My Record Wild brown trout from the TWEED

cannibalspinners

These people are called "hypocrites"

Yes they are, and what seems to make 'em so is an apparent inability to think below the surface and to move away from contemporary (the flock) thought and practice, tying to pass it off as progressive and modern.

They will stick sternley to their guns though, make up stuff to suit their argument as they go along, and will bang on undeterred by overwhelming opposing evidence.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting - if you google "Slob trout" and/or "Bull trout" you can read a bit about these "near seatrout" I have come across them in Argyll, in Ireland and in the Hebrides, where they drop down to the "sea pool" or even into a sea loch for part of the year.

Many trout populations show this trend - ie a proportion of them become seatrout, a proportion become "slob" trout, a proportion stay in big lochs and become "ferox" and the rest just stay as bog-standard brown trout.

Apart from a couple of sessions on the Spey, I have little personal experience of east or north-east-flowing Scottish rivers, so was interested to learn that "slob" trout are not just confined to British Isles west coasts, despite the differences in river gradients and profiles between east-flowing and west-flowing.

Trout - a very adaptable, prolific, wide-spread and interesting species.

Re , sent them for the Tweed biologists to read

they told me the fish spent most of the year in the lower reaches

of the Tweed , Possibly even slightly salted water

But every year it came upstream maybe 40 miles or so to breed

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes and on Salmon rivers, particularly the Scottish ones 'Brownies' have long been considered as vermin. That said a fish of that size generally isen't good eating. I haven't had one that big this year (we pick 'em up in the lake when trolling for pike.) a 2lber is a decent table fish above that they go back.
I never took scales with me in my trout days but I used to keep fish between about 9"-14" long (8"" was minimum on the permit), anything else went back in the water.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Ducking the main question Sporty, the pellet question is something you have grasped on as a perceived weakness, however the use of such products has been refined and does not present a problem to either the environment or fish stocks. You see the majority of anglers that fish for such species are fanatical about welfare of the rivers and the fish, yes even the use of aids such as mats, so why would that be a problem for you?

We have come a long way from a selfish attitude that was prevalent some years ago, and have woken up to the fact that killing our fish and rivers is counter productive, I talk to bait manufacturers and field test their products, believe me there is a passion to provide a good and safe product.

So instead of lauding the negatives of the past why don't you look into the current scene and get back to me. I appreciate you are not in the best position to do so in France, and it is difficult for you to keep in touch with the modern trends :rolleyes: but feel free to ask, it is not a weakness you know.

Right back to the main question you dodged..

Have you ever caught a Barbel?

I don't dodge questions but do sometimes ignore them if they are not relevant to the discussion, or particularly stupid.

Yes, I have fishd for and caught barbel. In fact I caught my first barbel at the age of 16 in 1964 on the Hampshire Avon. My father and uncle took me barbel fishing every year until I got a bit older and discovered girls

Bait was a lobworm (pre-pellets and boilies) and of course barbel were proper wild fish in those days and not widely (some would say over) stocked, as they are now. It was also before they became trendy ;)

Later in life I moved to Scotland (no barbel) and so my fishing revolved around trout and salmon on rivers like the Tweed, Tay, Spey and Dee as well as the North and South Esk.

Since I got back into coarse fishing opportunities to fish for barbel were thin on the ground although I did catch several on the River Lot in France last year.

Now that I have answered your question in some detail might I ask what it has to do with the discussion about killing a trout on the Tweed or why it makes a difference to "fish welfare" or "modern angling"

Teme man (or rabbit or whatever you are calling yourself at the moment) you are a fraud. You know and understand much less than you think you do but you don't let that prevent you from pontificating and telling anyone who will listen what they are doing wrong.

You are best ignored.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Not blagging at all, in fact if anyone is blagging it is you, after all it is you that has to search the net for snippets to support your ignorance of Barbel and how they are fished for.

So until you can show me that you actually have some personal knowledge on the subject, and not merely quoting others I am unable to see how you can lecture me on the subject.

Stick with what you know ...

Why are Barbel even an issue? why do you go on about them? The thread isn't about them. You popped in with a comment years ago, in a pike thread and said words to the effect that 'I' couldn't catch a barbel'

You keep demanding to know who has caught the fish as if doing do is some benchmark of wisdom, there are thousands of species of fish that we havn;t caught.

Have you caught a north country salmon river brown trout? 'cos thats what this thread is about and you have an awful lot to say for yourself about it.

As for (re)search, all one had to do was type in 'barbel recaptures' to turn up the stuff that I did to show that despite what you tell s about yourself and how good you are, how 'in touch' you claim to be, that in fact the people who do a bit and know about barbel hold wholly different views to you. You reccomend that I 'stick to what I know' is that what you do? with your barbel this and barbel that?

Kepp it real and keep it legal,

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Very interesting - if you google "Slob trout" and/or "Bull trout" you can read a bit about these "near seatrout" I have come across them in Argyll, in Ireland and in the Hebrides, where they drop down to the "sea pool" or even into a sea loch for part of the year.

Many trout populations show this trend - ie a proportion of them become seatrout, a proportion become "slob" trout, a proportion stay in big lochs and become "ferox" and the rest just stay as bog-standard brown trout.

Apart from a couple of sessions on the Spey, I have little personal experience of east or north-east-flowing Scottish rivers, so was interested to learn that "slob" trout are not just confined to British Isles west coasts, despite the differences in river gradients and profiles between east-flowing and west-flowing.

Trout - a very adaptable, prolific, wide-spread and interesting species.

That is an interesting post (relevent and not a barbel in sight). It may fit in to a discussion (which lasted alll that year) over a good trout of almost 5lbs I caught in a river in the early 90s. The river is a small one, not very famous, which runs into a larger salmon and sea trout river which is a little better known, and runs out of the lake district and into the Irish sea (Solway firth). I had noted sea trout in the daytime (love my polaroids) at the head of a pool sitting in a dub, half a dozen fish around 2 lbs each. I decided to have a go at them that night.

The river was running very low (it's a spate river) and approaching the pool required a bit of hands and knees work to avoid breaking the skyline. I counted upon the fish falling back into the deeper water (stil only around 4 ft) in the dark and there would only be a few casts berore, either a fish took or the pool would be spooked. After a bit of false casting I landed my deer hait sedge imitation, only slightly upsream and after only a second a mighty splash indicated a take, and one who has sea trout fished in the velvety darkenss knows what a heart stopping moment this is, even when we know what might happen (I equate it to surface lure piking). Off upstream shot the fish which I realised was not on of the 2 lbers, in fact I thought that I had hooked a grilse. Once in the net I gazed down at what I thought was a big Brownie, it looked like one, buttery yellow flanks, a wide mouth, significantly toothed tounge, nothing like the sea trout I was used to and not a salmon either. It's flesh was creamy in colour like a brownie, and not at all like the fantastic tasting pink of a sea trout. There was a quite a bit of debate around that fish, I maintained that it was simply a big Brownie (the average for the river is around 12oz) an experienced fisher and river keeper said it was a sea trout and they sometimes look like that, it definetely wasn't a kelt and was a cock fish. I imagine now that it may have beenone of those slob/bull trout 'near sea trout' you describe. I had of course being a lake fisher had ferox had I caught it way down deep in a lake then I would have assigned it as one of those, but not from a river only a few yards wide and several miles from any lake.

I shall try and find a photograph of it and post it here.

PS I didn't catch a single barbel that night!

Edited by Emma two

Edited by Emma two

my opinion of me as an angler is one of a reasonable all rounder, but certainly not one that could be classed a even good, just perhaps competent.

Perhaps taking a bit of time to learn a little of your environment and the animals that you attempt to catch would make you a better angler.

Oh by the way Cannibal, nice fish :thumbs:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

To put the record straight as I have tried to with Sportsman, I will attempt with you also. I have never tried to give the impression as to how good I am at all, in fact my opinion of me as an angler is one of a reasonable all rounder, but certainly not one that could be classed a even good, just perhaps competent.

As I recall you drifted off into the personal comments mode 'If I knew it was you'' and so on, and all this Rabbit stuff!! what's all that about?

I don't only fish for Barbel I have a wider interest in other species, the fact that some on here seem to enjoy a pop at those who do fish for Barbel, and also the fact that fish welfare is of high priority to them. You then join in with your usual accounts of how you support the killing of fish for the table and your rights to do so, as was in this case, the fact the trout was taken and killed will polarise anglers views, that is all, you will have to accept that as I will, and live with it without, the need to insult. and diminish others for not agreeing.

If you don't wish to promote the notion of how good you are, then you are doing a poor job of it. For you do come over as the essential 'clever Dick', For one who apparently enjoys debate (which is fair enough in itself), your not even especially good at it. Your claim and assumptions could be discredited by anyone with an inquiring disposition, let alone other anglers.

What was meant by my 'if I had known it was you' was that I, like most of the others here would have simply ignored you.

and all this Rabbit stuff!! what's all that about?

Yes? what is it about? who brought rabbits into it? or is that a new word for paranoid.