My Record Wild brown trout from the TWEED

cannibalspinners

Nice fish, Cannibal S - is that what influenced your choice of forum name ?

It is quite amazing how, if one catches a decent fish, one gets gratuitous advice on,

The method you "should" have used

Whether you should or should not have eaten it

and whether it is a meritorious catch anyway.

Over the years you will have to learn to shrug such advice aside and always do what you think right - as in this case

The fish was caught in SEP 2004

The photo had been missing for 7 years

My mother found a copy at her house on monday

So i thought i would share it with you all

When the TWEED foundation read the scales

They told me the fish was in its last year of life Anyway

Due to something they read in its scales ,I dont know what

So hitting it on the head made little difference

I bet the other trout were glad it was taken out the river

As it had 6 of its brothers inside it

1 at almost 11 inches long

it had the head of a Bull dog Did this fish

I have taken stick for this fish on other forums

But i was and Still am proud of it :D

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear I knew this would provoke the same old response from the same old :rolleyes:

Surely you must accept that opinion would be divided in such a matter, taking the moral high ground as you do,

Do YOU accept that your opinion might not be univesal. Of course I understand that there are divisions, that its why I posted, to show the lad whose picture we see that we don't all see it the same as his critics. Taking the moral high ground, as you put it is a bit rich, and especially hyoctitical, for I am not a busybody going around sugesting how others aught to live their lives, knock a trout on the head and have it for dinner, or eat pig, the choice is yours, neither are illegal so leave those who do them alone to get on with it. I do.

Where did you get your 90% of anglers figure from? has there been recent research into opinions? ir was it something you just snatched out of the air to make you feel better and to support your case? becasue if the latter is true then its purley subjective and invaild.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Thank you I was aware also of these growth rings, but I don't believe it can indicate the condition of the fish, besides by then it would not have mattered the Trout had been killed <_<

You might be surprised what can be gleaned from the growth marks in hard structures of fishes (I have a little knowledge in this area).

Edited by Steve Walker

Not for one minute did I think I would have mass approval on AN :rolleyes: in that I felt that such a fish should be taken from it's natural environment. Just how your response regarding bacon butties is at all relative to a big wild trout is not clear, pigs by and large (possibly more than 90%) are farmed, as are a large number of trout that are eaten.

Your current retort seems to be that any response you don't agree with is made to make the author 'feel better' how patronising Emma, this is a Forum as I said and even if you don't agree to treat any reply as such is very poor.

The figure I quoted at 90% would I think be a fair comment how current thinking lies with most Anglers both coarse and even game.

I guess you can say it might be the opinion of someone who has years of Angling experience and is very mush in touch with current trends.

You? :D

I must admit to replying to the post without looking to see who posted it otherwise I may have done as others have and ignored you. You make up nonsense to suit your arguments as you go along. You invent statistics and have conjoured up what you call my 'current retort''??? other than over the last couple of days I haven't commented in here for weeks. Why is it 'patronising' when I disagree with something and not when you do? I know a 7 year old like you, kicks off awfully when checked in any way, always condiders everything and everone except him as stupid/wrong. Hopefully he will grow up.

Does your invented 90% mean 90% of anglers globally, nationally or just of those you know and see fishing?

To imply (yes you do) that someone has less years of angling experience (although experience doesnt equate to wisdom at all) is an especially silly thing to do on the internet where unless they write a biography, you have no idea what others lives have included.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Guest redfin2

Surely Emma and others to lose such a fish in this way is a shame? Of course trout are nortiously difucult to revive, but with sympathetic handling it shouldn't be a problem, very much with TM on this one, conservation, not consumption :D

Given its cannibal nature I wonder how many other Brown trout you "conserved" by removing it.

In addition it would have eaten many many Salmon parr and Salmon is a lot more endangered than Brown trout.

I would say it was probably a good move overall.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Given its cannibal nature I wonder how many other Brown trout you "conserved" by removing it.

In addition it would have eaten many many Salmon parr and Salmon is a lot more endangered than Brown trout.

I would say it was probably a good move overall.

Yes and on Salmon rivers, particularly the Scottish ones 'Brownies' have long been considered as vermin. That said a fish of that size generally isen't good eating. I haven't had one that big this year (we pick 'em up in the lake when trolling for pike.) a 2lber is a decent table fish above that they go back.

Tosh Sportsman...now if it was a Rainbow then I would agree.

Never been on the Tweed have you? They don't have rainbow trout in the Tweed.

Are you suggesting that brown trout don't eat other brown trout or more importantly salmon parr?

How many do you think that this specimen would have eaten over say the next 6 months?

Given its size and therefore probable age do you think that it was particularly good breeding stock?

Do you think that the Tweed is short of brown trout breeding stock?

Do you think that it should have been returned so that it could be caught over and over again?

If you knew anything about the Tweed you would know how likely that was. :P

No harm was done to the river by removing this fish, in fact it was probably overall a good thing.

Most river keepers and ghillies on Scottish river would have been all for removing it.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

It would be interesting to compare the sustainability of taking wild brownies for the table versus turning wild sea fish into pellets to feed to farmed rainbows for the table.