How Big Are Angling Clubs?

Guest Elton

Guest Elton

I'm not the competitive type, but I am curious.

The ANMC recruited quite a few people in its first week and I have plans to make it even better over the coming months.

How big does it have to be before it is considered as a 'reasonable' size in angling terms? What's the scope here, say, between a small local club and the largest angling organisation there is in the UK?

Yours intrigued,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

This big<----------------------------------------------------------------------------> biggrin.gif

Sorry mate couldn't resist it tongue.gif

A question Elton : How many registered members are there on the AN list??

Now imagine if everyone of those joined the ANMC (hold on that won't really be accurate cos Dians gonna be a member of ANMC & she ain't a registered poster! That can soon be changed though) biggrin.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest big al

surely that question would run from a few,say a syndicate of 10,to the biggest having say 10000.what's the largest angling club in member numbers in the country,anyone know?.don't have to be big to be good.cheers big al

Guest Dave Hill

Elton,

I have just read the following extract from the Birmingham Anglers Association website:

From those humble beginnings rose an organisation which has been at the forefront of angling for over a hundred years. At it's peak in the mid '70's the BAA could boast a membership of nearly 70,000 anglers with 1,200 affiliated clubs, figures which led to the claim of being, "the biggest angling association in the world ." To-day we are rather more modest about our claims and even if we are not the largest, we still claim to be "the best"......

Can't see any up to date figures though!!!

Guest Chris B

Elton,

I think the benchmark these days has to be 5000 members.

Only the big city clubs (Birmingham, LAA etc...)and one or two others have more than this.

10,000 members would give you one per cent of all coarse anglers, if you accept the EA's total of slightly over 1m rod licence sales as indicative of the number who fish.

It would also give you a mailing list with approx 10 per cent of the circulation of Angling Times and Angler's Mail, which between them shift around 100,000 copies a week.

Regards,

CB

Guest Chris B

Give or take a Stew?

Hey, Sedge, what did you get opening day..? Presume you were working on the 18th.