Baits that are differant??

Guest tony jolley

Originally posted by phonebush:

Newt will correct me but if we are talking similar to North American Northern Pike (Esocidae) the answer is a definate maybe yes.

Esox lucius in both places I think.

Guest pikelines editor

Hi Tony,

Check out my posting re. 'non-feeding eels mate.

I used to use big caddis grubs to catch donkey perch at a local pond, it's been filled in now, or is it my age!

Next Tues/Weds we're off to the stillwater that produced the '7' last year, hoping for a shedload of the 'common 5's' at least...

How are you sliming?

------------------

Best, Steve Ormrod

Guest Steve Burke

I've used whitebait to catch barbel, carp, chub, eels, perch (rare), pike, tench, brown trout & rainbow trout. In every case I've caught several of each species.

All but the tench were caught deliberately. In fact, as I've posted before, carp were an absolute pest when fishing whitebait for other species! Freshwater deadbaits are also good for carp but not in the same league as whitebait, which are the fry of sprats and herrings.

For chub in rivers, but especially on stillwaters, whitebait is one of my favourite baits. Indeed, the first article I ever wrote, which was in 1980, was entitled "Chub on Whitebait"!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest tony jolley

Steve Burt!

Thanks for the white bait idea,

I know of at least one angler used white bait for eels I dont think he caught though as its easy to give up on an idea if you arnt successfull quickly!

Did you find it better to prebait with white bait or are they pretty instant as a eel bait?

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by tony jolley:

Steve Burt!

Did you find it better to prebait with white bait or are they pretty instant as a eel bait?

Instant.

They were also instant for carp. However, prebaiting much increased the catch rate. Perhaps my next article should be entitled "Carp on whitebait"? wink.gif

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest tony jolley

Thanks Steve

I`m getting a bit "desperate" so I am going to try them tomorrow night,

Any tips as to amount to put out /feed down with?

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Freshwater deadbaits are also good for carp but not in the same league as whitebait, which are the fry of sprats and herrings.

Tsk Tsk Phone old fella.

I do wonder, however:

1. What is a sprat?

2. Why the name "whitebait"?

Guest pikelines editor

Tony,

Try half a small sandeel as a change bait, hit the runs quickly though as they wooff em down! Also the heads off big snake launces, are good, they have great big eyes.

Have you tried slugs yet, yuk?

------------------

Best, Steve Ormrod