Treating Roach & Perch

Guest DerwentBob

Guest DerwentBob

The overactive Pike in my local pond (Mapperley Res.) are making a real mess of the larger Roach and Perch (I assume the small ones disappear permanently). What treatment could I give to help those fish with large fresh bitemarks, would a product like Klinik be OK for other fish?.

One for Bruno I suppose.

Guest pikelines editor

Hi Bob,

When you say big Roach and Perch, how big do you mean (lbs and ounces)? Where are these wounds, are they mainly around the vent area?

If yes, it could well be big predatory eels doing the damage and not pike. Even a high single-figure pike would devour a pound roach or perch, they don't normally miss!

I've seen bite wounds off big predatory eels a lot. On one of my waters there are no pike, just big predatory eels. When fishing for livebaits I would say that every one in 5 has some sort of wound, even large roach and skimmers up to 12 ounces!

Most are where the eel has made a grab at the vent and the fish has slipped out of the eels jaws due to them being slimey (more so than usual, maybe evolution of extra defence?).

Eels jaws are much smaller than a pikes, so less chance of a definitive grip.

The wounds left are mainly non-injurous being a perfect semicircle of stripped-off scales in the main.

Just a thought.

Best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest Vagabond

Could it be cormorants? In the last few years I've seen many fish with a deepish wound one side and a smaller one the other, which I have thought to be due to cormorants, as I'd never noticed these in the past when cormorants were a rarity inland.

Single or double stab wounds on one side only I've always assumed to be caused by herons, whilst several parallel slashes to me suggest a near miss from a pike. I've also caught salmon and seatrout with chunks missing - the work of seal or otter.

I use a spot of old fashioned Friar's Balsam (Compound Tincture of Benzoin) on fish's wounds - its sticky, waterproof for a short while and antiseptic. Have used it since before Clinik was invented.

------------------

Vagabond

Guest DerwentBob

The culprits are definitely Jack Pike as I was bitten myself a fortnight ago. I was putting a 9-10oz roach back in the water when a little jack about 10-12" long grabbed the tail of the roach and my little finger along with it. There are literally a couple of small jacks in every swim, either that or they are following me about. I've not seen or heard of any eels in the vicinity and we don't seem to have cormorants yet (touch wood).

The little b*****s seem to be getting a bit above themselves, as they are only a couple of inches in diameter they couldn't swallow most of the fish they attack.

Guest Ken L

Fishing for livebaits !

In a water that contains no pike !

How and where were they going to be used legally ?

Guest pikelines editor

Ken,

Simple answer...

The small lives I catch are legally used at the same venue to catch the big predatory eels!! That's why I fish for them (as well as the general pleasure of catching of course).

The bigger roach etc. are put back as they are too big for ell livebaits.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest Ken L

Fair enough !

Never really thought about using lives for eels myself - to many quality perch get deep hooked with small lives fished near the bottom.

But hey, so long as it works for you..

Guest Bruno Broughton
Originally posted by DerwentBob:

What treatment could I give to help those fish with large fresh bitemarks, would a product like Klinik be OK for other fish?.

One for Bruno I suppose.

I assume that you are catching the damaged fish on rod-and-line, in which case - as they are feeding - they will be using the energy gained from food to begin to repair damaged tissue. No preparation will aid that process, but several will prevent the ingress of secondary infections. KlinIk and several other products will be fine (go to a good koi shop and you will find various sprays and barrier creams).

However, the underlying problem of lots of jacks is more worrying. It's while since the gave the club advice on the res., so I will gladly help on this or allied topics if you/they so wish. My email address is: bruno.broughton@virgin.net.

------------------

Bruno

Guest pikelines editor

Ken,

Thanks for the reply, oh yes it works for me alright...

Big predatory eels are absolutely voracious in their habit, more so than pike in my experience. Livebaiting for them can be extremely successful and frustrating!

No perch in this venue, so no chance of deep-hooking any, I know what you mean though, I've seen it myself.

------------------

Best, Steve Ormrod