Boxing Day

Newt

How do you celebrate it and where in the world did it get that name?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm in a rush Newt. Catching the ferry to France in an hour or two.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/boxing-day.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

How do you celebrate it and where in the world did it get that name?

Here you go Newt :)

"The holiday's roots can be traced to Britain, where Boxing Day is also known as St. Stephen's Day. Reduced to the simplest essence, its origins are found in a long-ago practice of giving cash or durable goods to those of the lower classes. Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but beneficences to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after.

This expression came about because money was collected in alms-boxes placed in churches during the festive season. This money was then distributed during to the poor and needy after Christmas."

I learnt something new as well :rolleyes: In the UK on Boxing day there are all sorts of crazy goings on,each town/village have developed their own traditions. Here in Whitley Bay a lot of folk feel there is a need to have a swim in the sea !!!!! Bearing in mind the North Sea is about 6 Deg C at this time of year it does tend to wake you up.

In our household we have a "Curry and Conkers day" :D Will add a few pictures to this thread after the event. To the uninitiated the game of conkers is

Have a good Xmas and Boxing Day mate :)

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

So, its mainly called Boxing day because either it was traditional to give money to the lower classes in boxes or because fights were traditional or for some other reason that no one is really sure about and is celebrated these days by going to high street shops that are having sales?

Hmmmmm.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So, its mainly called Boxing day because either it was traditional to give money to the lower classes in boxes or because fights were traditional or for some other reason that no one is really sure about and is celebrated these days by going to high street shops that are having sales?

Hmmmmm.

Nothing at all to do with the pugilistic art Newt.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hmmmmm.

no its called that because parents of the vast families of the past spent the day compressing cardboard and wrapping paper to cram it in the dustbin .its a quaint old english custom ,15 of my dads brothers were chiminee sweeps you know and 12 sisters sold oranges or cockles mostly alive alive OH

families are far smaller today not because of the savage cardboard taxes today but the fact most modern houses don't have chimblies (chiminees or chimneys) and supermarket oranges and shell fish are fresher and cheaper.

my ancestors from deptford (clues in the name) wernt the greatest chiminee sweeps so branched into the night soil business and lost a packet

we celebrate it by having a great big knees up with mother brown ,sadly this bungalow doesnt have apples and pears so were short of cockney this year ,bad bad cockney year this year were down to our last 3

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I had it down as being the day hungover chavs went and belted their neighbours for having the radio on too loud.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A RATTLING GOOD BOXING DAY TRADITION

In bygone ages, farm workers went out on Boxing Day to celebrate and entertain with dancing and music around the pubs and houses, earning much-needed pennies and welcome tankards of ale. We are Dancing out tomorrow at the King George V in Brompton near Chatham it is a Long Sword Tradition, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Sword_dance

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Not bothered what it stands for TBH, used to be a boozing day with the lads, all day from opening until closing time, after the footy with the local boozer. in my younger days, LoL e5004156.gif

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”