wasp grub???

Guest paul mc

Guest paul mc

hi all

I have recently been told that wasp grub is one of the best baits for big chub. Has anybody used it and can you get it without going near wasps.

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Guest phonebush

Paul,

They are wonderful bait in US for Sunfish family. We used to just knock them down, the nest that is, then pick it up in the evening or next day. Usually could sneak it away without incident. The grubs are not too tough but have a lot of yellow fish getter goop in them.

Phone

PS I'll have to ask Newt what a UK chub is.

yes a few years ago and yes you have to kill off all the wasps to dig out the nest unless you know a friendly pest controller.

The grubs are very soft so put several on a biggish hook as some will come off on the cast. I found foatfishing to be best. the cake that the grubs are in is broken up and used in the ground bait as well as any damaged grubs.

Guest MTP IN VA

Here we always waited till after dark and knocked 'em down with the jet sprayer on a garden hose. Give the bees a while to wander off then pop round to pick up the nest. Just watch out for the odd bee lucky enough to find the nest in the dark! biggrin.gif

Guest Steve Randles

If you wish to collect your own Wasp Grubs then you need a Poison called "Actelic dust", you will have to approach a pest controller for this to be able to source it.

How about approaching a Pest controller for the nests that he has already removed from someones house?...Far easier and safer...!

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

Anglers Rest

mailto:Anglersrest@go-fishing.co.ukAnglersrest@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest fisherman

Hi Paul, yes wasp grubs are a great Chub bait, used to use them a lot years ago on the local river.

Go to a shop and buy some dusting powder for killing them, make sure it is a night though when they are all in. Dust around the entrance liberally then it is transfered into the nest as they come and go the following day. The day after go and get your grubs. Take care and tight lines.

Dave

Guest fisherking

I often dig my own but have always smoked them out by using a mix of saltpetre in water then tearing newspaper and soaking and then drying it out.

This was lit and pushed into the nest entrance and then all you do is dig like there is no tomorrow before you get stung..

I have never used poison as I was not sure if the nest would be tainted.

I always start to dig towards the end of august -begining of september as the nests seem to contain more and bigger grubs then.

John.

Guest Keith Finn

With me being a plumber, i tend to see a lot of nest in the eaves of the lofts I am working in!!.

Quite scarey when you have to work up there for a few hours, as they seem to want to congregate around your lead lamp or halogen lamp.

Up to now have never been stung and have not even attempted to go anywhere near one or even try to get one out!.

Too scarey man.

Took one from a garden shed one year and used that on the River Dane.

The Lady, who's house I was working in, had said to me that she had not been into her shed for nearly two months because of a big wasps nest in there.

Went in commando fashion with a bin bag and scooped the whole lot up in one go, wasps included,and tied a knot in the top of the bag.

Went home with the booty and sat in the garden for the next 2 hrs whacking wasps , with a piece of 2" lagging, as they came out of the little hole I tore in the side of the bin bag!!.

The wife said I looked like a weirdo sitting there hitting a black bin bag with a piece of rubber

Had a cracking session for the Chub, but I was fishing the cake, grubs and all, as floaters.

Let it drift down on the current to the tree that they where hiding under and ended up with fish to 4.5lb.

But ,as I say, never hab the bottle to attempt to get another nest

Keith

Guest kelvin wood

Brilliant bait for chub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont fancy using the real thing do what i do.Rod hutchinson does a fantastic spray on flavour.Either use big chunks of meat with it or in this weasther mixers sprayed .The chub in the wye go bannanas for it. GOOD LUCK

cool.gif

------------------

carper