• Not allowed to make a point without being lept on
    • Not argumentitive enough
    • makes a valid point but its ignored
  3. 3. Gone elswhere because

• Chesters1 is there (marmite)
    • Drifted away as members have
    • Stale concept which needs adjusting to be more like X
    • some other reason

I have been an avid reader for about 5 years now since started fishing again and this is the only forum I bothered to register on. I have learnt a lot of this forum don't agree with everyones views and don't post very often as I feel in almost all topics I have either no or very little experience to add.

When I asked about a centre pin the first post back was use search this I had already done and the results were old and prices of the reels irrelevant,however I also got a link to one for sale by a member which I purchased.

When someone asks which? Models prices quality availibity all change every few months so the answers relevant also change..Yes possibly hand built or 10 15 year old rods are better but you can't walk into a tackle shop and feel them and purchase them straight away.

More moderation I don't think so

Cliques? Every so often I think I've worked them out then another disagreement/debate changes my views of who are in the clique. Surely as we all post on here by non-anglers we are all a clique.

When I read the post containing "crap" anglers I read it as a typo or derogatory reference to carp anglers and not as bad anglers.

The written word on a forum does not lend itself to conveying the tone of the post so emoticons were added but I don't understand what each one means :rolleyes::P:angry::lol: (oh it tells you as you add them)

But I will keep reading and enjoying and learning about things I will probably never experience and the

"veteran" anglers have experiences to tell that nobody will have the chance to experience again.

God after 30mins replying I know why I don't post much

Dave

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On returning after a long absence, it seems as if the site has lost all of its original character and has become absolutely obliterated with product placement and obtrusive advertising. In other words, it reminds me of why I gave up buying fishing magazines.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Tangled

It's a shame that you don't feel that you have anything useful to add,

There are quite a few very experienced anglers on here who are happy to pass on their experience.

there are some who love to get into deep technical discussions about the whys and wherefores of catching fish.

Others may be seeking advice or help.

I would like to think though that most see it as entertaining. They come on here for a chat about fishing, pretty much like they would with their mates down the pub. With that in mind all input is relevant and interesting.

You don't have to be clever, experienced or particularly knowledgeable (I've got nearly 5000 posts and I am none of those things)

All you need is an enjoyment of fishing and talking about it.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Tangled

It's a shame that you don't feel that you have anything useful to add,

There are quite a few very experienced anglers on here who are happy to pass on their experience.

there are some who love to get into deep technical discussions about the whys and wherefores of catching fish.

Others may be seeking advice or help.

I would like to think though that most see it as entertaining. They come on here for a chat about fishing, pretty much like they would with their mates down the pub. With that in mind all input is relevant and interesting.

You don't have to be clever, experienced or particularly knowledgeable (I've got nearly 5000 posts and I am none of those things)

All you need is an enjoyment of fishing and talking about it.

Sportsman

From what I remember of your posts over the years you used to live and fish mainly the rivers in Scotland. I've never been that far north so can only only read learn and enjoy and recently moved to France and are now learning and experiencing a different type of fishing.

The fact that you are able to fish for carp roach etc in your own pool is probably the envy of many but people who haven't got that opportunity and have to fish a commie are derided on here I fish day ticket waters that don't have too many people on as I like the peace quiet as much as the catching but I would not fish in a picturesque quiet lake that I knew had no fish but I will fish a lake a few times even if the farmer says there's nowt in there if while fishing I see evidence to the contrary

Dave

Sportsman

From what I remember of your posts over the years you used to live and fish mainly the rivers in Scotland. I've never been that far north so can only only read learn and enjoy and recently moved to France and are now learning and experiencing a different type of fishing.

The fact that you are able to fish for carp roach etc in your own pool is probably the envy of many but people who haven't got that opportunity and have to fish a commie are derided on here I fish day ticket waters that don't have too many people on as I like the peace quiet as much as the catching but I would not fish in a picturesque quiet lake that I knew had no fish but I will fish a lake a few times even if the farmer says there's nowt in there if while fishing I see evidence to the contrary

Dave

Wrongly in my opinion <_<

I am fortunate to have my own fishing now, something I could never have had in the UK. When I got back into coarse fishing in Scotland I had to drive 80 miles each way to get to a lake that had a decent head of coarse fish and where I could learn the new techniques with a decent chance of catching something.

By all definitions it was a commie and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed fishing it, When you get to a certain age car parks and a decent toilet count for a lot ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

By all definitions it was a commie and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed fishing it, When you get to a certain age car parks and a decent toilet count for a lot ;)

I seem to spend most of my time fishing from very close to my van..........some days I sit in it watching the rods :) Toilet is not to far away.........

Done my share of walking several miles a day.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I visit less often than I used to because there has to be a limit as to how many times one answers the same question, such as 'I'm thinking of doing some piking, can I use my redundant carp rod or will my old float rod with the tip bust off do?'

Not a case of AN getting stale, 'tis me! Also I suspect that there is just far to much choice now, and many anglers are just one species types so go elsewhere.

I periodically get fed up /cant be bothered answering or even reading some threads but I suppose Pete is right! Same as the weeklies I suppose you kind of grow out of it or move on from it for lack of a better way of putting it.

I do though get the hump and now very rarely bother to reply to what I call "confirmation threads" here the angler asks a question but really doesn't want to know the answer or anyone else's view if it differs from the one they all ready have! They simply want the "confirmation" of others agreeing with them. Saying that obviously makes me sound bad but I guess some of you know what I mean!

I still rate AN as the best all round (for my needs/interests) site going though its just (as it sometimes does) going through a bad patch.

To many good guys on here who I class as friends to totally leave it though.

And I still believe it is moderated extremely well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I do though get the hump and now very rarely bother to reply to what I call "confirmation threads" here the angler asks a question but really doesn't want to know the answer or anyone else's view if it differs from the one they all ready have! They simply want the "confirmation" of others agreeing with them. Saying that obviously makes me sound bad but I guess some of you know what I mean!

I believe that, that is as close as anyone has come to hitting the nail head. Angling (like other types)society operates on concensus. There are a bunch or 'norms and values' surrounding fishing, a sort of 'we do it this way and we do that another way way. there are often mutterings of general agreement from up and down the country, (and sometimes further afield), however from time to time, and it seems to perhaps by chance happened a bit in here lately, 'that isn't how we do A, 'we fish for B at different times to you', I don't think its always important to C, and so on. The deeper the custom or habit is engraved then the greater the outraged responses when they are challenged, for there are few circumstances which are liable to do this more than challenging ontologies (how we 'know' things), which inevitably leads to some falling out as parties refuse to back down from their chosen standpoint. Anglers who fish (and live) outside the parameters may be herded into categories by the outraged who perphaps, once again feel safe in a restabished status quo, it's easier to see people as either goodies or baddies (crap) without even thinking very deeply why we attribute othes as positive and negative,

A some have pointed out this is a worthwhile forum, it will survive, although it will change from the inside from time to time like most structures made up of individual people. Harsher moderation could be a death knell, it's ok at it is.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I visit less often than I used to because there has to be a limit as to how many times one answers the same question, such as 'I'm thinking of doing some piking, can I use my redundant carp rod or will my old float rod with the tip bust off do?'

Not a case of AN getting stale, 'tis me! Also I suspect that there is just far to much choice now, and many anglers are just one species types so go elsewhere.

If I could improve one thing on AN then that would be to remove the pages of adverts that pop up within a thread, can't we have them at the end? 'B' nuisance having to scroll past that lot.

what advertisements ? i only see a couple on the top of the page :o

is chesters1so hated he's denied adverts

<_<

an improvement could be (IMHO) a dedicated part for old gear ,as you know i'm firmly stuck in the past and money or the mrs or sense denies me popping out for the latest bit of kit so i have no knowledge other than cheating by looking it up on the web to convince myself i am an expert on such things.

now a dedicated section would do several things it would get more hits for the site if it becomes more popular ,it would stop the practice of not noticing a post and replying a week later if its spotted in the throng and let the fishing section get back to fishing.

nothing like collectors corner just a section like the carp or kayak section for the old fuddy duddies to relive their youth or pass on info they may know to others finding old stuff at bootfairs etc.

the more that people post their reminisces or post a picture of an old catalogue or newspaper cutting the more thats saved for posterity ,i can only concentrate on intrepid ,mitchel and abu are pretty well covered but i'm sure a B&W ,James or a host of fast disappearing names could have threads on ,i have a catalogue B&W dont have its a shame companies cannot archive their past without their past most wouldn't exist today so they or us should preserve it

the most annoying thing i find is someone that seems to lack the ability to search here or on the web ,they then post here and others fill in the blanks and you never see the poster again

theres some mind bogglingly good websites out there

heres one that concentrates on one town

http://bbhilda.topcities.com/Folkestone/Fo...neThen_Now.html

heres a mind blasting one on kent (nothing anywhere for this area)

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/

heres one on a certain type of structure (lots of those here)

http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/sitemappage.htm

and the best mitchell one i know of

http://www.werpmolens.nl/pagina/Home.html?...b70e8a733b147cc

plenty of sites out there for the mainstream if you look but try getting info on sowerbutts or dawsons of bromley or even marco ,just the odd snippet may help someone

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I believe that, that is as close as anyone has come to hitting the nail head. Angling (like other types)society operates on concensus. There are a bunch or 'norms and values' surrounding fishing, a sort of 'we do it this way and we do that another way way. there are often mutterings of general agreement from up and down the country, (and sometimes further afield), however from time to time, and it seems to perhaps by chance happened a bit in here lately, 'that isn't how we do A, 'we fish for B at different times to you', I don't think its always impoertant to C, and so on. The deeper the custom or habit is engraved then the greater the outraged responses when they are challenged, for the are few circumstances which are liable to do this more that challenging ontologies (how we 'know' things), which inevitably leads to some falling out as parties refuse to back down from their chosen standpoint. Anglers who fish (and live) outside the parameters may be herded into categories by the outraged who perphaps, once again feel safe in a restabished status quo, it's easier to see people as either goodies or baddies (crap) without even thinking very deeply why we attribute other as positive and negative,

A some have pointed out this is a worthwhile forum, it will survive, although it will change from the inside from time to time like most structures made up of individual people. Harsher moderation could be a death knell, it's ok at it is.

:D

I couldn't have put it better myself!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music