My Record Wild brown trout from the TWEED

cannibalspinners

It would be interesting to compare the sustainability of taking wild brownies for the table versus turning wild sea fish into pellets to feed to farmed rainbows for the table.

Or indeed into pellets so that anglers can catch the same barbel over and over again ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again you are showing a lack of knowledge about angling, have you ever caught a Barbel? If you had you will know that repeat captures of barbel, as you put over and over again are not associated with the species, carp maybe on commercials, and also perhaps where such places also stock barbel.

However Adams Mill could have been such a place a few years back when there were repeat captures but those barbel have since fallen prey to other influences.

So, Barbel anglers don't use pellets and barbel, once caught are never caught again. Well, you live and learn.

Again you are showing a lack of knowledge about angling, have you ever caught a Barbel? If you had you will know that repeat captures of barbel, as you put over and over again are not associated with the species, carp maybe on commercials, and also perhaps where such places also stock barbel.

However Adams Mill could have been such a place a few years back when there were repeat captures but those barbel have since fallen prey to other influences.

Are you suggesting Barbel don't generally get recaptured?

trout are nortiously difucult to revive, but with sympathetic handling it shouldn't be a problem, very much with TM on this one, conservation, not consumption :D

I shall take your word for it, I have never tried to 'revive' a trout, small ones(parr) are shaken off the hook any larger than that which don't look as though they will survive are given the priest. I should point out however that out of 20 odd brownies taken this year (all while piking) only one ended up on the table.

Refraining from killing does not automatically equate to 'conservation' it's a deeper and wider issue than what happens to individuals of a given species. (Bassenthwaite lake conservation research team spokesman may 2008) I tend to listen to and believe conservation scientists rather than random internet posters,

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

So, Barbel anglers don't use pellets and barbel, once caught are never caught again. Well, you live and learn.

:D

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Again you are showing a lack of knowledge about angling, have you ever caught a Barbel? If you had you will know that repeat captures of barbel, as you put over and over again are not associated with the species, arp maybe on commercials, and also perhaps where such places also stock barbel.

there are now barbel of all sizes from very small to mid double figures. Even the River Beult at Yalding is said to hold a few, though I have no personal experience of this. However, we must not be complacent for many fish are recaptures and it can appear there are more than there really are.

Standen, R (2011). Barbel Articles now, Modern Barbel tactics and techniques. Traditional Angling values

Recaptures are so much a part of modem day barbel fishing that I am sure that we are all familiar with the subject. Indeed the inability to recognise individual fish can lead to a serious misassumption on the potential of a fishery.

Wolfe. J. (2011) The Barbel catchers club.

'barbel will experience increased stress when frequently caught '

Barbel fishing World http://www.barbel.co.uk/index.php

'we sometimes forget how often recaptures occur. '

The Barbel Society Website www.barbelsociety.co.uk/RiverDiary.htm

Perhaps it's you' TM who isn't as well informed as you would like us to believe, or do you imagine all these other sources as wrong too?

Yes yes Emma of course there are recaptures, but Barbel are great travellers, and apart from certain situations (as I described) to which the above quotes are attributed the majority of Barbel do not suffer re-capture over and over again as Sportsman implied.

Stilll blagging with little or no credibility left, I did think that perhaps you realised that and left it alone.

But have you ever caught a Barbel, even a French one? I have and have never caught the same one twice....errr you might want to sit down here, but Hallibut pellets are not processed from Hallibut, but are for the feeding of such, there you go you have learned a little more to-day.

Soon have you sorted :D

I have searched everywhere and just can't find where I said or even implied that Halibut pellets were made from halibut. Maybe you could use your towering intellect to enlighten me once again.

Pellets are made from a variety of wild caught sea fish. dependant upon which fish is being farmed it takes many kilos of wild fish to create one kilo of farmed fish. (I actually talked about this in one of the conservation threads, do try and keep up)

The use of fishmeal based groundbaits and pellets by anglers is a spin off.

There are some people who happily use these products, made from tons of dead wild fish to catch other fish and then bang on about fish welfare, using unhooking mats, only using disgorgers they they personally approve of and the critical importance of returning every fish caught in the name of conservation.

These people are called "hypocrites"

I have searched everywhere and just can't find where I said or even implied that Halibut pellets were made from halibut. Maybe you could use your towering intellect to enlighten me once again.

Pellets are made from a variety of wild caught sea fish. dependant upon which fish is being farmed it takes many kilos of wild fish to create one kilo of farmed fish. (I actually talked about this in one of the conservation threads, do try and keep up)

The use of fishmeal based groundbaits and pellets by anglers is a spin off.

There are some people who happily use these products, made from tons of dead wild fish to catch other fish and then bang on about fish welfare, using unhooking mats, only using disgorgers they they personally approve of and the critical importance of returning every fish caught in the name of conservation.

These people are called "hypocrites"

Re , Trout scale readings

When i sent them for the Tweed biologists to read

they told me the fish spent most of the year in the lower reaches

of the Tweed , Possibly even slightly salted water

But every year it came upstream maybe 40 miles or so to breed

They also told me by looking at the scales they could tell what the weather

had been like in the last few years

How this is done i have no idea

Edited by cannibalspinners

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com