't know if it will be suitable for my usagebut it will certainly look nice in a cabinet if it isn't and the price is good.thanks for the link Tigger.

Alan Roe

Posted Today, 11:02 AM

My recommendation would be the Okuma Adventa Pro apart from the colour difference with the Sheffield the pro has the advantage of having the handles set a little further in towards the center of the drum which is a major bonus when Wallis casting as it greatly reduces the chances of getting your knuckles rapped

Alan If I was going to buy new I think it would of been the Adventa pro but this info about handle spacing is something only someone with experience can tell you about as for wallis casting I obviously need a trip to the PAAS open day next year as you tube is a no no with my internet connection speed.

When I receive the reel and have used it a few times I will probably have a few questions but until then.

Thanks All

Dave

I am going to buy the Adcock Stanton that Steve has for sale.I don't know if it will be suitable for my usagebut it will certainly look nice in a cabinet if it isn't and the price is good.thanks for the link Tigger.

Dave

Good choice Dave, I have two Stantons and I think they're as good as any higher end pin. I think the one Steve's selling has the added bonus of a drag... in the front centre.

You'll have to let us know how you get onwith it :D .

When I receive the reel and have used it a few times I will probably have a few questions but until then.

Thanks All

Dave

Yes definitely a good choice.I loved my Stanton and Steve's one with a ratchet as well (mine like most didn't have one) would be even better.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!