Where would you emigrate to for weather/fishing?

fruitloopy

The only way I can answer that is to list the countries I have actually fished in (and caught!) and rate them by stars on a scale of 1 to 5.

Remember that as an allrounder I rate some sea species very highly which weights my choice in many cases - eg Belize for bonefish, tarpon and permit; Mexico for Marlin etc.

EUROPE

England incl Channel Isles***

Wales**

Ireland**

Scotland***

Iceland**

Sweden**

Roumania*

Spain**

Spain (Canaries)*

Portugal*

Portugal(Madeira)**

N AMERICA

Canada***

USA***

USA(Hawaii)**

Mexico **

CENTRAL & S AMERICA

Costa Rica***

Belize****

Brazil ****

Ecuador**

AFRICA

Zimbabwe **

South Africa**

Kenya**

Mauritius**

Seychelles**

ASIA

Israel*

Thailand*

India**

Andamans**

AUSTRALASIA

North Territory****

West Australia ****

Queensland *****

NSW***

Victoria***

S Australia **

Tasmania***

New Zealand***

Subantarctic Islands*

South/Central America and Australia are the only places IMHO that are significantly better than the UK for both variety and quality of fishing. Bobj is right on the money living near Mackay, Queensland, which is my top choice - and of course other Australian states are only a few days drive away :rolleyes:

The ideal is a motorhome in Australia and move with the seasons....

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive not fished as many countries as Dave (but then Im still half his age!) :P But Ive managed quite a spread.

But honestl it would have to be somewhere in Northern Europe for me as a lot of what keeps my interest is the seasons and the changing conditions,target species and methods.Get what Im trying to say? eg even though I love tropical saltwater fly fishing after a few weeks on the flats in that heat I would be really missing going piking on a crisp cold winters day! And as March comes closer sat on a freezing reservoir I cant wait till the pike rods go away and I can get down to the Ebro and do some serious sweating!

Variety its the spice of life!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The only way I can answer that is to list the countries I have actually fished in (and caught!) and rate them by stars on a scale of 1 to 5.

Remember that as an allrounder I rate some sea species very highly which weights my choice in many cases - eg Belize for bonefish, tarpon and permit; Mexico for Marlin etc.

EUROPE

England incl Channel Isles***

Wales**

Ireland**

Scotland***

Iceland**

Sweden**

Roumania*

Spain**

Spain (Canaries)*

Portugal*

Portugal(Madeira)**

N AMERICA

Canada***

USA***

USA(Hawaii)**

Mexico **

CENTRAL & S AMERICA

Costa Rica***

Belize****

Brazil ****

Ecuador**

AFRICA

Zimbabwe **

South Africa**

Kenya**

Mauritius**

Seychelles**

ASIA

Israel*

Thailand*

India**

Andamans**

AUSTRALASIA

North Territory****

West Australia ****

Queensland *****

NSW***

Victoria***

S Australia **

Tasmania***

New Zealand***

Subantarctic Islands*

South/Central America and Australia are the only places IMHO that are significantly better than the UK for both variety and quality of fishing. Bobj is right on the money living near Mackay, Queensland, which is my top choice - and of course other Australian states are only a few days drive away :rolleyes:

G'day mate, good to see you putting Australia in the 4 star category :thumbs: I would suggest that you try a charter, or two in the NT in late March, for the 'Run-Off barra, or July for the variety of species off shore.

Amazing how the 'motorhome syndrome' is taking over. The 'grey nomads' are certainly making inroads (funny punny) <_< on the fishing/tourist thingy.On our way up to the Darwin, we came across, maybe 7, or 8 motorhomes. On the way back some 9 days later, we came across a convoy of 13 motorhomes/caravans, a break of half an hour and another convoy of 14 'vans/motorhomes. Almost every vehicle rest area was filled with the buggers!!

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate, good to see you putting Australia in the 4 star category :thumbs:

G'day Bob.

...and if you look closely, you will see Queensland has FIVE stars!

That's down to the superb all-round sea fishing, including Indopacific tarpon and big game, plus the barramundi and saratoga in the rivers of the top end.

...as for the mobiles, my mate Pete says when he comes to power, only anglers will be allowed on the road. :lol:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If I could emigrate to anywhere in the world, absolutely anywhere, I'd do lots of research, weigh up my options, think very carefully, and then ask Steve if I could move into the clubhouse at Wingham :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Canada - BC!

Already done it, live here now (3 years) and wouldn't move back to the UK for love nor money - and there's plenty of love left behind with friends and family (that's the hard part!)

Amazing Carp fishing in virgin waters - because no one else out here fishes for them (well very few), great Perch fishing also - but again you won't see it on the web.

The Trout and Salmon fishing you will find on the web, that's not bad either (no it's very good!) and at price around the same as a UK anual licence. No day tickets out here! All waters are PUBLIC domain!

Down side is you have to drive a lot as it's a big place, but with petrol half the price of the UK I can still afford to do so.

cheers,

Paul.

Canada, USA, Europe, Asia, Australia........is there anywhere you can get away from carp?????

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Canada, USA, Europe, Asia, Australia........is there anywhere you can get away from carp?????

John.

I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave a few moments ago :):P

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music