Why don't we get more big trout in coarse waters?

lutra

More or less what I said, (I think), but I don't believe that trout 'turn' ferox they either (genetically) are or are not.

I think it's more likely that they either have the genetic capacity to do so or do not (ie all ferox have ferox genes but not all fish with ferox genes are ferox).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more likely that they either have the genetic capacity to do so or do not (ie all ferox have ferox genes but not all fish with ferox genes are ferox).

Perhaps, but I know for sure ferox breed with ferox and so potentially pass on that gene through generations. We didn't publicise the sites but when working for the (then) NRA I monitored them in the spawning becks, it was perhaps the most remarkable sight in nature I have witnessed.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Perhaps, but I know for sure ferox breed with ferox and so potentially pass on that gene through generations.

Thats a new one on me mate and very interesting at that. Any idea where I could get some more info on it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Would you go near them if you were a wee trout? :lol:

Phenotypic plasticity is one thing that trout do really well, though.

I didn't feel wholly safe going near one as an average sized human! :D

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Thats a new one on me mate and very interesting at that. Any idea where I could get some more info on it?

I could give you a few map grid references, but then would gave to kill you ;)

Seriously it is observable, you just neeed to follow the feeder streams out of lakes which hold ferox, take a powerful spotlamp and have a good excuse as to what you are there whan the bailiffs get you ! oh and it may trake 3 years, they dont breed every year. So far as I know other brown trout do?)

I shall try and find some documentation to post (at the fisk of course of getting stick for producing measurable eveidence into these pages :) )

Edited by Emma two

I've had a look around and found this pod cast from 'Ferrox85'.

It's about an hour long, and I've only listened to the first half, but found it very interesting.

http://www.fishingfilmsandfacts.co.uk/pferoxtrout.asp

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

More or less what I said, (I think), but I don't believe that trout 'turn' ferox they either (genetically) are or are not.

Yes - I was broadly agreeing with you.

I was trying to address the question of why a coarse fishery with stocked browns doesn't develop Ferox but I've lost my thread now.

Anyway, I believe that a Ferox trout would not develop Ferox tendencies were the food source not available - genes or not, A ferox offspring would not necessarily be identifiable as such. They are just brown trout - aren't they? Some of which would have the genetic potential to change, some wouldn't. If it was an advantage to then to eat fish they would. If it wasn't - they wouldn't. Just as a brownie would go to sea if it felt like it and had the genetic ability to adapt. Trout are very adapatable species. In estuaries and in some places like the orkneys where the rivers and lochs tend to be brackish, you get slob trout which go in and out of sea and freshwater as they sea fit - just to confuse everyone. They still need to spawn in freshwater though.

I think it's simply evolution - various adaptations to the different environments the trout are exposed to. It's a survival strategy to avoid ebing wiped out or eating all the food resource in one niche.

As regard shte spawning with one another - this is possible - the fish would prbably start to trigger each others responses at a similar time and depth of water that would make them all spawn simultaneously.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I've had a look around and found this pod cast from 'Ferrox85'.

It's about an hour long, and I've only listened to the first half, but found it very interesting.

http://www.fishingfilmsandfacts.co.uk/pferoxtrout.asp

John.

Very interesting - thanks for finding it !

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Yes - I was broadly agreeing with you.

I was trying to address the question of why a coarse fishery with stocked browns doesn't develop Ferox but I've lost my thread now.

Anyway, I believe that a Ferox trout would not develop Ferox tendencies were the food source not available - genes or not, A ferox offspring would not necessarily be identifiable as such. They are just brown trout - aren't they? Some of which would have the genetic potential to change, some wouldn't. If it was an advantage to then to eat fish they would. If it wasn't - they wouldn't. Just as a brownie would go to sea if it felt like it and had the genetic ability to adapt. Trout are very adapatable species. In estuaries and in some places like the orkneys where the rivers and lochs tend to be brackish, you get slob trout which go in and out of sea and freshwater as they sea fit - just to confuse everyone. They still need to spawn in freshwater though.

I think it's simply evolution - various adaptations to the different environments the trout are exposed to. It's a survival strategy to avoid ebing wiped out or eating all the food resource in one niche.

As regard shte spawning with one another - this is possible - the fish would prbably start to trigger each others responses at a similar time and depth of water that would make them all spawn simultaneously.

I think the issue of labels confuses, like it does in many areas of life. For example how do we define a 'coarse fishery'? how do we define when a trout is a ferox? is a big grown on brownie living anywhere a ferox, or just a big cannibal? Does the word ferox apply genetically to a specific sub species (nature) or can it be aplied to any big cannibal trout, who has taken to the abandonment of a browsing diet and taken up an exclusivley fish one (nurture)?

It looks as though the question is to be settled via the classification of ferox trout separately from other types.