adams mill

Guest scoobs11

Guest shrinktube

Paul what you suggest did not happen at Kickles. The farmer was offered big money for the stretch and did not take the option to do so.

Originally posted by Paul Williams:

Shrinktube,

You and i (Steve Pope to i would have thought!) all know that the BS aint in all probability going to get it.......the deed is already done, or at least it was untill those that approached the landowners with offers of ££££'s ( yes they where approached!!) made them realise they ( the owners) could get more.....rightly or wrongly it happened on Kickles but what do i know???....

Guest Barbus maximus
Originally posted by scoobs11:

according to the times adams mill is going for £10,000 for a 5 year lease.

they quote steve pope as saying "you can be sure that the barbel society will be putting in a bid.

we will do everything we can to stop the water falling into the hands of a small syndicate"

Do not worry there are many doing everything to stop the water falling into the hands of the Barbel Society.

Guest Graham E

Yes I am sure a well structured bid from a host of commercial orientated individuals with the same "game plan" will be better than an organisation set up with the protection of the species in mind. Not.

Barbus. Wake up!

Think. Your special water. The water you caught your first barbel, your first double....lost to you and now in the hands of glory hunters.

You like that.

Guest Paul Williams
Originally posted by shrinktube:

Paul what you suggest did not happen at Kickles. The farmer was offered big money for the stretch and did not take the option to do so.

I will always be convinced that the seed for the syndicate was put into the land owners mind.....i can't say it is wrong for anyone to doe that but the way it was handled after makes me think the syndicate did....there has been a lot of double standards and two faced talking in all this from BOTH sides!

BTW...i have a feeling i may know you, but i may be wrong, whatever i hope the talk of "big pals" is never brought into angling that is the saddest thing i have heard in this sport for a long time.

Guest Paul Williams
Originally posted by Barbus maximus:

Do not worry there are many doing everything to stop the water falling into the hands of the Barbel Society.

Would that be in a fair straight manner or devious and underhanded??? and no i aint a BS member but i'm hacked off by the attitudes that are creeping into our sport........whatever happened to a fair battle and then a hand shake and a pint mad.gif

Guest Keith Truscott

Have managed to stay out of this one so far but after re-reading some of the ludicrous posts on here the fingers got a bit too itchy.

First off some of Ray ?s comments ooops! As Graham would say, sorry that?s an assumption I should say ?shrinktube? and his constant knocking of the BS and it?s committee members, this is supposedly from a man that doesn?t agree any others viewpoints and from an outsiders point of view holds himself in such esteem that he decides to form yet another society (invitees only) from the so called cream of the Barbel world (sounds a bit like Kickles to me).

The BS as you well know shrinktube, is an organisation the same as any club, but totally dedicated to Barbel and the anglers that fish for them in general. IT is NOT a small syndicate of anglers that would deny the rights of any member ticket holder the opportunity to fish specific water. Ok yes the probably small percentage of members that want to fish AM should the society be lucky enough to acquire it would probably have to be on a rota basis or book before fishing, very similar to what the Carp Society does with some of it?s waters including I believe Redmire. Surely is this not better for angling that the water is administered properly and safeguarded against misuse to protect it as a fishery for all for the price of £15.00 membership plus whatever extra charge there will be to fish it. Paying the BS £15.00 for membership is no different to paying membership to any club plus all the extra benefits you get and if you are not in pursuit of Barbel there is no need to join it just to fish this section of the Ouse. The difference being you give people a choice and an oportunity.

The small band of anglers like Bob Church that have spent many, many hours in the pursuit of Barbus maximus over the last few years from that venue will still be able to fish it with the certainty of getting a swim, but not if one of the syndicates that have been formed get it.

Despite the impression given by some there is not always a queue formed waiting to fish the limited number of swims available, I personally only live 15minutes from AM but do not fish it, for no other reason that I am concentrating on two other areas of the Ouse but should it become clear that this water will be lost to the ordinary angler before the season is out then I will probably have a session or two there, but this is what it should be a chance for all to get that one fish of a lifetime should they want to. Steve Pope, and I do not always agree with his viewpoints. Probably more than anyone deserves to catch his lifetime best for the amount of selfless work and dedication he puts in to the furtherance of Barbel and those that pursue them and I think it is childish of you and others to deride him for it. I am quite sure that if he does get one and I believe he will be fishing the Potters Bar bank will not be broadcasting it from the heavens for egotistical reasons, I for one wish him luck in his quest. What have any of you put back in to angling that has not lined your pockets or given you free tackle, where is the pioneering in what the Kickles syndicate is doing?

It is quite evident from those that do know something that once Kickles went as it did and like Paul I do not live in cuckoo land and firmly believe that there was underhand work in this from those that profess to pioneer new waters and show others how to catch good fish that the chances were that MK were going to lose this water and perhaps others as I also hear that AM is not the only MK water under threat. I also think that the committee of MK must share some responsibility for this as once Kickles had gone then they should have done all they could to discuss with the landlords agents, the tenant farmer/s what restrictions were necessary to retain the water, instead of that we hear stories of misuse, to many anglers turning up for to few swims, specimen group members fishing swims in rotation and people being dropped off on the hard shoulder of the motorway and scrambling down the bank to save walking. Once again the majority suffer for the few!!!

Whoever does eventually obtain this water and I will be very disappointed and disgusted should it be a small syndicate then I hope that there is a chance for all to fish it at sometime, sadly I fear MK have shot there bolt because it is wrong for a club to lose it?s waters for no other reason than selfishness of a few and when this happens it puts all waters with record potential be it a 13/14 from some of the northern rivers a 15/16 from the Trent or the Thames etc. but believe me it will happen. Whatever happened to pleasure fishing and any fish is a good fish.

I have made my feelings known on here before on this subject where I advocated banning all participants from club membership but I must agree with Steve Pope on this that it doesn?t safeguard anything or anyone, it does restrict there access to waters but that?s all. I personally feel that all anglers even those that do not actively pursue Barbel should boycott any commercial venture that puts money in to this syndicates members pockets, this includes books, any publication that they write in, web sites, bait manufacture, sponsored tackle, etc. etc. the list is endless.

It is nice to see people like Paul Williams, Lee Fletcher and others who have not always agreed with the BS policy in the past standing up for the general access rather than the few hiding behind false names with childish, selfish attitudes making personal remarks and with a looking after number one attitude.

Maybe once again angling shoots itself in the foot

Keith

Guest trent.barbeler

Hi Keith,

What a good post Keith, with many interesting points me thinks.

No time to respond myself just yet as I have urgent matters to attend to but I will post on this later on.

Regards,

Lee.

Guest Danny H

well said keith, like you the ouse is my local, I have never fished A.M or fished for barbel, but it will be a sad day if it is lost. ( I too think I'll have to take a stroll down there, no fishing gear, just for a look)

Have often wanted to fish for perch at A.M ( saw it on video once).

My other concern, is this. If A.M and K.F are lost, does that mean that other stretches (radwell, sherrington etc) will come under more pressure.

I think the answer is yes, and for non barbel anglers that is a pain.

What happens when these stretches then become the next big interest, do they too get sold!!! I'll give you one guess.

Guest trent.barbeler

Hi Keith T, and all,

To begin with, I find some of the comments surrounding the Kickles Farm issue to be a tad odd.

We had the farmer stating that he was fed up with people coming and going at all hours during the night. Presumably, if not some what factually, this unwanted attention was entirely down to the size of the barbel there and fueled by the fact that those same big fish were appearing in the press over and over again. He also stated publicly that he had concern for the fishes welfare to.

Undeniably, these are good reasons.

Why was it then, that the farmer chose to give the fishing rights to those who started his problems in the first place? Perhaps its just me, but I find this situation to be very strange.

Also strange, are all these assumptions that MKAA are going to loose their fishing rights at Adams Mill. If these assumptions are fact, then obviously some have been talking to the riperian owners either through their agent or to the owners themselves. I seriously doubt that the MKAA Chairman has been talking to anyone outside of his committee room.

Just where has all this talk of MKAA losing their fishing rights at Adams Mill come from?

As far as I am aware, this talk has been going around the barbel world for some time now, way before any announcement from the riperian owners agent that the fishing would be put out for tender next time around.

Gayhirst, (Kicles Farm/Adams Mill)is the barbel angling world's Mecca.

Just as was Redmire to carp anglers, Gayhirst is to barbel anglers.

Whether we choose to fish there or not is irrelevant. The fact is, those Gayhirst big barbel are truely magnificent fish.

Until the Carp Society took control of the fishing at Redmire, only a chosen few could ever fish there. As a lad, I grew up with the thoughts of fishing for carp at Redmire. Like many others of that time, my imagination would run wild seeing in my minds eye those huge carp swiming through fronds of thick weed.

When Chris Yates stunned the carp fishing world with his massive carp from Redmire, it still remained a closed shop for the privileged few.

The Carp Society, much to its credit changed all that. By booking in advance, any Carp Society member became able to realise a dream and a Redmire fish became possible for all.

In my hope of hopes, I want MKAA to retain its fishing rights at Adams Mill. As a passionate devotee of "open to all" river fishing, my loyalties will ALWAYS lie with fishing clubs that offer such fishing because undoubtedly, river fishing clubs offer their members freedom to fish, where ever they choose to fish. These fishing clubs are the lifes blood of all passionate river anglers and indeed, the rivers themselves.

But; If MKAA are not allowed to retain their fishing rights at Adams Mill for all the RIGHT reasons; What then?

Another syndicate?

Under no circumstances should this be allowed to happen. If we do, then barbel fishing who's history is steeped in "open to all" fishing will turn around a dark corner into the abyss.

What I would like to see if MKAA lose their fishing rights at Adams Mill, is for another "open to all" fishing club to take its place.

Should that be the Barbel Society? Here is my honest and unbiased opinion.

The Barbel Society is basically a fishing club like any other. In truth, perhaps not as democratic as most but a fishing club none the less. For £15 its members get a lot more for their money than most fishing clubs that I have ever been a member of. For an additional sum, they offer some quality barbel fishing to its members on some prime stretches of rivers.

Of great interest to me, is the fact that river venue's under their control are extremely well cared for. Barbel Society guys and galls sit on various local EA consultatives that ensure this on going care for the benefit of the rivers environment and their members.

I have no doubt, that if Adams Mill was added to the Barbel Society's list of available waters, the venue would be in good hands. No one, who is serious about barbel fishing could reasonably deny that fact.

Steve Pope? Well, it is true to say that Steve and myself DONT agree on some fishing related issue's and unless HE changes his mind, we never will. (that will make Steve smile)

Having said that and since I have got to know Steve fairly well, I count him as my friend. Yes, I had my reservations at first

but he is NOT the "anti Christ" that he is sometimes made out to be.

Steve's input into the Barbel Society is simply quite mind blowing. As a gaurdian of barbel, none come close. (apart from myself of course) Frankly, since I got to know him, he is hard to dislike.

Yes we still disagree, but we both have our say based on things as we see them. Then, we walk around our disagreements and carry on as friends sharing the same passion for our chosen species.

Those on Kickles Farm have done barbel fishing a great disservice in my opinion. For other barbel anglers fishing elsewhere on the River Great Ouse, there may yet be a high price to pay as the other Great Ouse clubs gather together possibly bringing in restrictions in a effort to protect their own venue's from similar threats to their members fishing. I have no doubt that this is coming.

No matter what the venue or size of fish living there, the great bastion of river fishing's ancient traditions are long and winding stretches that are and remain "OPEN TO ALL".

If we loose sight of this, then we loose sight of all our river angling freedom's.

Regards,

Lee.

Guest Keith Truscott

Nice one Lee, no more than we have come to expect from you but i'm sure you will agree with me that we would much rather be putting postings on here to help fellow anglers rather than trying to protect what has taken years to achieve.

I honestly believe that what has happened will put angling and the security of tenure of it back years.I surely wish that I was in a financial position to make the landlords on offer they could not refuse. I would then donate it to the BS to administer free of charge just to stop these mindless idiots getting there hands on it.

I was talking to a well respected founder member of the Catchers Club on the bank on Friday night who I half expected to stand up for the Kickles syndicate. Much to my delight he was more scathing than me in his critiscm of them advocating all sorts of unrepeatable on here forms of retribution.

This has probably been the most contraversial episode in angling and the specimen world for a very long time and I am not sure that those involved realise how deep feelings are running.

Danny, i'm sorry to say that your fears are probably well founded and from the whispers I hear it would appear that MK are going to lose it, hopefully not, but the likelyhood is yes. I also hear that another stretch is also under threat.

Where is it going to end, unfortunatly I would advise any angler catching a decent fish to keep quiet about it and catch it for your own pleasure. The Ouse from below Buckingham right through to below Kempston is despite what anybody might say capable of producing a fish to rival those at AM all a lot of it needs are pioneers, not the Kickles mob professing to be pioneers but are really just glory chasers.

I laughed during the close season when told of a short stretch I know that was up for grabs where the farmer was asking 5000.00 per season for the rights. There were no takers despite it holding good fish, this is not laughable any more and I bet somebody will take it.

Keith