adams mill

Guest scoobs11

To DavidP

Angling a "Cheap Sport", since when? Have you bought anything lately, or do you drive to your chosen fishing location, fishing is expensive enough thank you without other greedy outside influences.

Angling associations/clubs are the mainstay of our sport, not small individual syndicates. When those fish die, do you think that a small syndicate will continue to pay exhorbitant rent.

They will just move on to the next location on there glory trail, I hope it's where you fish.

Guest trent.barbeler

Hi All,

As an aside.

Say the KF syndicate pays say £2000 per anum for the KF stretch then I can tell you all now, given the length of river, they have got it extremely cheap.

Add to which, this is a piece of "prime" river very much saught after. Obviously to me at least, the farmer just aint in it for the money.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Lee.

Guest Peter Waller

A realistic word of warning. Every bit of river bank is owned by someone. At the moment, for example in the fens, we freely wander for miles, free to roam and, within reason, free to fish where we want. Many anglers bleat at the cost of a licence, especially the recent increase. You ain't seen nothing yet!! Agents will be touting landowners, hey mate, your river bank is worth money. Here, on the Broads, we generally fish from boats, but there are land-based anglers who could all but loose their fishing over the next few years. You have been warned. The writing is on the wall. By the success of commercial fisheries anglers have proved that they are prepared to pay. But angling numbers have dropped in recent years, quite considerably. Is that just a coincidence?

Originally posted by Wazzy:

To DavidP

Angling a "Cheap Sport", since when? Have you bought anything lately, or do you drive to your chosen fishing location, fishing is expensive enough thank you without other greedy outside influences.

Angling associations/clubs are the mainstay of our sport, not small individual syndicates. When those fish die, do you think that a small syndicate will continue to pay exhorbitant rent.

They will just move on to the next location on there glory trail, I hope it's where you fish.

Whilst as you rightly say the cost of tackle & transport have rocketed in the last 20 years, the cost of actual fishing rights has not risen by anything like the same amount. It's only in the last few years that the majority of owners have become aware that their stretch of river or small pool are actually worth more than 50 quid and a bottle of whiskey (what my club used to pay a landlord for 1 mile of Severn tributary). British Waterways were one of the first to pick up on it - remember when clubs suddenly started getting bils for thousands rather then the hundreds they were used to? I was the treasurer of a large association at that time and it was noticable how the prices started to spiral upwards.The rise of commercial fisheries and the need for farmers to diversify to keep afloat has however highlighted to other owners the potential earnings of their assets.

In many regards however anglers are their own worst enemies. My ex-club used to charge £15 for a years fishing giving around 1000 pegs on the Severn, it's tributaries, canals and lakes and all within a 10 mile radius. Most of it wasn't 'instant' fishing - you needed to do a little work learning the waters to get the best results, but excellent sport was available once you'd done the work. Yet we used to get regular and vociferous complaints that this was too expensive from people who you knew were visiting commercial fisheries at £7 a day because they were instant fisheries (several Div 1 National anglers spring to mind!). The result? Membership drops, income drops, money available for rent drops, waters are let go when the prices are raised, The owner then rents to syndicates or sells day tickets at twice what the club used to charge.

Sound familiar??

One of the problems is that there are still a hard corp of anglers who remember the good old days when fishing cost pennies and they still believe that clubs should cost that much. Yet they're quite prepared to visit commercial fisheries and pay large daily peg fees. It's a strange situation, but until this generation works through the attitude that fishing should be cheap is still going to prevail.

BTW the fact that I posted what I did doesn't actually mean that I approve of waters like Kickles Farm & Adams Mill being sold to the highest bidder. You have to be realistic though about the greed of the modern age, and I'm thinking just as much about the greed of the anglers as of the owners. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the greed of the anglers far exceeds that of the owners in most cases!

Guest Alan Stubbs

Wazzy, its a really good thing to see when someone realises the error of their ways and is man enough to admit it in public.

Nice one.

Alan

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Guest shrinktube

Lyn just a note to correct your comment on the Adams senario. I have spoken to the kickles farm lucky ones and they most certainly have NOT made an approach re the fishing rights on Adams prior to the lease expiring. If any one member has requested a copy of the tender document, is is off his own back and not in conjunction with Kickles farm. Adams mill is an open tender situation and therefore the tender documents can be obtained by any interested party.

[This message has been edited by shrinktube (edited 27 September 2001).]