Fish and no Pain? True?

Guest trickydavies

Guest Bruno Broughton
Originally posted by trickydavies:

Sorry - I must know.

If you email me your postal address, I'll send you my digest of the evidence; I don't have time to spend a couple of hours typing it up here, sadly.

------------------

Bruno

Guest Keith

Leon,

that is an excellently presented set of arguments.

Rather than just go ahead and nick your words, can I have your permission to use this piece on my website?

I think it would be just the thing to engender a sensible debate on the subject among my club colleagues.

TIA

On a related tack: does anyone remember PETAs reaction to the latest piece of research pointing to fish not feeling pain?

This is where a scientist inflicted "pain causing" stimuli to fish, before and after extirpating various areas of the fishes brain (notwithstanding Leon's comments above - you could argue that this research was empirical supporting evidence) and noted no changes in the fishes response to these stimuli, before and after surgery.

Anyway - this scientist was also an angler.

PETA denounced the research as:

"an argument of convenience".

But that was all they could come up with - to suggest that because the scientist also fished, it inherently devalued the credibility of the research!

Not the most compelling counter to his contention, eh?

Oh - and apologies for the multiple edits: "more haste, less speed" it all too true!

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 23 June 2001).]

Guest Graham E

Confronted with this question, I respond as I did to the Daily Mail and printed in the Letters section.

Once when fishing the Avon I caught a salmon parr. On returning it, it swam back to the same lie between rocks. For my own personal knowledge I caught it again, and again 7 times before it swam off elesewher. The fish was visible from capture to release.

If it had felt pain, it had a good way of ignoring it.

This is a true story.

Guest trickydavies

Thank you guys. I know a lot more than I did and am happy with what seems to be the evidence.

Tricky

Guest phonebush

Since I am drunk, let me take a shot at this, very dangerous subject.

Pain defined: An unpleasant sensory or emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage.

First, lets eleminate emotional experiences, I think we’ll all agree it is just plain stupid to consider fish have emotions.

The avoidance of unpleasant sensory responses are often shown by fish in circumstances which might be expected to involve pain as defined, namely my hook. The natural fight or flight reaction reflected as the spunk the fish shows. In some fishes this does lead to one or more learned responses although I personally do not believe this response fits my defination of “pain”. Pain too me, must always involve emotion. Fish can’t sweat or cry, scientific fact. No pain, no gain.

Phonebush

Originally posted by Keith:

Oh - and apologies for the multiple edits: "more haste, less speed" it all too true!

Keith - when you need to make a second edit, just remove the first from the post. You will always have one edit listing but can avoid having more than one.