Pike Problems

Guest Paul H

Guest Paul H

Yesterday I visited a fishery close to me called The Warren in Stanford-Le-Hope, Essex.

It was meant to be a bream and tench session, but sport was slow. So a switch to maggot brought in roach, skimmers and perch. However, every hooked fish was chased by Pike! I ended up hooking 6 and landing 4 between 4 and 7 pounds. Some might say this great fun, but using fine hooklengths, not being equipped to unhook them brought the obvious problems. Namely fish welfare, and injury to my mate who had a deep gouge in his finger. We've experienced this problem before at this venue, and had hoped it was a one off. However, it appears to be rife throughout the lake, only last week a jack took an anlgers roach, only to attacked by a large pike (estimated 25 pounds)!

On speaking to the baliff he stated that the excellent silver fish stock has led to this explosion of hungry pike and that the the controlling club (Shell Angling) had no plans to control the problem.

Surely this cannot be right? Does that mean I have to invest in pike gear, so I can have days float fishing. I have no interest in Pike, and to be honest they aren't that hard to land, a carp or tench of similar weight puts up a far better scrap.

The club also bans pike fishing in the summer months, yet I saw 11 come out yesterday, while grabbing anglers fish. Rather than not visiting the fishery, what should the club do?

Cheers

Guest Tim Kelly

How about allowing summer lure fishing? Make an asset out of it rather than a liability.

Good fishing

Tim