Tadpoles

Guest RAY OWEN

Guest RAY OWEN

This is somthing that has often made me stop and think but as yet have no answer. Can anybody help me or have any first hand experiance.

Do fish eat tadpoles (ie small perch) and if so has anybody tried using them as bait and how would u present them.

Ray

Guest Gray-Catchpole

Funny you should mention this ray, ive been away building a pond for my uncle, and whilst there we visited a friend of his to get some details on the best way to do the pond, when we got there his wife was moaning at him because his fish had eaten her tadpoles, these where goldfish, but i presume if they do, then many other fish will too.

------------------

Email:

[This message has been edited by Gray-Catchpole (edited 19 June 2001).]

Guest Gray-Catchpole

your spot on david

but when they move into a pond, in your garden, i think there is no problem, the problem arises when you take them from the natural habitat.

the former was the case in this situation.

------------------

Email:

Guest Chris Shaw

Carp have been seen to eat tadpoles. I have never seen this myself it was something I read somewhere many years ago. I also do not recall if this was in the wild or a pond.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 20 June 2001).]

Guest Bretty

Tadpoles are best fished just as they are growing their legs. Tie a bit of bait floss around it's middle then knotless-knot them to the back of the hook tongue.gif I bet the carp love 'em

Bretty wink.gif

Guest Scott

I remember reading once an article by Rod Hutchinson, he had caught a large carp by stalking it as it went up and down the margins eating tadpoles, cant remember if he used them for bait.

If perch were feeding on them I would be tempted to use a small Redgill or rubber lure in black (of course).

Scott.

Guest DerwentBob

Yonks ago I caught several perch on a home made tadpole pattern fly. The fly consisted of a size 12 hook with a piece of black wool laid over the back then wound round near the eye to form the head. I think I dipped the whole thing in polyurethane varnish and twisted the tail to make it come to a point. I jigged a couple of these on stiff mono paternosters over the edge of a landing stage. They worked for a while but when the tadpoles disappeared I never tried them again. Since all you need is an old black jumper a hook and some ronseal give it a try, you have little to lose.

Guest RONAN

Tadpoles are excellent bait in my neck of the woods & especially the bullfrog variety which are about 4" long from tip to stearn... (LOL)

I`ll use them when I can find them for catfishing...

RONAN

Guest activeviii

quote:

I could be wrong here but, arn!t Frogs & Tadpoles protected by law now.

so how do you go about prosicuting a fish????

------------------

...phil...

keep it tight.