National Angling & Fisheries Organisations to Speak with One Voice

Elton

Quote from Paul Boote: 'Agree with you about the need for angling's representatives to become more professional. though. Sometimes, however (not the case, I am certain, with the new FACT crew), there can be a very fine distinction between 'professional' and 'bought' or 'craven'...'

Reading that, I have no problem with the words used. There is a need for professionalism within angling repesentation, and the warnings about the differences between professionalism and dilettantism are fairly made as a general warning.

That is a valid and general observation. And for making a sound comment Paul was subjected to personal abuse. Nice.

FACT, assuming the various factions within the sport are able to reach concensus, will be a brilliant step in moving angling forward as a sport. It just needs to select its officers carefully.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the evidence of this thread it seems as if a single voice for angling won't work.

it also seems to me as if too many people are vying for the right to be right and be the ones to represent anglers - something which is prevalent among gamefishers more ( i base that on the fact that BASS,NFSA & SACN all seem to get on fine).

perhaps a coalition of interest groups would be better ? anyone any idea how the US anglers deal directly with the US Govt. ?

The comments about Charles Jardine also made me chuckle - whilst i admire his writing, i am a little uncomfortable with the 260,000 hunts supporters aligning themselves with the 3 million anglers through the CA.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

I dont know enough aboutthis new body but hopefully it is focussed on a small number of aims such as the defence of angling from Antis. If it has a narrow agenda focussed on the big issue/isseus then hopefully it will be easier to pull in the same direction.

I hope this is the case and wish them luck because we reaaly do need this to work.

Are all the people who post on here (with a full personal identity name) the people they say they are?

I am, but you only have my word for that!

So who is Matt black, The Mole, Paul Boote, Tetley Bitter Man, Midland Angler ?

The key to the puzzle and understanding of the comments made is to unmask the pseudonym of the wright person!

phil h.

guernseybass, FACT is just what you say is needed. A coalition of groups, hopefully trying to work together.

It will be concentrating on some of the major issues, like defence against the Antis, just like you want 'worm. Again, the major issues will be tackled in a unified way.

Minor issues, which affect one branch of angling, but not others (do fly fishers want match anglers making decisions over their National Squad, and vice-versa?), will be dealt with by the relavent organisations.

We are all anglers, we should all try and support it and each other, rather than try and score points, over petty things.

Dunk (REAL name, Duncan V. Fairley. Age, address and inside leg measurement provided if required.)

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

i have noticed a few comments on here about how the people at the top are completely self serving.

well i am involved in a few commitees etc, and i will fully admit that its from a selfish point of view. that being that being that on any given day, both now and in the future, i would like to be able to pick up my rods and go fishing, be it river or lake, with the method that i want to use, with no litter and with clean healthy rivers and lakes.

selfish?

yep guilty as charged.

one final comment on why the comittees seem to be the same people time and time again. well inmy experience it boils down to there being certain groups of people, and thats in all sports, not just fishing.

theres:

those that will

those that wont

those that arent bothered

and those that sit and snipe and think that they can do better, but when pushed, become those that wont.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

phil hackett:

Are all the people who post on here (with a full personal identity name) the people they say they are?

Its not an honest world out there Steve. Was a time when one angler could trust another.

It the case of political ramblings I suggest that those who pose under a misleading, assumed, name, are being particularly dishonest. I would question their agenda, and their morals.

Those leading have the will to make FACT a success and work , but as everything in life it comes down to money. I can remember the row when the NFA wanted to increase subscriptions by I think 5/-(25P)

In the end 'angling' gets what it deserves.

Will the real "Mathew Black" please stand up.

I cant speak for the original bearer of the name, but I would think he would want to distance himself from the rantings of the current user.

No other inference meant by 'user' by the way.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Mark

I think that you have touched onsomething If you are not prepared to take part in the organisation of our sport then , whilst there is no problem in comenting on what goes on, you have no right to critisise those that do get up and do something.

I am not sure I like a lot of what goes on in the NFA but as I haven't(yet) got involved I certainly would not critisise those that have got off their backsides and had a go.