Anglers come to rescue of badly injured swan

Elton

So they contacted the RSPB and finally the Environment Agency who both refused to help out.

Article here:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/spor..._swan_1_4054665

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

When I was about 13 a group of Travellers discarded a massive quantity of old line and hooks near a Swans nest.

As a result 4 of the Signets became entangled and panicking swam into the river. The RSPCA said they could not come until later, which would have proved fatal for the Signets.

So 6 Anglers, including myself, using a " commandered " Dingy and swimming captured the Signets one by one.

2 of the people constantly battling to keep the parents at bay with an oar...not one was struck.

Once we got to the river bank it took over an hour to remove the line and hooks.

All but one signet survived as it had become so entangled it had torn its throat with a large hook.

Anglers care.

I'm sorry but the RSPB and the EA were right. It's not right to meddle with nature.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

Before I become argumentative about your statement. Amongst the 52,240,316 population of England in 2011 please define "not right".

Do you mean it is "not right" to have empathy for this particularly stupid swan. Or, in general don't you believe empathy functions to strengthen self-structure in the human condition. C&R is empathic (or lazy) isn't it?

I say, save the whales (and the stupidest of the swans). Eat guppies.

Phone

Cory,

Before I become argumentative about your statement. Amongst the 52,240,316 population of England in 2011 please define "not right".

Do you mean it is "not right" to have empathy for this particularly stupid swan. Or, in general don't you believe empathy functions to strengthen self-structure in the human condition. C&R is empathic (or lazy) isn't it?

I say, save the whales (and the stupidest of the swans). Eat guppies.

Phone

No it does not mean that I don't have any empathy for the creature. I like all animals, especially birds. Had the swan's distress been caused by human activity my opinion would differ, but this bird was duffed up by another bird. That's nature and I think that man should not intervene in situations like this, we should just let natural selection take it's course.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

I need to take you to the rooster fights. Or maybe dog fights. In both nature sees to it ONE dies.

Phone

No, no that's not nature. Not many animals actually fight to the death in nature. I am extremely intolerant to cruelty or neglect to animals. Cruelty to animals for entertainment should be punishable by defenestration.

Many years ago, there were letters in the local Stamford Mercury, complaining about the aggressive behaviour of the drakes on the Welland at Stamford Meadows, which were aggressively raping the female ducks while holding their heads under the water. They demanded that something should be done to protect them, so I felt obliged to write in and led my support.

" SIR - I thoroughly sympathise with last weeks correspondent's distress at witnessing the barbaric behaviour of the drakes on Stamford Meadows.

Although this is clearly criminal behaviour, the police say their hands are tied, as potential witnesses feel too intimidated to come forward.

On the one occasion that an attempt was made to prosecute, the case was eventually dropped when the victim failed to pick out any of the accused in an identity parade.

An attempt was made to proceed with the lesser charge of lewd behaviour in a public place, but the Crown Prosecution Service decided that it wasn't in the public interest to continue, so that all charges were eventually dropped.

Personally, I blame it on their exposure to rap music and demand that all radios and such-like, should be banned from The Meadows with immediate effect."

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.