Fishing a ''blood sport''

Guest fish slime

Guest NickInTheNorth

The point which I trying to make, and obviously failing to do, is that what one man sees as "morally wrong" is to another "morally right".

I am not advocating that we should:

still regularly invade France?

(what does this have to do with tradional sporting pursuits?)

Or keep pigs indoors?

(Does it harm the pig? what is the sport?)

Bear bait?

(This was banned in the UK last century, and I would not want to see it legalised)

Cock fight?

(As bear baiting)

Use gaffs in angling?

(Speak to SOME sea anglers and salmon anglers)

Knotted mesh?

(Harmful to the fish, and therefore a reasonable measure to take for conservation reasons)

What none of the above addresses is the fact that allowing the banning any sporting activity which is legally allowable today leads inexorably toward the banning of another tomorrow. That is what the anti brigade want to achieve. They will put time effort and money into it. They will achieve there aims.

UNLESS all people who have an interest in the BASIC PRINCIPLE of being allowed to partake in their chosen activity stand firm and argue in favour of the basic principle.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU NEED ADVOCATE ANY PARTICULAR ACTIVITY!

Rather you should be advocating the freedom to choose.

As Abraham Lincoln put it:

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves, and, under a just God, cannot long retain it.

Regards

Nick