HELP! PLEASE

Guest jimbobby

Guest jimbobby

The pond I am fishing contains carp, tench, rud, roach, coy carp and catfish(apparently). I am using boilies, maggots and bread with a size 12 hook . I am doing leger fishing.

Please give me some advice in what I am doing wrong?

I need advice on baits and anything else.

I have seen at least 3 carp being landed each day and only about 10 people fish there.

Apart from carp me and other people are pulling out roach and rud (5-10 per day).

Guest Keith
Originally posted by jimbobby:

The pond I am fishing contains carp, tench, rud, roach, coy carp and catfish(apparently). I am using boilies, maggots and bread with a size 12 hook . I am doing leger fishing.

Please give me some advice in what I am doing wrong?

I need advice on baits and anything else.

I have seen at least 3 carp being landed each day and only about 10 people fish there.

Apart from carp me and other people are pulling out roach and rud (5-10 per day).

well, it's a big question!

Following is just a very basic set of thoughts - other people will give you other ideas.

It sounds like a water that might respond well to a float fishing approach: something like 3lb main line, 2lb hooklength and 16 or 18 hook, and a simple shotting pattern (nearly all the shot around the hook - keep away from complex shotting patterns at the moment).

Maggots are as good a bait as any for this approach - make sure that they're fresh and clean if possible.

Now: are other people catching at distance, or close in?

Copy them! biggrin.gif

Try and find out how deep the water is (plumbing the depth if you know how, or asking nicely if you don't), and starting by fishing at about full depth.

At this time of year, you can afford to feed quite heavily (don't go mad though), but feeding maggots a little and often is an excellent way to get fish competing for feed in your swim - say 10 maggots every cast - but very minute or two, wind the float by about a foot, and feed again: twitching the bait like that often produces a bite in itself, but in any event it makes the bait rise up in the water, and it looks more natural as it drops with the loose feed.

Eventually you should start seeing a response, and it might be that you start catching enough that you can shallow up, so that the hook is closer to the surface: by keeping the feed going in like I suggest, you can get fish into a feeding frenzy - that's how people bag up in the Summer.

BUT: don't feel bad if things don't go exactly as planned. It takes a long time to learn the ropes, and we all get it wrong sometimes.

Remember, it might well be that you're doing nothing wrong at all. Sometimes the fish just aren't interested.

I keep saying this though: ask the people who are catching, what it is that they are doing that you aren't. As long as you're quiet and polite, most anglers are happy to help - just as long as you don't make a real pest of yourself!

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 24 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 24 June 2001).]