Last fish of 2011

Leon Roskilly

It was beginning to look as though the last session of 2011 was going to be a blank.

A strong and gusty wind was whipping up waves, and fishing the shallows of the lee bank of the trout lake was proving unproductive.

I moved down the lee bank to try the deeps, and still zero interest.

I knew where the fish were, over on the other side of the lake where the wind would be blowing strongly in my face, bringing casts back towards me before the fly met the water.

Still, if that was where the fish were.......

Casting was as difficult as I knew it would be, I could just about make an inshore weed bed.

Still it did bring a couple of snatches of the lure before the wind strengthened more, sending me in search of of a more sheltered spot.

But knowing the fish were taking in the wind had me moving back again to try and find a casting spot with feeding fish.

With time running out, I tried a shallow corner swim where the wind was not quite coming straight at me.

As I drew the Montana across a weed bed, and slowly lifted the rod for a roll-cast, the line tightened and (not yet positioned for a roll-cast strike) all I could do was lift the rod higher hoping that the fish would hook itself.

The line shot off as the fish powered away, and I could see a good sized brown trout that really didn't want to come in.

For a while all I could do was keep turning the fish as it swam parrallel to the bank, outside of netting range, making an impressive bow-wave as first it swam off to my left, then back across me and off to my right, showing no signs of weakening.

After what seemed far too long a time it eventually came to the net and, as I drew the netted fish towards me, the barbless montana dropped from its mouth.

Plump, fit, beautifully marked, I estimated it as a little over 3lbs maybe nearly 4lb.

I could only admire it (it really was a beautiful specimen) for a little while before lowering the lip of the net and letting it swim off indignantly.

Three casts later and a rainbow grabbed the Montana, and headed off at high speed.

Around the same size, that too was released and then it was time to head home, thankful that the last session of 2011 had not been a frustrating blank, and pleased to have eventually caught in such difficult conditions.

:)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust