Low water levels in the Kennet

tiddlertamer

According to the Guardian, there are low water levels in the upper stretches of the Kennet. It's so bad there's been fish kill and this is in a month where you would expect much higher water levels.

It probably affects game fishermen more than coarse fishermen in this case but I wondered if any other rivers or stretches or river had been similarly affected?

Here's the article:

Guardian

What's the situation in your local area?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

What's the situation in your local area?

Dire. I've barely fished for ages. Even a load of rain recently hasn't made any actual difference, the rivers still aren't flowing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

So where is the water management?

So who is responsible?

Is this a deliberate act to prevent anglers fishing?

I do not believe that this is a natural occurrence.

Who nicked the water?

Too much extraction?

About time anglers started some 'Government petitions' to stop this carry on.

We need to find out why and tell everyone via the media.

What is the Trust saying?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

So where is the water management?

So who is responsible?

Is this a deliberate act to prevent anglers fishing?

I do not believe that this is a natural occurrence.

Who nicked the water?

Too much extraction?

About time anglers started some 'Government petitions' to stop this carry on.

We need to find out why and tell everyone via the media.

What is the Trust saying?

It hasn't rained.

There, solved it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Too much extraction?

That's my initial thoughts but to be honest I just don't know. I guess it's a number of different factors.

Not a great deal of water in the rivers around here.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It hasn't rained.

There, solved it.

Not quite I have looked into it, have you? That is just a convenient excuse.

Unless you are suggesting we all write to all the various Church leaders and make a complaint and request that they take it up with their various Bosses.

Now that would be interesting, do we then sue every religion for failure to maintain effective control over the environment?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Kennet is usually at its lowest in late autumn/early winter as it is predominantly spring fed (especially upstream of Aldermaston). This year it is particuarly low (2cm lower than last year at Hungerford). We need rain to swell the aquifers so that the springs 'break' later in winter. However we've already had a dry autumn here (just 54% of average rainfall). December looks like being close to average ATM but the damage may already have been done. Legend has it that the river rises on New Years day from Swallowhead Springs close to Silbury Hill - not this year it won't. I'm preying for a REALLY wet winter down here else next autumn is going to be truely dire... :(

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Is it just the south having a problem with a low level of water in our rivers?

Perhaps we are just exagerating?

How are you angling northerners getting on?

Or are certain rivers being hit hard?

A lack of rain?

Abstraction?

What's really going on?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Abstraction?

That's what's hitting the Kennet - Thames Water's bloody bore hole at Axford...sends most of its water over the downs to Swindon - so it's completely lost from the system....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

That's what's hitting the Kennet - Thames Water's bloody bore hole at Axford...sends most of its water over the downs to Swindon - so it's completely lost from the system....

C.

I have been monitoring the levels from the Environment Agency website and their publications. Overall it seems August and September were wetter than average, but the dry spring and previous dry winter has meant low groundwater levels and therefore low flows and levels across the south east. Although recent rainfall has prevented a drought, a heavy and prolonged winter recharge is needed for rivers to fully recover.

The Thames is currently lower than normal levels, but the Wey, Lea, and Medway are considerably lower for the time of year, and the Kennet even lower.

The low flows are not only exposing fish and drying out the rivers, the reduced water concentrates pollutants such as road run-off, so any rain which would top up the system is more toxic. Phosphates and nitrates from land use and sewage treatment are a particular problem. The Kennet suffers from algae on the bottom in particular, as a result of the increased phosphates, and this in turn prevents aquatic plants such as water crowfoot from developing. Aquatic plants help to increase levels by filling the water as well as providing places for fish to hide and spawn. The stretch I fish is so shallow and clear you can see the bottom and walk accross in wellies where 14lb barbel used to lurk. I assume they've dropped downstream.

If it doesn't rain then there will be enough in the aquifers to maintain a chalk stream. If we suck all the water up out of the aquifer (cheap water) to clean cars, water lawns, washing machines, and all the stuff we use indirectly via manufacturing or food production, then we are all guilty. I looked up some details on line and discovered a report by OFWAT. It suggested that we have one of the highest water demands in Europe per household.

The average usage in the UK is shocking - 150 litres, per head, per day - no wonder the rivers are low, and it's only going to get worse.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."