Anglers anger at RSPCA claims that swan was poisoned by lead fishing weights

Elton

ANGLERS have hit back at claims that a swan was poisoned by lead fishing weights.

GRRRRRRR! Take a deep breath, exhale and calm down.....

Full article here:

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conw...55243-29954267/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's the gift that just keeps giving, isn't it? <_>

One day, the RSPCA will wake up and realise that most anglers actually appreciate wildlife, more than most people who sit on their backsides indoors all day. And, when they do, they'll also realise that there are millions of potential new members out there who, as things stand, would rather set fire to their money than give it to their organisation.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

“In 2010, of 326 swans tested for lead levels at Stapeley Grange, 59% were above the recommended level.

Maybe the RSPCA should look into the environment at Stapely grange?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Exactly Den - since it isn't coming from us, perhaps they ought to investigate where it is coming from? Perhaps they could also tell us what proportion of animals which don't eat dropped lead shot also have elevated lead levels?

Edited by Steve Walker

And how many dust shot would actually be required to record that level of increase.

As some of you may know, my Dad runs a wildlife rescue centre, so I've had a bit of contact with the RSPCA over the years.

The RSPCA at ground level are great. Very helpful and committed to doing their best for all the animals and birds they come into contact with. The problem starts with the office bunnies who don't know a fox from a badger and (nearly) everyone above them has almost complete disregard for (wild) animals.

IMO, save your donations to the RSPCA and give the money to your local wildlife rescue centres if you want to support wildlife.

They do do a pretty good job with pet animals however. Suprisingly that's where the most money is... funny that...

Tbh, I'm suprised the RSPCA give a sh!t about Swans. I guess they are the Queens pets though.

I feel better now.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Enough is enough, I have always given generously to save various wildlife. Now they will never get another penny from me for any wildlife anywhere in the world, I will not support people who look for an easy law abiding group to blame. They can all go bust now for all I care. Maybe I will even take up poaching as a hobby.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Totally bizarre that they are aloud to make these claims... Where is our angling trust stepping in and saying enough is enough?!

A couple of times I have had shot from shotguns fall into the water near me when they had pheasant shoots in the fields on the estate where I was fishing and although I don't shoot I should imaging theres quite a few lead shot in some of those shotgun cartridges. Or is it also banned in shotgun cartridges nowerdays?

I also fish a stream fed lake which has drains leaking into it from the M25 motorway which I am sure will be emptying lead desposits into the lake. Plus all the other roads which have drains into other rivers and lakes around the country.

And what about the fuel used by boats etc on rivers, surely some of them use fuel with traces of lead in it don't they?. Or do they only use lead-free fuel?

Anyway I think it's dreadful that some ignorant people are still blaming anglers; who are some of the most caring people re- environmental matters and wildlife.

NB. I have always thought that any lead in the riverbed or lake bed that had accumulated over many years would still be releasing lead into the water for many years after lead was finally stopped from being sold in tackleshops. Does anyone really know how long it takes for lead to breakdown completely in water?

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)