Beware of the ..........................cows?!!

Guest STEVE POPE

Guest STEVE POPE

Hi All,

Just received a call from my good friend Chris King and felt I must share the details of the conversation with you.

Chris was fishing on the Kennet last evening and when he returned to his car to go home, he realised he had left his unhooking mat on the bank.

As he walked back to his swim a herd of cows around twenty in number made their way towards him, Chris was not particularly bothered as he had previously shooed them away while he was fishing.

However the cows had a number of calves with them and were now very agitated, Chris soon realised his way back was cut off and he was confronted by a snorting herd of angry cows.

With his back to the water, he braced himself as one put its head down and charged straight at him, I am not joking.

Chris was hit full on in the chest, sent flying backwards in the air and into the river.

When he surfaced the cows were at the waters edge and making to get in, Chris now bruised and terrified was able to half swim and wade away to eventually make his escape.

Now Chris is one of the funniest blokes you will ever meet and I have been in tears before now listening to some of his tales, but believe me this happened and there is a lesson to be learnt.

Never ever underestimate a herd of cows and be very wary if they are with calves, your very life could depend on it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DerwentBob

Coming from an old farming family I had assumed that this was common knowledge. Any animal from cows down to chickens will do anything and everything possible to defend its young. Cows can inflict fatal injuries on the unwary if they think the calves are threatened. Mind you the worst injury I've had from a mother was inflicted by a duck who didn't want her cloche cleaning while her little ones were inside. I sustained two broken fingers and a badly bruised backside. Damn good eggs though.

Guest pikelines editor

Dear walking wounded,

I was once attacked by several Terns as I passed by what must have been their nesting spots. I was carrying several stone of gear and could do nothing but walk faster.

I suffered one or two minor scratches on my napper, luckily I was wearing my old faithful PAC cap!

Another instance was with a coot on the canal, she kept attacking my feet, her nest was on the opposite bank some 20 yards away!

Best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest Elton
Originally posted by pikelines editor:

I was once attacked by several Terns

Several, you say?

Well, one good Tern deserves another!

tongue.gif

Elton

PS I'll get me coat.

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Bruno Broughton
Originally posted by Elton:

PS I'll get me coat.

We're not that gull-able, Elton - bet it was a gannetx biggrin.gif

------------------

Bruno

Guest pikelines editor

Elton,

Steady, It might be the Albatross next!

Suppose it's better to be pecked than C*****D

on! Yuk.

Best,

------------------

Best, Steve Ormrod

Guest dexter

Don't want to seem like a killjoy but what is he doing walking in a field that contains cattle anyway?

D

Guest Elton
Originally posted by dexter:

Don't want to seem like a killjoy but what is he doing walking in a field that contains cattle anyway?

D

I do it every day, through cattle and sheep. What's the problem?

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest dexter

Maybe being a little naive but something to do with MAFF guidelines??

I'm sure the person in question disinfected as appropraite.

Or maybe F&M doesn't effect Southern Cows?

D