barbbel

Guest biteless1

Guest biteless1

just found out that there are some barbel in the canterbury stretches of the stour, my mate lost a 7lber at the weekend. having never fished for these before, what is a good bait to use and what sort of tackle,ie

rod test curve and breaking strain line is adiquate for the job. i mainly fish for carp and im not sure if this gear would be a bit overkill.

all the best, arran`

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Dunno mate you'd best ask the master barbler himself Eltonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn rolleyes.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest chris

Hi biteless.Sorry,how do you know it was a 7

if your mate lost it!!! frown.gif

What bait was yor mate using at the time! that would be a starter.Meat,maggot,worm,boilies,will all take fish,bread,chese,pellet as well.

If you only have a carp rod to hand sure you can use it.Tackle needs to be well up to the job,even more so if swims are very snaggy.

Good luck,chris. smile.gifsmile.gif

Guest biteless1

the hook pulled at the net mate, he was well gutted. he was using a bunch of maggots going for some chub he was stalking, i just wondered if there was a wonder bait lol

Guest Mick Cottam

Whenever barbel fishing on the River Ribble in Lancashire, I use an avon style quiver which is 1.25lb test. I also have a 2lb test carp rod which is very good as well. I would go any stronger than this. As for lines 8lb is my minimum because the river is very snaggy and fast and the fish are insane as any barbel angler will tell you. Baits: hair rigged luncheon meat, with spaghetti as the stop, maggots, worms, caster, and sweetcorn. Boilies sometimes work. Lots of hemp as a bed, and I would bait up with hemp in several places leave it them for about an hour and then return to each. Use a roving approach between each baited spot.

Regards, Mick

Originally posted by biteless1:

just found out that there are some barbel in the canterbury stretches of the stour, my mate lost a 7lber at the weekend. having never fished for these before, what is a good bait to use and what sort of tackle,ie

rod test curve and breaking strain line is adiquate for the job. i mainly fish for carp and im not sure if this gear would be a bit overkill.

all the best, arran`