John Wilson Avon Rod

John 'BLOCK'

Hi just a quick post about the John Wilson avon rod.

I wondered what the highest b/s mainline people have used with this rod ?

also would like to know what size fish people have landed using it ?

Curious to know how robust it is and i am sure there are a few out there that have thoroughly field tested it

cheers

John "The Block" Westley

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased one for the river season and I have landed about 5 barbel, loads of chub and a few eels.

The biggest fish so far is a 7lb80z barbel from a weirpool. Landed on 6lb line with no problems.

This rod however is also good using 4lb line on a canal. Caught many small gudeon,roach etc no hook pulls due to any stiffness or anything. Even landed a hard fighting 3lb5oz perch :D

Only draw back for me was having to buy a seperate reel for it as it has a very strange reel seat !!

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I mainly use mine with 4lb line, I've landed carp to 15lb on the older style JW Avon (the 11 foot version), I've upgraded to the JW Avon system this year, biggest fish so far on that is a carp of around 7lb (again on 4lb line)

Mat

Mat

I've had quite a few very low double figure carp to 11lb+ on it, usually with 8lb line. Although it's rated at 3 to 6lbs line (according to the rod bag), it seems to take applying pressure to fish with the heavier line well.

I have used 8 lb line and caught 16 5-10lb carp in a few hours at Goldvalley with this rod before so it can certainly handle 8lb line without too much fuss but as others have said don't go any heavier than this.

James

As a rule of thumb you can calculate the min/max line strength for T/C of rod by multipling by 3.5 and 5.5. So for a 1.25lb TC rod you should be using line between 4.375lb BS and 6.875lb BS.....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I usually use 4 - 6 lbs b/s with mine. I've not caught anything over 7lbs with it yet, but it doesn't half bend when playing a fish, sometimes I think I'm going to end up with the rod tip in my hand!

I agree that the reels seat is a little strange. I filed down my 25 year old mitchell 300 a bit on its edges to make it fit, but it takes a new 300 fine.

One thing I dislike is how close the rings are to the blank. It makes the line tend to stick to the rod, especially when raining.

[ 02. July 2004, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Lid ]