Why don't we get more big trout in coarse waters?

lutra

RUBBISH! Ferrox yes but no shortage of "big trout" Any time you want to see some BIG trout just come on down and I will show you some alive in the water mate! Far BIGGER trout than any you have up North I will bet.

What sort of size do you mean

i am talking about truly wild river trout

such as in the river TWEED

Brown trout only

I have seen Brown trout over 10lb caught in scottish rivers

These are true monsters of the breed

if you have better Wild Brown trout than that down south

you are indeed very lucky :)

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown trout only

oh dear a 'mine is much bigger than yours contest'.

Be under no illusion, Scotland is not the only part of these isles to have big trout.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

oh dear a 'mine is much bigger than yours contest'.

Be under no illusion, Scotland is not the only part of these isles to have big trout.

Not at all i just like facts

Anyhow your nearly in scotland

we share the same news channel on itv

LOOKAROUND

So your nearly a scot

Once we reclaim Berwick back

We may come looking for you next

then you can become the most southerly part of scotland lol :lol:

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Och aye, 'jings' an michty me, whit bonny'..an help ma'boab tha size o' yon troot with a fish! there's fower fish suppers there. :);)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Once again Brian I say its simply that the big COARSE waters (down here in the South at least) dont have wild browns in them! So no wild browns = no ferrox whatever the water conditions!

Not being a southern i will take your word on that Budgie, but i know lots of other parts of the UK that have coarse waters feed by streams with trout in them. Ive even heard of an odd trout coming out of the Fens, do none of them get big by feeding on the coarse fish?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I really think we have to be carefull and not confuse "Ferrox" with "Big Browns" when we discuss this subject though. Massive difference in the reasons why they are what they are and how they have become what they are when talking "Ferrox" ," Big Natural Trout", "Big Naturalised Trout" and "Big Reared Trout". Also they all look very different.

And Ive not included "Sea Trout", "Slob/Sonaghan/Bull Trout" etc etc!

In my mind Budgie, a ferox comes from a deep glacial lake and lives off eating other fish, mainly char. A big Brownie from any other kind of water, be it a fish eater or not and i think most Browns (big or small) will and do eat other fish, is just that, "a big brown". Or am i wrong to think that?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Brown trout only

I am talking fish up to 17lb but no these are obviously not truly wild river trout.They are however not all stew pond reared fat globs of tailless fish either! As I mentioned earlier the browns in several of our reservoirs often over winter and can (unlike rainbows) do so for many years. During this time they can grow on from the pretty much standard 1 1/4lb stock size into very big fish.I said 17lb as this is the largest fish taken but I have scooped several in a landing net which have weighed a lot more as well as seen even bigger. As I said I can take anyone out and show these fish most days.

But "truly wild" I would have to say not but I believe the BRFC have three categories for browns-wild,reared and the ones I'm speaking about "naturalised" (in other words stocked but having lived for many years since stocking at a much lower weight) The guys on the Fly Forum should be able to give the exact details.

Some of the big river trout (Fish up to 8-9lb) are truly wild and others fall into the naturalised or reared categories as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In my mind Budgie, a ferox comes from a deep glacial lake and lives off eating other fish, mainly char. A big Brownie from any other kind of water, be it a fish eater or not and i think most Browns (big or small) will and do eat other fish, is just that, "a big brown". Or am i wrong to think that?

No I totally agree Brian.A Ferrox in my book feeds exclusively on other fish and starts doing so at an early age/relatively small size.

"a big brown" (same with a big rainbow) obviously (as do all sizes of trout to a degree) takes fish but not exclusively and only at quite a late stage/larger size in its life.

Of course before confusion creeps in I'm not talking about large "reared trout" that have got to massive sizes being fed on exclusively pellet.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Of course before confusion creeps in I'm not talking about large "reared trout" that have got to massive sizes being fed on exclusively pellet.

Earlier in this thread I suggested that hatchery-reared fish may lose their genetic abilty to turn "ferox" - although still attaining a large size if selectively bred and fed on pellet

This recent study seems to support that - although it was on steelhead, I would not be at all surprised if further studies show it applies to other salmonids also.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Hatcher...d-t3949344.html

Required reading for angling club committees who think "restocking" will solve their problems.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We (another NRA bailiff and I) were asked to look ata a 'salmon' which a hill farmer has caught, he thought it a 28lber was very pleased with himself and asked us to verify the weight, we were intreuged from the start, no salmon could possibly reach the beck he said he caught it in, it was a salmonoid all right, but not an atlamtic salmon, and it weighed a good bit more than his 28lbs even on the day after it;s capture and demise, The British recored might be attributed to loch AWE fish, but they (so far) ae not the biggest from out isles,

i have seen these things running and gathering to spawn, they are a breed apart, not big river brownies nor grown on stockies, and I don't think you would catch 'em, either in the few inches of water in which they spawn nor dowm at 100feet on a bit o' bread as some have suggested.

Edited by Emma two