Okuma Avensis Centrepin

Dick Dastardly

With a 13 footer you get good pickup, I have used a Shakespeare Quo Gold with my Purist centrepin for a long time now, its a very light rod that can be held for long periods in the hand and never lets me down.

Dead cheap as well.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

Hi Jeff, its all down to where you fish and want you want to catch. The John Wilson Avon is a pretty good rod that covers a multitude of disciplines. However, if you do want a 10 ft roach rod then have a look at the ABU Red Wolf range. Cheaper than chips and remarkably good.

Thanks Peter, I've found a decent 10 foot float rod and think that it should do alright after grayling and the occasional trout. Is it preference do you think? I didn't even know they made rods longer than 9.5 foot until I came to the UK. Imagine my reaction when I heard of the 3m poles! Has anyone tried flourocarbon line with a centrepin? What are the benefits of having a longer rod over shorter ones?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

3m poles, you ain't seen nothing yet then Jeff!! 11m is pretty standard stuff.

The advantages of a longer rod,leverage and line pick-up on the strike, ability to get the rod tip nearer the float, ability to mend line, greater ability to control both tackle and the fish, ability to fish deeper water without using a slider, ability to lift tackle over banks etc, and I'm sure there are others. As one who uses lure rods between 4'6" and 10', but more commonly 7'6" I appreciate your question!

Never seen any advantage of using flurocarbon as a mainline.In fact I would have thought its stiffness a negative factor.I would reccomend trying a braided mainline though.Lasts longer due to not being so badly affected by UV light as mono,floats which makes pick up and trotting a lot easier and the lack of stretch makes setting a hook on a long trot easy.I would reccomend 10lb Spiderwire as it has roughly the same diameter as a 2lb mono.

Ive been interested in any reccomendations for an 11'float rod as I fish a series of matchs on a pool which has many overhanging trees.Any others you people have tried?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Never seen any advantage of using flurocarbon as a mainline.In fact I would have thought its stiffness a negative factor.I would reccomend trying a braided mainline though.Lasts longer due to not being so badly affected by UV light as mono,floats which makes pick up and trotting a lot easier and the lack of stretch makes setting a hook on a long trot easy.I would reccomend 10lb Spiderwire as it has roughly the same diameter as a 2lb mono.

Hi Budgie, I understand the concept behind using braid, but what about high visibility in clear water? I've used both mono and spiderwire. I haven't tried to knot them together. But I think it would affect presentation if you used swivels, not that the fish have been under any pressure in the past 10 years, I'm only curious.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Jeff,I have used flurocarbon for several years as a leader for fly fishing where its stiffness and sinking properties are a bonus,however after having tried looking at both flurocarbon and mono in water I cant say that I thought there was much difference in visibility.

When I use braid I still have a length of mono which the rig is built on and the hook length is mono.

Mono and braid are easily joined using a Double Grinner knot.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

When I use braid I still have a length of mono which the rig is built on and the hook length is mono.

Mono and braid are easily joined using a Double Grinner knot.

Exactly what I was wondering! Thanks Budgie.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...