Baits that are differant??

Guest tony jolley

Guest tony jolley

I have started to try a few "differant" baits within my Eel fishing,

By differant I mean not the "usual" type of bait that I use eg worm or fish baits,

I thought I would ask you all to think of any baits that you thought should catch any type of fish that you fish for that was a bit differant to what you or we would usually use to catch that particular type of fish,

Remmember ANY BAIT FOR ANY FISH!,

you can also think of any bait that you havent already tried as someone may try it for you and let us all know how they got on!!!.

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest paul mc

Hi Tony

i am currently tryin marzipan not had much luck yet.Going to the severn tomorrow or thursay so there's time yet.

regards paul mc

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Paul marzipans a good bait mate but soak it in vanilla flavoring first biggrin.gif

As for different baits i use blue bannana boilies!!! tongue.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest phonebush

Tony,

The most enhancing addition to any bait that I have not seen on AN is copper wire. Anytime there is a salt of any sort in the bait or water copper generates a small electrical charge quite noticeable to every species of fish. Some more than others but none the less it is there. That is why sharks are always found around garbage dumps. Tin cans generate an electric charge as well.

Of course, different fish react differently. Most predators are attracted and take the bait agressively, schooling fish repelled, carp act, IMO, curiously. I always use a bait that is not necesarily food for example with copper I like sparkle. For trout I like sparkle pellets. You get the notion.... BTW coated wire, like the small telephone wires makes a good hair.

For all species, (never fished on purpose for an eel) I like motion provided by AlkaSelzter.

Hardly ever see marshmallows mentioned on UK sites.

I have used with great success in rivers the holographic fish eyes in conjunction with naturals.

Phone

Guest Mick Cottam

Phone, this is an interesting one which I would be grateful if you could elaborate on. What your saying is that if i bought a herring (an amount of salt content already) for deadbaiting for pike, I could attach a piece of copper wire to the trace (to stop this being eaten by the pike) and then insert it into the herring and then an electrical charge would be produced.

Cheers, Mick

Originally posted by phonebush:

Tony,

The most enhancing addition to any bait that I have not seen on AN is copper wire. Anytime there is a salt of any sort in the bait or water copper generates a small electrical charge quite noticeable to every species of fish. Some more than others but none the less it is there. That is why sharks are always found around garbage dumps. Tin cans generate an electric charge as well.

Of course, different fish react differently. Most predators are attracted and take the bait agressively, schooling fish repelled, carp act, IMO, curiously. I always use a bait that is not necesarily food for example with copper I like sparkle. For trout I like sparkle pellets. You get the notion.... BTW coated wire, like the small telephone wires makes a good hair.

For all species, (never fished on purpose for an eel) I like motion provided by AlkaSelzter.

Hardly ever see marshmallows mentioned on UK sites.

I have used with great success in rivers the holographic fish eyes in conjunction with naturals.

Phone

Guest Chris Shaw

How about even trying to catch an eel on wool with no hook, tie a mess of wool onto the end of the hooklink, cover/soak in smelly dead fish or a nice stinky fish oil. What is supposed to happen is the eels teeth of which it has many like needles get tangled in the wool and it cannot let go.

I have never tried it.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

Guest tony jolley

Hi Chris!

The pass time you mention is called "Babbing"

and is I beleive still practiced in the Norfolk area,

I would love a method of catching eels that removed the need to hook them, problems with deep hooking would be a thing of the past,

I remember saying to an N,A,C member about wrapping wool around a dead bait so when the eel picks up the bait its teeth get stuck as you mentioned, I was unsure about thehold that would be attchieved by the eel.

So I never tried it. maybe I should.

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Originally posted by tony jolley:

I remember saying to an N,A,C member about wrapping wool around a dead bait so when the eel picks up the bait its teeth get stuck as you mentioned, I was unsure about thehold that would be attchieved by the eel.

So I never tried it. maybe I should.

Tony - not familiar with eels or their teeth but this method is in common useage in the US for our longnose gar (freshwater fish with a boney snout that is nearly impossible to drive a hook thru and LOTS of teeth). Favorite is to take a piece of white nylon rope and fray the end several inches.

Guest phonebush

Mick,

The electric charge would be there for sure. The question I cannot answer is about the species pike. Newt will correct me but if we are talking similar to North American Northern Pike (Esocidae) the answer is a definate maybe yes. I think even better would be to take the same herring and add holigraphic eyes connected by copper wire.

I am certainly not an expert on predatory fish or their habits in UK waters.

Phone

Guest phonebush

Chris Shaw,

Curiously enough, copper chore-boys (used in the kitchen to scrub pots and pans) when salted are excellent bait. Unless you are gar fishing you need a hook.

Phone

Ohh, a couple of the fellows said you wouldn't know anything about tools for kitchen work. Said you hardly work at all much less womens work. HUMMM