Going Pike Fishing Tommorow

larsagi2010

Ok so after a whole season of Carp fishing and the occasional float/maggot feeder session I have decided to head for some Pike tommorow.

My venue.... The local River Dee of course! Water is slightly up due to the rainfall but that shouldn't be a problem. Although a very experienced angler, the Pike are where my experience runs out big time.

I have done Lure fishing in the past and banked a Pike around 5lb, but the River which I have never caught a Pike from hold monsters of 20+!!! Plenty of jacks also of course.

I am going with a friend and I have ensured I have all the correct gear. If I could run through this gear could anyone please mention anything I may have overlooked.

1. Un-hooking Mat

2. Forceps

3. Trebles for my deadbaits (Barbless due to my inexperience)

4. Mackerel (Frozen)

5. Pliars (Long nosed)

6. Long wire cutters

7. Landing Net

My plan is to cast two deadbaits out on a running ledger rig close in (Margin) near some overhanging trees or other obvious feature. Both will be bite alarmed with a swinger to ensure my attention is caught as soon as a bite develops.

Line is 30lb Mono (Snaggy area) fitted on baitrunners. Trace is (I believe 20lb) so should be accurate.

I am also taking a telescopic Pike rod with some traces and lures/spinners just in-case the Pike are not climbing the lines as a back-up option.

Any recommendations as I am incredibly new to Pike fishing would be highly appreciated. I have read up about handling and care of Pike, Also I read its best to promptly reel your line until you feel the weight of the pike just before lifting into it. (Not say the lords prayer like some people suggest!) and this should result in good hookholds that are not deeply hooked.....

Anything else that may make me (Or the pike) have a better day tommorow?

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Ok so after a whole season of Carp fishing and the occasional float/maggot feeder session I have decided to head for some Pike tommorow.

My venue.... The local River Dee of course! Water is slightly up due to the rainfall but that shouldn't be a problem. Although a very experienced angler, the Pike are where my experience runs out big time.

I have done Lure fishing in the past and banked a Pike around 5lb, but the River which I have never caught a Pike from hold monsters of 20+!!! Plenty of jacks also of course.

I am going with a friend and I have ensured I have all the correct gear. If I could run through this gear could anyone please mention anything I may have overlooked.

1. Un-hooking Mat

2. Forceps

3. Trebles for my deadbaits (Barbless due to my inexperience)

4. Mackerel (Frozen)

5. Pliars (Long nosed)

6. Long wire cutters

7. Landing Net

My plan is to cast two deadbaits out on a running ledger rig close in (Margin) near some overhanging trees or other obvious feature. Both will be bite alarmed with a swinger to ensure my attention is caught as soon as a bite develops.

Line is 30lb Mono (Snaggy area) fitted on baitrunners. Trace is (I believe 20lb) so should be accurate.

I am also taking a telescopic Pike rod with some traces and lures/spinners just in-case the Pike are not climbing the lines as a back-up option.

Any recommendations as I am incredibly new to Pike fishing would be highly appreciated. I have read up about handling and care of Pike, Also I read its best to promptly reel your line until you feel the weight of the pike just before lifting into it. (Not say the lords prayer like some people suggest!) and this should result in good hookholds that are not deeply hooked.....

Anything else that may make me (Or the pike) have a better day tommorow?

Sounds like you have all the gear for it but one thing no amount of advice can prepare you for is deep hooking ....now before anyone jumps up and down it does not have to be your trace causing the problem as an example a couple of months ago whilst out on the Thames i caught a Pike that had 2 other traces in her as well as mine but the other 2 were out of sight [could just have easily been mine no matter how quick you strike sooner or later its going to happen ] anyways with Rusty pulling on the trace to bring the hooks up into view i managed to remove one lot and cut the others off at the bend which is not the most pleasant thing to have to do ,you go in throught the gill slit giving 90 degree clamp onto the bend of the hook for either cutting with side cutters or twisting out the hook with forceps whilst kneeling astride the pike whilst the fish is on it`s back .

It needs some very firm steady pressuer on the trace to disstend the throat/gut but you will eventually be able to see hooks and deal with .

Realy hope you catch and not trying to put anyone off but it may be sods law that this sceanario happens first time out ,Don`t be afraid to ask any local [to your swim] Pikers for help unhooking as most will happily oblidge and you get a free lesson ,Tight lines Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: