Rod overhang......

Guest Chris Shaw

Guest Chris Shaw

How many people when fishing the margins have there rod/rods over the water?

You will see people fish margins where carp are known to frequent and when they setup they always have the rods overhanging the water. Why? This does/can spook the fish present or fish moving through the margins enough to stop them putting their heads down.

What about if/when you fish the margins you pull the rods back so that they do not overhang the margin water. This can be done to the extent that your line is actualy laying on the bank, then get yourself completly out of sight of the water (If you can or do your best to do this).

I have seen people fishing margins whereupon the rods are overhanging the water and they are sitting right up next the rods.

Try my little tip, it will improve your margin fishing providing the carp on your water frequent/feed in the margins that is.

Carp can also be caught on quite ordinary baits in these situations as well.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

Guest Gaffer

Good point Chris, I totally agree with you.

(Blimey, that's twice now! biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif )

I dunno about you, but I point the rods at the lead/hook-bait as well for better indication.

It puzzles me to see people using bite alarms and/or lifting indicators when fishing in the margings with the rod at 90 degs to the lead/hook-bait.

I caught 2x twenties last season when fishing close-in and with the rod at a 45 deg angle to the lead/hook-bait.

I struck when I saw the rod tip twitch and the alarm didn't even sound, all of the indication was in the rod tip!

From that moment on I have been using single bank-sticks rather than buzz-barrs/pod for all of of my fishing.

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 21 June 2001).]

Guest Bretty

Just been watching that tight lines on sky where someone emailed in about painting the underside of the top three sections of your pole white. So from underneath it's not such a siloette (sp?). Same kinda idea.

Bretty

Guest Graham E

Bretty, is it interchangeable for blue if the sky is clear.

Chris, I handed my swim over to an old boy today, gave him some flavoured meat and told him where to drop the bait in on a freeline basis, watching where the line meets the water for bites, this about 2 feet from the bank in 4 feet water. He was very grateful..then proceeded to hammer his bank stick in with a hammer...I kid you not.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Graham E:

He was very grateful..then proceeded to hammer his bank stick in with a hammer...I kid you not.

That's made my night, that one biggrin.gif

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Zaphod

Why, oh why do these muppets use mallets!!!

Perhaps they come in a kit complete with nice white tee shirts and baseball caps in bright colours and extra loud buzzers.

Or am I just being a miserable git ...again..!!

Answers on a postcard to the usual address...!!

I did not realise that I could not say tw#t on the forum..!!

Del

KIS (Keeping in Stealthy)..!! lol

[This message has been edited by Zaphod (edited 21 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Zaphod (edited 21 June 2001).]

Guest Gaffer
Originally posted by Graham E:

Chris, I handed my swim over to an old boy today, gave him some flavoured meat and told him where to drop the bait in on a freeline basis, watching where the line meets the water for bites, this about 2 feet from the bank in 4 feet water. He was very grateful..then proceeded to hammer his bank stick in with a hammer...I kid you not.

What a wally! biggrin.gif

I think evey water has it's own 'Mallet Man', doesn't it?! rolleyes.gif

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest Graham E

Funny thing was he looked like he had been an angler for a long time! He even showed me where he had two 11lb barbus last year.....the far bank.

Guest activeviii

you want to try welford!!

i'm sure they give sledge hammers away in the shop for free for poeple with 24hr tickets.

there right next to the high viz jackets and generaters.

------------------

...phil...

keep it tight.

Guest Chris Shaw

Thanks for your replies so far.

Yup, you are right mallet man has been around in all my years of carp fishing.

No excuse these days with screw in rod rests and pods is there.

Thing is these people just screw the fishing up for all around them.

A small story.

Many years ago a friend of mine used to run his own carp lake/sindycate and along one bank the path was narrow between the fence and the lake. We were down on a working party one weekend and I was digging on this narrow path, banging and slamming a shovel into the ground. The mate who owned/ran the place came along and said look behind you, I turned and in the margins there was a group of carp all just lying under the surface snouts pointing towards the bank and that was with all the bankside vibration going on. These fish were very nervous and not often caught during the season.

It was the close season so I can only assume for that reason they felt safe.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.