Lure fishing in heavy weed

Guest Newt

Here is a good 1 page article on doing just that.

www.insideline.net/ez-forum/ez-foru...um.pl?read=1339

Also, any serious soft-plastic fans might want to subscribe to this free ezine. Published by a US soft-plastic tackle house (GYB [Gary Yamamoto Baits]) but has items that pertain to all soft-plastics.

http://www.insideline.net/ezine

Guest Peter Waller

Thaks Newt. Good information. I'm having exceptional results using worms for pike. Their use is greatly underestimated here in the UK. I've always used lighter coloured worms but the idea of using dark has to be worth trying. Once again, thanks for the link.

Glad you got some useful info Peter.

IMO, at this point, the two best soft-plastic lines of bait are those by GYB and the Berkley Power Baits.

There are some small shops that do excellent hand-pours but they are not generally available.

At this point, the GYB folks do not sell except in the US and Canada but they have links to many of the larger retail stores that carry their line and who will ship to the UK. Their baits are not real tough and a fish or two will tear them up. Still, not real expensive and I just think of them as I would a lobworm which I don't expect to survive a fish take.

peter,

please could you elaborate on your use of soft plastics, I'm still waiting to get hold of some berkley power baits.

jonn

John - which ones did you order and what fish will you mainly be targeting on what type water(s)?

Good list of their bait line is Here[/b] . I also strongly suggest you get some of the soft plastics from Gary Yamamoto Baits and give them a go. One of the two should catch for you.

If you haven't, you might take a look at this thread from the archives.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/Forum1/HTM...TML/002750.html

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by jonn:

peter,

please could you elaborate on your use of soft plastics, I'm still waiting to get hold of some berkley power baits.

jonn

Hi Jonn

I bought a mass of Berkley worms out of the dump basket at Brundall Angling, they advertise in Pike & Predator. At that time I knew nothig of jig heads so threaded 'em up with a baiting needle, the treble coming out at half way house, so to speak. And off I went, try anything once! Using a 7 foot Daiwa Samurai and twelve pound braid I just cast and retrived in shallow dykes around my local Broad. Jerked them along near the surface, jerked them off the bottom. Quite simply I caught! Much to my surprise & pleasure. Sometimes I put a swan shot or two at the head of the worm, most times I fish them unweighted. That said, this time of the year basking pike will probably be in the shallows and up here shallow is shallow, less than two feet of water. I have since tried the proper jig heads with their bulky and fairly thick wired hooks. Think I prefer my threaded onto a trace with a small treble technique! Whatever, it works and works well. Last winter I used them on a paternoster and jigged them along the bottom of my local river whilst slow trolling. Pike rummage through the mud for dormant eels. Thought it would work, it did, but nothing huge during the winter on worms. Play with it, see what you come up with, you might surprise yourself.

[This message has been edited by Peter Waller (edited 26 June 2001).]

Originally posted by Newt:

John - which ones did you order and what fish will you mainly be targeting on what type water(s)?

Newt, i have'nt ordered them, I'm waiting for a friend to go to the states in a few weeks.

i hope to target pike, perch and trout in a local river, with small dissused sections of canal adjoining it. the river and canal are both moderate/fast moving(since the locks were abandoned).

I would also like to try a small shallow stillwater for carp, and hopefully soon perch(waiting to be stocked). craw immitations were reccomended in a previous descussion for targeting the carp.

John - for the canals, sounds perfect for a "carolina rig". Much the same idea as Peter discussed I think with a couple modfications.

Hook - single hook rigged with the hook point just barely into the skin of the bait to make it not snag on bottom debris.

Thread a free-sliding weight on your mainline and then a bead to protect the know. Tie on a swivel and then a hooklength of 1-3 feet (trial and error here) and your bait. If you want to keep the bait on the bottom, you can add just a small amount of weight at the front of the bait. Probably not necessary though as the Berkley Power Baits are pretty heavy as is - salt content I think.

Work it with smooth, short sweeps of your rod.

One of my "go to" colors is a sort of used motor oil brown.

Note the carolina rig is for fairly open water only. Horrible in weed or with lots of cover. Should do nicely in a canal though.