Pike Fishing

larsagi2010

Ok, I am familiar with Pike fishing in stillwaters/canals but rivers is something I am relatively new to. Even more so with my river which is a little different to most.

The area I fish has a weir. Daily the tide comes up on the lower side of the weir which stands at 3.2m but on the odd occasion it spills over the weir and into the main part with tides of up to 5.2m! As you can imagine during these times the river is immensely affected and its not uncommon to see logs the size of cars travelling at about 20+mph upstream. With this tide comes a fair bit of saltwater, from experience when the salt washes up the Carp ect: don't feed at all. Only when the colour drops out the water and the salt flows back out do they feed.

Would Pike still feed during this time? I fish the upper side of the weir, I am still unsure if the fish ''stop feeding'' or if they simply move right upstream to where the salt drops out? But one thing I know is fishing is incredibly bad after a bad tide, in the summer even the millions of fry you see vanish somewhere?

Any tips for if the fish are likely there, or move upstream or in particular if Pike would still feed would be much appreciated.

I wont actually fish the aggressive tides, but in the middle of them as no ledger is big enough to hold bottom during the turbulance.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish