Watch out for simple Identity Theft

Lid

I got a call yesterday from my credit card company. It seems this is happening all the time, but someone has got hold of my credit card number along with all the necessary personal details such as PIN, 3 digit security code, other private password, dob, address and phone numbers etc. I was a amazed because I shred all my personal paperwork, but the chap said they just hack all the stuff off straight off the Internet.

So armed with this, they had made a small trial transaction without a card (55p) and then called my card provider impersonating me and saying I had changed address. They also ordered a new card for the new address. The new card was even dispatched to the false address, but the fraud routines picked it up and now all has been cancelled.

The worrying thing is that the this appears to be very easy for those in the know. My credit card provider (RBS) are completely happy to accept I have done nothing wrong and that the criminals obtain everything they need from the Internet!

As a precaution I recommend everybody to change your PIN numbers every few months!

Watch out!

Edited by Lid

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did a post about card details being retained on servers a little while ago ,seems its perfectly legal :angry:

remember your pin number is different to your security number ,your pin is entered by you personally your security number by anyone who knows it ,changing your pin wont stop remote use :( if they have your pin then the crooks were far closer than you amagined.

historically certain ethnic types seem to be the main card cloners and garages seem to be the main place the cards are swiped ,restaurants second,i never use my card in them only cash not that i frequent the latter.

i never use my card if at all humanly possible i still use old fashioned cash

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well I assumed they had my PIN in order to make the small online transaction of 50 odd pence? I think the chap told me this was the case!

Well I assumed they had my PIN in order to make the small online transaction of 50 odd pence? I think the chap told me this was the case!
Only you know the pin number, even your bank do not know what your pin number is. No legitimate site will ask you for your pin.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

CLARIFICATION

OK I must have got confused about how we buy on the net. However I called my card provider and they said the crims do have my PIN, because they requested it was sent to them at the address that they changed my account to!

CLARIFICATION

OK I must have got confused about how we buy on the net. However I called my card provider and they said the crims do have my PIN, because they requested it was sent to them at the address that they changed my account to!

Lid

IF they have your pin, you must have told someone your PIN. Nobody else but you knows your pin and your banks computer system.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

DOH!

perhaps you should ask your bank for compensation? the card comes with a standard pin (i cant remember that far back) written on a seperate letter and this allows you to "log" in then change it ,but i thought this was only when you got your first card not a replacement one???

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

DOH!

perhaps you should ask your bank for compensation? the card comes with a standard pin (i cant remember that far back) written on a seperate letter and this allows you to "log" in then change it ,but i thought this was only when you got your first card not a replacement one???

Correct, but you do not normall HAVE to change the PIN that came from the bank (I am still using my first PIN). Replacement cards for expired cards will have the same pin as the expired card. Replacements for lost or stolen cards normally have a new pin.

so the banks even more guilty of neglect :rolleyes:

so the banks even more guilty of neglect :rolleyes:
Why?