Wingham Fish-In dates 2012

Steve Burke

I've already had an e-mail asking about the dates of the next Wingham Fish-In so that the right days could be booked off work. As many of you will be sorting out next year's annual leave now, I'm posting the dates here on the Forum. They're Sat May 19th to Monday May 21st.

Wingham Coarse Lake is a syndicate gravel pit in Kent that's normally members only. For those of you who don't display signatures here's a link to the Wingham web site: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Previous Fish-Ins have produced bream to 16-06, tench to 10-04 plus eels to 4-09 and perch to 3-14.

For the last 6 years' catch reports see

2011 http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...s-t3191252.html

2010 http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...s-t2333010.html

2009 http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...l=wingham+catch

2008 http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...l=wingham+catch

2007 http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...ort-t75031.html

2006 http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...ort-t63095.html

Peggy will be doing her optional huge BBQ each lunchtime at a cost of approx £6 per day. As always though the fishing itself is free of charge.

Anyone who's made at least 1 post on the Forum when I start taking bookings is invited, but if I'm oversubscribed priority as usual will be given to those who haven't been before.

However please note that I won't be taking bookings until the first week in May.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to whet your appetitites here's some of the latest news from the Wingham web site.

December 2011

Carp Syndicate (new lake record at 49-08)

New members often do well at Wingham, but Bob MacGregor has surpassed everyone. Not only did he have 2 twenties, 2 thirties and 2 forties in a 2 day session, but both forties were new lake records! What's more the mirror went 49-08, whilst the common wasn't far behind at 46-12 (pic below).

The 49-08 is the same fish that broke the syndicate record at 44-12 in November of the previous year, and had been caught at 40-08 in October the year before that. Let's hope it continues growing at such a high rate!

Tim Barnes, who witnessed and confirmed the weight of the 49-08 on his own scales as well, is predicting a 50lb carp very soon, especially as this fish was born at Wingham and so won't be fully grown. I wonder which syndicate will produce one first?

Bob has now had 57 carp since April, of which 26 (over 45%) have been 30lbs+.

This has included 7 over 40lbs, and each of these is a different fish. There's at least 2 more 40lb+ mirrors Bob hasn't caught, including the heavily plated one. Additionally he's not had a common with an irregular scale pattern on one side, although this needs confirmation before counting it.

So we've at least 9 different known 40s in the lake, several of which were born at Wingham so are by no means fully grown. Additionally there were several near 40s that were caught in the summer that will almost certainly be over 40lbs now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2011

Coarse Syndicate Catch Report (including a new carp record!)

What a season so far! In fact it’s easily been our best ever, and that’s despite a poor summer’s tench fishing after a very promising start indeed.

Up to now I've allowed little carp fishing on the Coarse Lake to allow the carp the chance to grow to their maximum potential. This season I let a handful of extra members join Tim Sims to try their luck with the carp. One, Malcolm Harper, has already broken the lake records for both common and mirror carp!

The common was a specimen of 42-04, and apparently a different fish to Tim’s previous record of 41lbs. The mirror at 45-08 is in fact a new record for the whole complex rather than just the Coarse Lake, and was caught not long after spawning so could now be considerably heavier. It wasn’t just individual fish that Malcolm caught either as his best catch was 5 carp in 1 day, so there may be more carp present than we first thought.

Tench and bream angler Paul Westcott also got amongst the carp and landed several whackers including another 40lber – no mean feat on light gear!

Over the last few seasons only Tim Sims has tried his hand at carp fishing the Coarse Lake, so clearly there’s enormous potential here. What’s more the biggest carp has yet to come out. I know that Tim has been besotted with it ever since we saw it!

Keeping the pressure of the carp has clearly paid off as they've been growing faster even than on the Carp Lake. However I'm now gradually going to increase the amount of carp fishing, but priority will be given to existing Carp Lake members.

Malcolm Harmer also recorded an historic catch by national standards that some of you may have seen in the press. Early in the season he caught the UK's biggest ever brace of bream in 1 day at 18-04 and 17-14. In fact it wasn’t just 2 big bream in 1 day but 3 as he added a 14-12. I know of 2 other bream this season, a 17-06 to Andrew Walker and a 14-03 to Stephen Daly.

The tench season also started with a bang as I had a beautifully-proportioned 10-04 containing more or less no spawn at all. This was followed by a guest landing a 10-02. Chris can't wait to join now! That man again, yes Malcolm Harmer, then recorded a brace of doubles (10-04 & 10-02) in a single morning!

I had high hopes of an 11lber or even a near 12 before spawning time if for instance my empty 10-04 came out again. But as usual with cool summers the tench season fizzled out, and not just at Wingham either.

These weren’t isolated feats though as during the early season multiple catches of 9lbers were common, with members often reporting several in a session. Indeed, no less than Phil Jackson, the Chairman of the Tenchfishers, rates Wingham as one of the best nines waters in the country. And our tench aren’t even fully grown yet!

Finally, the perch fishing has been the same as ever this year with lots of 3lbers being reported.

Carp Syndicate Catch Report (and another new record!)

A high proportion of the members have caught 40s from the Carp Lake this season but I'll highlight only a few.

The lake record has again been broken, this time by Phil Woodcock who banked a mirror of 45-01. Then at the start of his next trip he showed it was no fluke by landing Nelson at 42-02. In fact that’s the 4th 40lber Phil has caught in his 3 seasons at Wingham, including the coveted heavily-plated one. His target is now one of the 40lb commons.

Pete Boulton has again had 2 forties, this time a mirror of 41-00 plus a common of 41-02.

New member Bob MacGregor has gone one better with 3 forties in his first season, a common of 40-08 plus mirrors of 43-14 and 41-12. The latter he caught last November at 38-14, so this is almost certainly another new 40!

Three members of the Coarse syndicate were allowed a treat as I let them have 2 nights on the Carp Lake after eels. Budgie Burgess, Steve Campbell and Stephen Daly managed 28 eels between them. Incredibly no less than 24 of the 28 were over 3lbs with a best of 4-13 to Stephen Daly. That’s an average size the eel groups would be extremely interested in, especially given that the lake record is 5-08!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Some fine fish there :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Last year, for only the second time ever, I was oversubscribed. Those who missed out were promised first refusal this year. As everything is packed away at present pending (yet another!) house move I haven't got the records to hand, and I believe there were one or two cancellations before I offered places. So apologies if I've missed you. However from a previous topic those guaranteed a place this year are:

Babelfish

JK

Seph

Tigger

Miroku

Lyn

Liam

Those on the above list though will need to confirm they're coming when I open the books.

Next in line will be anyone who hasn't been before. However you'll have to have made a post on the Forum by the time I start taking bookings. This is normally about the first week in May.

Edited by Steve Burke

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this to the top for 2 reasons. Firstly many of you book your holidays in the first week of January before the best dates go.

Secondly, as always the Fish-In is a 3 day event ending on the Monday before the end of May Bank Holiday. One of you has queried whether the dates will change this year as the bank holiday has been moved to a week later to co-incide with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The answer is that'll be on the original dates (Saturday May 19th to Monday May 21st) as some of you have already made arrangements.

The Fish-In seems a long way off at the moment though as we'll be very busy cutting fallen trees next week. We had 8 trees down in the storm before Xmas, and the current storm and especially the one a few days ago was much worse.

At least the water level is a lot lower this year. The last few years it's been very high. I blame Newt and Jan! A few days before they came to the 2006 Fish-In the heavens opened and the water just continued rising. Several swims were flooded, especially on the Carp Lake, meaning they've had to be rebuilt. It's only this last year that the level has finally dropped down again.

We really enjoy all the work in getting Wingham in pristine shape, although it does somewhat interfere with our fishing. Some of the syndicate members have asked whether the Fish-In could be earlier, but then we might not we ready in time. A couple of years it's gone right to the wire! Additionally, the carp spawn at about then, so paying members miss a time that's not so good for carp fishing.

Don't be put off coming by the size of the water and the type of fishing though. The bailiffs and I plus the regulars will give you lots of help both before and during the event, and can lend you gear. Plus I'll allocate you a swim to fit the type of fishing you want to do.

In fact Wingham virgins have a habit of doing very well, witness Rusty (who's basically a river angler) catching a 10lb+ tench last year. In fact about half the guests catch a personal best over the weekend.

And there's always a chance of a bream to beat the British record. Wouldn't it be great if it were one of the guests at the Fish-In?

Steve, I be quite happy to come and help the bailiffs and will assist anyone or anyone who never been before with tackle, bivvy and pointing out in any swims!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/